Quote Originally Posted by NOpainNOgain View Post
    IF shaq is the most dominate force ever why is he not considered the greatest player of all time,. Cough cough, Wilt chamberlain ANd bill Russell says hello. I see your point however. We can therefore agree to disagree.
    Bill Russell is an inch taller and thirty pounds lighter than Lebron James. The idea that he'd be even a competent big man in the modern NBA is laughable

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Oh yeah. Tim Duncan best power forward of all time.
    I agree... yet can't help but feel weird about it. Duncan's played a lot more center than PF during his career, but we all just agreed to call him a 4 because he was playing next to Robinson early on.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    You sir just made my day with that description. lol. That is the perfect description. Bc thats what it looked like. lol

Ill give you though that shaq was more dominating. But i ask you. How many championships would ewing would have won. Had jordan not been there?

Stat wise its close.
    shaq:
    Points 28,596 (23.7 ppg)
    Rebounds 13,099 (10.9 rpg)
    Blocks 2,732 (2.3 bpg)

Ewing:
    Points 24,815 (21.0 ppg)
    Rebounds 11,617 (9.8 rpg)
    Blocks 2,894 (2.4 bpg)

Ewing played for 17 yrs. Shaq for almost 20.
    Ewing had his shot in (great foul call on davis 3 pt shot) 94 but lost to John starks and the hou rockets. He had another shot in 95 (jordan lost to orl) but was knocked out by indy.

Ewing had his chance but did not deliver.
    You cared enough to post.

50 year comparison. Calling bill russell overrated.
    Not just overrated, but wildly overrated. It's the equivalent of trying to say that YA Tittle's the greatest QB ever. Dominating the pathetically bad competition of a league in its infancy doesn't mean shit.

- - - Updated - - -

So you give a category but no link. Ill wait for it. ty
    What, you're incapable of using basketball reference? And you're not aware of the league-wide trend towards shooting more threes and making them at a higher percentage? Shit, you've got to at least know the basics to be worth conversing with.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    They are a good regular season team.
    The last time Rose was playing, they were a good playoff team too. They lost to Miami, not some scrubby nothing team.

I guess getting to the ECF one time makes you good.
    Yeah, it pretty much does, unless you have a really stringent definition of "good".

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Yeah, it pretty much does, unless you have a really stringent definition of "good".

Getting to the ECF once does not make you good.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is no matchup for prime shaq.
    FT line
    Kobe
    The Dream

No real order.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes i did. and you know why. Because he guarded wilt. SO what makes you think he cant guard shaq. ok. ty
    Russell had help and a better team. Wilt also put up some video game numbers on Russell.

So, teams took three times as many threes and made about 3.3% more of them, but that's just bad defense, nothing to do with shooting. Is the higher FG% and number of shot attempts in the 80s a product of poor defense, or that just shows great fundamentals?

To anyone that's not busy being a giant fanboy for their childhood heroes, that gives a shit about analytics, and actually watches basketball, the picture is clear - the '80s were more freewheeling, less defense was played, and the tempo was higher. The result was many, many more easy baskets. As illegal defense rules have changed and the league has shifted towards blitzing defenses, the adjustment made was offenses predicated on long range shooting to stretch those defenses. Literally everyone that's around basketball at all is aware of this. It's not debatable in the least.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    Getting to the ECF once does not make you good.
    That's an unusual definition of good.

Also did someone really say Bill Russell could guard prime shaq? The guy who destroyed David Robinson and Tim Duncan is going to be shut down by someone 6"9, 220 pounds? Look I admit I have bias for shaq as he was my favorite player growing up. I can admit he is not the best center and he left a lot on the table with his work ethic. However when he came to play,from about 00-03 there is not another player besides Jordan and even that is questionable, that I would start a team with. There is no matchup for prime shaq.
    I'd take Duncan's career start to finish over Shaq's pretty easily. I can't disagree that the prime-Shaq is about as close to an automatic championship as you're getting though.

Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    Russell had help and a better team. Wilt also put up some video game numbers on Russell.
    Yeah, Chamberlain averaged 28.7-28.7 against Russell. Granted, higher tempo game so the numbers are kind of inflated, but he didn't exactly get shut down.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Yeah, Chamberlain averaged 28.7-28.7 against Russell. Granted, higher tempo game so the numbers are kind of inflated, but he didn't exactly get shut down.
    Higher tempo but Wilt was molested during that era. Back then fouls like McHale / Rambis were considered mating rituals.

*yawns on this discussion*

I'm kind of playing Elder Scrolls Online Beta instead of my PS4 right now so I've got TV screen on.

TL;DR Nets vs. Wolves right now omg. If Wolves win I'll call them fringe fringe contenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    If Wolves win I'll call them fringe fringe contenders.
    Fringe contenders for what, exactly? I think as long as they're healthy, they have a real good shot to be a playoff team, but I can't really see them making any kind of deep run. The West is just too loaded.

Contenders = This team could make it to the NBA Finals and maybe win it.
    Fringe Contenders = This team could make it to the Conference Finals and maybe win it.
    Fringe Fringe Contenders = This team could make it to the 2nd round and maybe win it.

If Wolves win tonight I think they could make it to the second round and possibly make it to the finals like Memphis did last year.

I should make a list of which teams are contenders, FC, and FFC. I'll do that right now.

West:
    Houston - Fringe Contenders
    San Antonio Spurs - Contenders (if healthy of course)
    Wolves - Fringe Fringe Contenders
    OKC - Fringe Contenders
    GSW - Fringe Contenders
    LAC - Contenders

It's actually hard to be called real contenders for me. OKC, GSW, Houston are all just "contenders" to normal people but I like to break it down more specifically.

East:
    Actually East is kind of different, these ranks don't mean much.
    Miami - Contenders
    Bulls - Fringe Contenders
    Pacers - Contenders

Anyone not mentioned is just a regular playoff team or nonplayoff.

To repeat:
    Contenders: "These guys should be able to make the NBA Finals." (Miami, Pacers, Spurs, LAC)
    Fringe contenders: "These guys could make it to their conference finals if things go right. I wouldn't bet them winning a title though." (Bulls, OKC, GSW, Houston)
    Fringe Fringe contenders: "These guys are 2nd round probables and maybe if God loves them we'll see them in Conference Finals. They're pretty solid." (Wolves, 2013 Memphis.)

Was gonna call Nets fringe fringe contenders based on salary and hype alone but they don't play like it.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh ya while I'm here I should say that my friends were talking about how Knicks are looking to fire Woodson and get a new coach. I'd have done that shit after last year's loss lol, no point doing it mid fucking season to salvage a "championship."

Don't worry though, they're looking at fucking no name no experience coaches as far as I know, in typical Knick fashion. No need to get a big name.

My friend said Nets are gonna fire Kidd soon and that Knicks should hire him as coach lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Minnesota is tearing shit up. Partly that Nets are just bad lol.

I mean. How do I say this. It's like the superstars are all sitting around injured or tired and old so these 3rd unit people who would never see a playoff minute on a young team are doing everything for regular season.

If Nets secure like 5th-7th regular season seed and everyone plays through injuries/age for playoffs (which is a if).....

Wow Kevin Love is so good lol. It's like 30-14 at end of first quarter.

.....then maybe they'll knock someone off for 2nd round spot.

I'm not allowed to say how it is! It's a Beta.

Well, it's actually really fun. That's all I can say lol.

The Spurs are so fuckin' legit. Anyone that doesn't like watching them doesn't like basketball.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have nothing to say. I will be drinking heavily tonight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bulls future looks dim. Rose is officially injury prone. At least it's not the same knee, but this doesn't look good. His brother also blew out his knees. We may have seen the best we'll ever see out of him.

The Bulls really got screwed by that last CBA and the Fifth Year 30% Max Rule. $94.8 million dollar deal was awarded to him prematurely. He hasn't earned that money.

Rose was a max contract guy as much as anyone else. In fact there are only a few players (4-9) in the league I'd truly offer a max contract, but the league doesn't work that way. That's why I love Spurs and their budget for good team-ness.

Wow I can't believe this guy in my sig. I don't even know what to say. It's so tragic. Was gonna make a joke like "let's rekindle that best PG discussion" but lol.....that'd be an even bigger dick move on my part than usual.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually Chicago was facing LAC Sunday and I was gonna change my sig to Chris Paul if LAC won. :/

10+ Year Old Account
    SHould have paid Nate Robinson.
    They should have, he only got a 2million dollar deal. They should think about trying to make a deal with Bobcats for Ben Gordan.
    Last edited by SL1200; 2013-11-23 at 07:14 AM.