10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Listen guys. This salary cap luxury tax thing is crazy, teams basically have to be under salary cap now or the payment goes sky high, meaning only like 2 max contracts. Who from Miami do you think will leave?
    I like it, needs to be even more strict, maybe it'll stop all the superstars from huddling around 3-4 teams, and we could actually call it a league.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I told you guys that I had a crush on Kyrie because he was the man. Did you guys see the uncle drew commercials?!?

Well I think this is his 2nd year so his contract should be over next year since rookie contracts last three? I could be making that up.

Most likely he'll stick with Cleveland another 5-6 years then realize they suck and bail. I just don't know where he'd go to be a contender for max salary.

Listen guys. This salary cap luxury tax thing is crazy, teams basically have to be under salary cap now or the payment goes sky high, meaning only like 2 max contracts. Who from Miami do you think will leave?
    If they are smart they get rid of Dwade. Bosh is the only big they got atm and if you look at last year they got crushed without him in the paint.

---------- Post added 2013-02-18 at 05:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I like it, needs to be even more strict, maybe it'll stop all the superstars from huddling around 3-4 teams, and we could actually call it a league.
    I wish baseball would do the same thing so teams like the Yank's wouldn't snipe top players from other teams. As an A's fan I know what it's like losing our best players to teams with unlimited payroll.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I hear this all the time and I find it's used more to excuse terrible managerial decisions than to stop superstars from teaming up.

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    I wish baseball would do the same thing so teams like the Yank's wouldn't snipe top players from other teams. As an A's fan I know what it's like losing our best players to teams with unlimited payroll.
    Nope sorry, be rich or go home. New York has the $$ at least that's gonna help me get a definitive win in one sport. (Not like NBA where crazy Russian owners and Manhattan money can't even beat a stupid team that has max players working together.)

And Pend there aren't really anywhere where 3-4 stars get together. I'm not counting LAL because Nash doesn't count, and Dwight was traded. Not counting Knicks because Tyson Chandler and Amare aren't really stars. Not counting Spurs because Tim Duncan was drafted (idk situation with Parker or Manu). Not counting OKC since they were ALL drafted and to their credit Harden left.

I'll count the Nets if you want since yes, Nets paid out the ass to get Joe Johnson -> Deron resigned -> gave Brook Lopez max -> is willing to trade for Joe Johnson......Nvm I won't count the Nets, that's front office being clever (since Brook and Deron were already there).

I WILL only count Miami Heat.
    Last edited by Blueobelisk; 2013-02-18 at 10:56 PM.

Nope sorry, be rich or go home. New York has the $$ at least that's gonna help me get a definitive win in one sport. (Not like NBA where crazy Russian owners and Manhattan money can't even beat a stupid team that has max players working together.)

And Pend there aren't really anywhere where 3-4 stars get together. I'm not counting LAL because Nash doesn't count, and Dwight was traded. Not counting Knicks because Tyson Chandler and Amare aren't really stars. Not counting Spurs because Tim Duncan was drafted (idk situation with Parker or Manu). Not counting OKC since they were ALL drafted and to their credit Harden left.

I'll count the Nets if you want since yes, Nets paid out the ass to get Joe Johnson -> Deron resigned -> gave Brook Lopez max -> is willing to trade for Joe Johnson......Nvm I won't count the Nets, that's front office being clever (since Brook and Deron were already there).

I WILL only count Miami Heat.
    Dwyade Wade resigned. Only two superstars joined up technically.

Ya but part of the conspiracy is that they were all going to meet up in Miami since Miami had the cap space. There's a fair chance if Miami had some toxic contracts like Amare or Joe Johnson that Dwayne might have left to join Bosh and Lebron somewhere else so they could fit them all.

I like the aspect that "max contracts" won't be given out quite as easily from the new luxury tax rules since teams have to choose more carefully, but I still feel like there will be a superstar problem if people opt to take lower salaries to play with other people. There just aren't enough stars to share between 30 teams.

Ya but part of the conspiracy is that they were all going to meet up in Miami since Miami had the cap space. There's a fair chance if Miami had some toxic contracts like Amare or Joe Johnson that Dwayne might have left to join Bosh and Lebron somewhere else so they could fit them all.

I like the aspect that "max contracts" won't be given out quite as easily from the new luxury tax rules since teams have to choose more carefully, but I still feel like there will be a superstar problem if people opt to take lower salaries to play with other people. There just aren't enough stars to share between 30 teams.
    To be fair, 30 teams might be too many. Historically speaking, the NBA has always been dominated by a handful of teams.

The low salary cap in basketball just means that winners will take less money to win, and the players who actually want market value for their services will never win. Salary is not the issue at all, it's the very nature of the sport. Playoff rotations are 7-8 players tops, so if you have 3 outstanding players and 4-5 role players you have yourself a juggernaut.

The salary cap works in football because 3 outstanding players doesn't matter as much when there's 22 starters and 30 rotation players. Baseball needs more of a salary floor than a salary cap. Can't have teams spending 50 mill when the winners are spending 100+.
    Last edited by Neazy; 2013-02-19 at 12:07 AM.

If I was the commissioner of the NBA, I'd reduce the NBA to 24 if I could. I'm sick of all this bullshit about small markets and relocating teams. Still 6 divisions, just four teams in each division now instead of five. Maybe down the line downsize to 20 teams, 5 divisions, 4 teams per division.

The next thing I'd do is reduce the number of games per season. 82 is way too fucking much, causes teams to have to rest players or risk their injuries like the Spurs had to rest on Heat game. There's also a bunch of games played that no one gives a fuck about, that's really bad. I'd lower the amount of games to somewhere between 54-62. Teams lose some revenue on ticket sales but we'll make up for it since there are less games played PLUS less teams, each game is valued more, since teams should also be better since there's more balance of stars, and I'd probably introduce some more nationally televised games besides Sunday ABC, some ESPN, and Thursday TNT.

But I'd probably get fired quicker than that Player's Union guy.

What your suggesting would destroy the NBA's revenue. You don't remove teams so you can raise the talent level, you remove them if they arent financially viable and most if not all NBA teams are. Small markets can be successful if they know what they are doing like the Spurs and the Thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by Neazy View Post
    The low salary cap in basketball just means that winners will take less money to win, and the players who actually want market value for their services will never win.
    Yet Kobe has been the highest paid player for a while and is also the most accomplished of any that are still around.

^ That's not gonna happen ever again under this new CBA. Kobe's salary next year is half of the salary cap.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If they lowered the amount of games they would lose ticket sales but they would get way more tv viewers. Who cares about Bucks playing Warriors on a Tuesday but if you made it where there wasn't as many games people would care a little more it's part of the charm of the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    If they lowered the amount of games they would lose ticket sales but they would get way more tv viewers. Who cares about Bucks playing Warriors on a Tuesday but if you made it where there wasn't as many games people would care a little more it's part of the charm of the NFL.
    Exactly! My man Skars understands our economic schemes.

-Teams are naturally better since the good players aren't spread as thin, making every team more exciting.

-Right now there are a total of 30 teams * 82 games /2 (since one game is shared by two teams)= 1230 games. Most of those games are shitty ones no one cares to watch. Under my 24 teams * 57 games /2 = 684 games.

-Right now there are 1230 games/180 days = 6.8 games per day on average. That's way too fucking much, no one is gonna catch all that. In fact, it's discouraging to think you could even try to watch many NBA games. Under my reign, there would be 3.8 games per day on average per season, MUCH more managable, and I'd space the days out better so there's some extra games on Sat/Sundays since people are home.

-# of ticket sales go down, but the price per ticket may go up since games are better quality and there are less of them.

-More spaced out locations between cities, since there are less teams, raises the value of ticket prices too since there isn't a cluster of teams in one area. (Ex. More people are likely to go to MSG from the Brooklyn area if there was no team in Brooklyn. Convert this to Orlando/Miami, Nets/Knicks, the 3 Texas teams rofl, 3 California teams, others that I can't think of.)

-I'd put less games on League Pass and work with partners to put more games on TV. League Pass would be a cheap but nice supplement.

Edit: Did I mention besides economics this would help the players rest more in between games and not have to play so many in a short span. Which leads to less injuries and more exciting games since players have more energy.

Come on guys, fuck Adam Silver, vote for me for in 2014!

---------- Post added 2013-02-18 at 08:25 PM ----------

While I'm fixing shit it in the NBA, lemme fix salary cap issues. Not for my 24 team scenario, but for the real world.

I'd group the NBA salaries in brackets. So like, $12.01-$Max = bracket 1, $8-12 is bracket 2, $5-8 is bracket 3, $0-5 is bracket 4

Then I'd set up some rules so that you can only have so many players on your roster in a certain bracket, but make it kind of tricky.

So like: Only allowed 2 people from bracket 1, 5 people from bracket 2, 12 people from bracket 3 at maximum in any given circumstances.

Tricky part: Say if you only have one person from Bracket 1, then you're allowed seven people in bracket 2. Or if you have no people in bracket 1, then you can have 10 people in bracket 2, etc.

This kind of limits the amount of max players you have, and also really limited the amount of medium players you have. I like the range of bracket 1 because there's a significant drop in salary. It's not like what Bosh and Lebron did, they took like $2.5 mil less salary per year. Who gives a fuck about a measely $2.5 mil if you're gonna win mad championships? It's not fair.

At least, some system like this.
    Last edited by Blueobelisk; 2013-02-19 at 01:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neazy View Post
    ^ That's not gonna happen ever again under this new CBA. Kobe's salary next year is half of the salary cap.
    Just saying you dont have to take significantly less money to win. Most championship teams had 1 max player on them, and if not max very close to it.

Blue thats still too much revenue you are losing. TV ratings isnt going to make up nearly enough. Bucks vs Pistons played on a 82 game schedule or a 41 game schedule still isnt going to interest a large audience. Its not just ticket revenue, a huge chunk of the revenue also comes from the things associated with watching a game live. The parking, the food, the memorabilia etc. all of which would be lost along with ticket sales.

Then take into account the economic effect it will have on the cities losing a team and the employees losing their jobs or being forced to get less money cause there are less games to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    Just saying you dont have to take significantly less money to win. Most championship teams had 1 max player on them, and if not max very close to it.
    You do with the new CBA. Kobe only got that contract under the old one. And the only teams I can think of recently winning with one superstar player taking near-max money are the Mavericks and Spurs. Even then both of those teams had one of the highest payrolls in the league during the years that they won.

Anyway I wish the NBA would cut down games and teams, but it will never ever happen. The only way you could convince the owners to make that big of a change would be if you could prove that they would for sure make a lot more money.

The NBA's revenue is so low because of TV deals. The NFL lockout ended so quickly because they get massive TV deals so they have A LOT more money to work with.

The NBA TV deals suck because:
    1) too many games a year
    2) the disparity between good teams and bad teams is huge. In the NFL the chance for the browns to beat the patriots isn't as low as the chance of the bobcats beating the spurs.
    3) there aren't enough superstars in the league to make it competitive.
    4) most terrible teams don't take the game seriously. Chicago is the perfect example of what a team should be no matter how good or bad. They don't have a superstar playing and they just play hard every night. If you have less than 20 or 25 wins at the end of a season that team should just become a D league team for a year. Haha.
    5) there is massive mismanagement of talent. Terrible players are making way too much money and even some superstars. Rishard lewis, elton brand, and gilbert arenes all getting $15+ million a year? Lulz. No player is worth $27 million. I'm looking at you Kobe.
    6) teams don't have an identity or system anymore. Too many bad teams rely on winning teams strategies without taking into account their different personnel. Soooo many teams now play a pick and roll game when they don't have skilled passing bigs or 3 point shooters. The spurs, bulls, nuggets, etc have their own system and play well within it.
    7) I think teams need to have a better option to keep players they draft. Maybe have the option to sign for more years or something so the player can't just use that team to become a good and just leave.

Medicine has failed us. They need to make artificial ACLs I mean come on. It's such a common occurrence and just instantly sidelines a player for a year.
    Last edited by Arcsecant; 2013-02-19 at 08:43 PM.

lol after hearing his comments on the Heat I think I just became a Lil Wayne fan
    Last edited by Jibjabb; 2013-02-20 at 01:07 PM.

What happened with him? I heard he got kicked out of the Heat LAL game because he was rooting for Lakers. Which is stupid because he obviously loves heat. I saw him in a Knicks playoff game last year AND he mentions Heat and Pat Riley in his songs.

Joe Johnson is clutch as fuck son. He hit a 3 to send a game vs. Milwaukee into overtime, then he hit a 2 buzzer beater to win the overtime.

At his concert in Houston he just got up there and said the Miami Heat complained about him and got him banned from NBA games. He then just started saying Fuck the heat, fuck Lebron James, fuck D-Wade, fuck Chris Bosh to the crowd. and ended it by saying oh btw he had sex with Chris Bosh wife. And the crowd went crazy. I found it pretty funny

NBA people with the Heat said its not true that he got banned tho

10+ Year Old Account
    Lebron is king.
    He will win and he will win big.
    /endthread