Quote Originally Posted by ptz View Post
    Well srsly, if any team can pay allot for years, its the Lakers with their TV deal, imo this CBA hits the small market teams, the real big market ones can sometimes afford to just be crazy if there is any kind of end game in sight. Obviously they will never resign him for the same contract, it will have to be way less.

I think in the 3rd year you pay 3 dollars for every dollar above the cap, and in the 4th year it gets to 4 dollars for every dollar. Dont really remember, i studied it last year, it was really harsh indeed. It used to be 1 dollar for every dollar above, now for "repeat offenders" as you call them it gets to 4 dollars to the dollar, and that money gets divided between the teams under the cap. Not really sure about the numbers, but should be in the ballpark.
    If that's true ($3 for every $1 above the cap) and the Lakers re-sign Dwight, keep Kobe and don't cut any payroll in other areas that means they'd have 100 mill in actual salaries while being 50 mill above the cap. That means their tax would be 150 mill and their total payroll would be $250 mill. That's 5x the normal salary cap in the NBA and I'm pretty sure that's higher than the Yankees pay with taxes.

That kinda lends weight to what Cuban was saying because if they re-sign Dwight they can amnesty Kobe and dump some bad contracts to get under the cap and give them flexibility in future years. If they decide to go all in pay that $250 mill pay roll to keep the team together in 2014, they need to make sure no one other than Dwight and Nash has a guaranteed contract in 2015 so that they have the flexibility to sign whoever they want.

I think they should go all-in in 2014 and rebuild later, but I'm not the one paying $250 mill.

New page. Alright let's discuss this: Can big market teams afford to go into luxury tax?

Well let's start off by discussion which teams are the big dick...I mean... big market ones.

It's like this:
    Tier 1:
    New York Knicks
    LA Lakers
    -----
    Tier 2:
    Chicago Bulls
    Boston Celtics
    -----
    Tier 3:
    Dallas Mavericks
    Brooklyn Nets
    -----
    Tier 4:
    All the poor bitches.

Tier 1 is the real deal $$$$ big dick players. Manhattan and LAL's best teams, they generate mad cash and because of their locations have the best sales and big popularity. (Although since Knicks sort of sucked last 15 years their popularity isn't that big.)

Tier 2...Are high valued franchises in some big name cities.

Tier 3...Have some decently valued franchises, with big $$ owners. Dallas is a big market and the franchise is like the 6th or so highest valued. Brooklyn is a good market too since it's New York.

So here's how it'll go. Tier 1 won't be afraid to go over the luxury tax but they're gonna make some cuts. New York probably won't be afraid to go over the luxury tax a little if they can keep a decent team, but the owner James Dolan will probably be a greedy fuck and try to get within cap eventually. LAL is pretty generous so I think they'll stay over cap, but not THATTT huge once Kobe is done with his contract. I don't think LAL will be afraid to spend money, but who knows how this new ownership will be since Bus died.

Boston and Chicago definitely won't go into luxury tax, if they do they'll try to back out of it immediately. As soon as Carlos Boozer's contract is over Chicago will probably ride Rose and never cross salary cap unless they can pull a big name. Boston won't cross either. Look how those guys scammed Rondo lol.

Dallas will probably try to stay within the salary cap if they can, but if they can't Mark Cuban won't be shy about going over and spending his own money to make them into contenders if he has the opportunity. Nets are gonna be in luxury tax for a few years, but even then I don't think they'll be shy about being over.

Every other team will try to be managable. We'll see what Miami does with the Wade/Bosh/Lebron situation. Clippers will probably try to avoid tax but may go a little over. Houston doesn't look show at throwing out contracts but I doubt they'll go over tax. Everyone else is just too broke to do it.

TL;DR: LAL and Dallas will try to remain within cap but will spend if necessary. Knicks will eventually come into cap. Boston and Chicago will always stay in cap. Brooklyn will be over cap for a long time. Everyone else will stay within cap.

^ Nets have to be tier 1. They're in the biggest market and that crazy Russian fuck is clearly willing to spend as much money as it takes. I'd put Miami in tier 2 as well altho they probably won't ever be big spenders as long as their big 3 is there. Players will forever take less money to play with Bron Bron.

I'd bump the Mavs up a spot too. Their payroll is low right now but that's by design: they wanted the free space to sign someone who can make a difference.

Deleted
    ok so did some research as it seems i was a bit off mark. Actually way off mark. First of all, the salary cap and the luxury cap are 2 very different things.

"While the soft cap allows teams to exceed the salary cap indefinitely by re-signing their own players using the "Larry Bird" family of exceptions, there are consequences for exceeding the cap by large amounts. A luxury tax payment is required of teams whose payroll exceeds a certain "tax level," determined by a complicated formula, and teams exceeding it are punished by being forced to pay one dollar to the League for each dollar by which their payroll exceeds the tax level.

The luxury tax level for the 2008–09 season was $71.15 millon.[12] For the 2009–10 season, the luxury tax level was set at $69.92 million.[13] The luxury tax level for the 2010–11 and 2012–13 NBA seasons was $70,307,000"

2nd of all, it seems that under the new CBA you pay penalties according to how much you are over the cap, the formula is pretty simple. Repeat offenders are those that have been over luxury tax for the last 4 years, and i asume its retroactive, otherwise no one would have to worry about this for another 3-4 years. Not sure about retroactivity.

"The 2011 CBA instituted major changes to the luxury tax regime. The dollar-for-dollar tax provisions of the previous CBA remain in effect through the 2012–13 season. Starting in 2013–14, the tax changes to an incremental system. Tax will be assessed at different levels based on the amount that a team is over the luxury tax threshold. The scheme is not cumulative—each level of tax applies only to amounts over that level's threshold. For example, a team that is $8 million over the tax threshold will pay $1.50 for each of its first $5 million over the tax threshold, and $1.75 per dollar for the remaining $3 million. In addition, "repeat offenders", subject to additional penalties, are defined as teams that paid tax in four of the five previous seasons."

Tax levels from 2013–14
    Amount over tax threshold Standard tax Repeat offender tax
    $5 million or less $1.50 $2.50
    $5 million to $10 million $1.75 $2.75
    $10 million to $15 million $2.50 $3.50
    $15 million to $20 million $3.25 $4.25

So, this will hurt ALLOT. I doubt even big market teams will afford to stay over the luxury tax each year, and pay like 3.50 for everything over 10mil. But still if luxury tax will be at about 70mil and the Lakers can get to a manageable 80mil... dunno, depends on Buss juniors.
    Last edited by mmoca9de240637; 2013-02-25 at 11:54 PM.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Well it'd be impossible for him to get a crazy high salary like that again under the new CBA lol.

Ya what Neazy said is true, the new luxury tax rules are fucking crazy, you simply cannot be above luxury tax or it's bad. I'm talking over by $1 because as long as you're an "offender" you're still gonna have to pay a lot.
    Yeah and I think with how the Buses are going to be I don't think Lakers are going to be the big spenders they once was.

That's what I was saying lol, just being an offender in the luxury tax is bad because you have to pay extra the next year whether you were $1 dollar or $30 million over.

Nah Neazy. Brooklyn is in New York but it's not in Manhattan, I can't put it in Tier 1. It's not really a top 5 valued franchise, the only reason I even listed it there was because of Provokov. It just won't generate enough money as a franchise itself to be in God-tier with LAL and NYK, which do; Brooklyn is relying on the owner.

Dallas is good but the reason it's in tier-3 as opposed to 2 is because the franchise isn't the same quality as tier's 1-4, no matter how much Mark Cuban is willing to spend. I know Mark Cuban is saving cap room but even so he's a smart guy and will try to stay within the cap if he can, not like those fucking crazy Nets who don't give a fuck.

Miami is a good franchise, pretty high valued, good location, but it's not as good as the others. I just don't see them going over the cap. Bosh WILL take a salary hit next year if he wants to play in Miami. I don't think Wade will. I think Lebron MIGHT take a little salary dip if they do win another championship.

Edit: Ya Skars I don't think those kids are willing to take a loss in profit for LAL, but LAL just generates so much income because of their popularity and location I have to keep them in tier 1.

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing to look at is now with caps the way they are states like Texas and Florida will have an edge because they don't have state taxes. It adds up not to mention cost of living is a lot lower in Texas and Florida then it is NY and CA you can get the same house for a 1/3 of the price.

I know it's always been that way but the Lakers would pay a player more so they didn't care about taxes but if you have a player that has a chance to play for Dallas or LA and both teams are offering 10 mil a year why would you pick L.A.

---------- Post added 2013-02-25 at 07:46 PM ----------

Manu gets 14 mill a year I kinda wish they would have traded him he can be great at times hell there has been times he has looked like the best player in the league but this year he seems kinda up and down and being the highest payed player on the team I don't know.
    Last edited by Skarsguard; 2013-02-26 at 12:42 AM.

That's what I was saying lol, just being an offender in the luxury tax is bad because you have to pay extra the next year whether you were $1 dollar or $30 million over.

Nah Neazy. Brooklyn is in New York but it's not in Manhattan, I can't put it in Tier 1. It's not really a top 5 valued franchise, the only reason I even listed it there was because of Provokov. It just won't generate enough money as a franchise itself to be in God-tier with LAL and NYK, which do; Brooklyn is relying on the owner.
    Doesn't matter. Giants and Jets play in Jersey, Yanks play in the Bronx and they're still big money teams.

Ya and Knicks made $81 mil profit last year, Yankees made $10 and $59 and Jets made $27 million. And Knicks were in luxury tax I think. Manhattan prices are simply more profitable than Brooklyn prices, but it's not fair to compare NBA to other sports. Especially since NBA is like only 3rd most popular sport in USA.

Not gonna argue against Manhattan being more profitable than Brooklyn, but Brooklyn is still NYC and NYC is the biggest market out there. Definitely bigger than Boston and Chicago and arguably bigger than LA.

Nah but Boston and Chicago are good cities (or states or towns or whatever the fuck they are. I'm not a fucking geologist.) and the thing about them is that they're the only team there. It's true Brooklyn is in NY, and it's not in the expensive borough Manhattan, but it still has to compete with the Knicks in terms of basketball. I think people still prefer to see Melo over Deron/Brook/Joe or whoever the franchise player of the team is.

Besides I looked at the prices and Chicago and Boston charge more on ticket sales for their games than Nets do. I think Nets probably have a surplus in jersey and merchandise sales momentarily since they got new uniforms, but eh that edge will be gone in like a year.

And just flat out numbers, Boston and Chicago, as franchises, have higher value than the Nets. Check forbes or something if you want to see.

Nah but Boston and Chicago are good cities (or states or towns or whatever the fuck they are. I'm not a fucking geologist.)
    Lol

/10char

Deleted
    geologist lol, i think thats the one that studies rocks. Geography is the word you're lookin for.

Apparently JJ Redick cried when he left Orlando. And I already thought they were retards. He was the second highest valued guy on the trading block behind Josh Smith and Orlando got fucking trash for him. Makes it even worse that the guy liked the franchise and was willing to stay for the rebuild.

Well at least they traded him to help the rebuild. OH WAIT. THEY DIDN'T GET ANY DRAFT PICKS. They just got some worthless scrub players. Lol God I wish I had a smart franchise like Spurs or OKC to fall back on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently JJ Redick cried when he left Orlando. And I already thought they were retards. He was the second highest valued guy on the trading block behind Josh Smith and Orlando got fucking trash for him. Makes it even worse that the guy liked the franchise and was willing to stay for the rebuild.

Well at least they traded him to help the rebuild. OH WAIT. THEY DIDN'T GET ANY DRAFT PICKS. They just got some worthless scrub players. Lol God I wish I had a smart franchise like Spurs or OKC to fall back on.
    Wouldn't you cry to if you had to move from Orlando to freaking Milwaukee.

Blue join the dark side :P

Orlando's been making some questionable ass fucking decisions. They can't even lose right. 29th place in the league is just embarrassing. At least the Bobcats have the best shot at that #1 overall pick.

Bunch of shitty games tonight. Tell me how the Bobcats got a prime time spot???

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neazy View Post
    Orlando's been making some questionable ass fucking decisions. They can't even lose right. 29th place in the league is just embarrassing. At least the Bobcats have the best shot at that #1 overall pick.

Bunch of shitty games tonight. Tell me how the Bobcats got a prime time spot???
    Probably so the camera can pan on MJ every 10 secs....

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    Probably so the camera can pan on MJ every 10 secs....
    ? Bobcats arent on cable today. Only game that is remotely national is Bulls-Cavs on NBATV

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    ? Bobcats arent on cable today. Only game that is remotely national is Bulls-Cavs on NBATV
    This man speaks the truth. But Kyrie isn't playing so lol...I'm gonna watch Brooklyn-Hornets if anything.

Tomorrow night is Knicks vs. Golden State, that should be sick. Thursday night TNT is boring. Bulls vs. 76ers. Unless both Derek Rose and Andrew Bynum make their debuts, I won't be impressed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey he's the one that said the Bobcats was going to be on national TV I didn't look it up. I figured the only way they would be on national tv is so they can pan and scan Jordan every time the Bobcats missed a shot.