No idea what to play

Having been out of town during the last beta weekend I wasn't able to test any classes. I'm now seriously clueless as to what I want to play.

I like the idea of a sith warrior. I also like the idea of a sith assassin (dps or tank) due to stealth. Also, the Imperial Agent Operative is appealing due to stealth, dps, and the option to go healing with stealth. A Sniper is also appealing due to their low popularity...but they seem like glass cannons (I also can't get the picture of Kerrigan out of my head when thinking about a Sniper).

Looking at a lot of posts, many seem to suggest that the dps between the classes is roughly 5% of each other in pve...so, I guess the main dps question would be which are "better" suited for pvp situations. Stealth has obvious advantages...but, would I prefer to take the tank/stealth or healing/stealth route.

In WoW, I mainly raided as a rogue, and holy paladin. So, both stealth dps, and healing are concepts I understand. I have never really officially tanked, but the fact that they can use their tanking abilities in pvp is quite interesting...and also the best time to learn tanking is when everyone is relatively clueless themselves.

I guess I'm mainly trying to get people's experience on the ACs they've played. Has anyone played both an assassin and operative? Which seemed more appealing/useful/etc?

Deleted
    Operatives are better on the stealth side of things, Assassins play more like warlocks than rogues.

Well since you're looking for overall experiences with ACs and not just the ones you prefer, I'll give you my 2 cents. I played the marauder, juggernaut, and mercenary.

Marauder:

While it seemed awesome to be able to dual wield at first, the actual gameplay seemed pretty lackluster to me. Don't get me wrong, marauder is definitely an awesome class, and very fun to play. Compared to the other ACs I played though, marauder seemed to be the least fun. The problem doesn't lie in their mechanics, that's just fine. It's like playing a rogue from wow, except you keep your combo points from battle to battle (Same for the juggernaut). And instead of 5, you have 10-12 (Forget how many), and no big finishers to dump them all. You basically get 2 rage generators that do moderate damage or very poor damage, and the rest are all rage spenders that range in damage, viscous slash being the least.

The problem I saw with marauder is that you give up so much to do very little more DPS than the juggernaut, its 1 saber counterpart. You wear medium armor, and can ONLY spec into damage dealing trees. The juggernaut can wear heavy armor, do almost as much (if not the same amount) of damage os the marauder, and can tank OR DPS.

Juggernaut:

I only played the juggernaut briefly, but from what I can tell are pretty good contenders to the marauder. They use many of the same abilities, with a few different ones. Juggernauts provide more raid utility than marauders (and by that i mean debuffs on the enemy), and, personally, fulfill the immersive experience of the game moreso than the dual wielding marauder. This, however, probably won't deter me. I'm still thinking about going marauder because ofm y extensive rogue and fury warrior experience in WoW.

Mercenary:

This is the class I leveled the most over the beta (level 25). It was really quite fun, and the dual pistol gameplay couldn't be better. Bioware couldn't do a better job of making you feel like a badass gunslinger. They wear heavy armor, do lots of damage, and do it all from a ranged standpoint. I will warn that the class is particularly easy to play. Their heat resource is very unique, and easy to manage once you get the hang of it. Bioware even gives you a vent heat ability that, in the event you do escalate to high levels of heat, will simply burn it away. Kind of an "Oh shit" button. The mercenary has (From what I've seen) probably the best AoE ability out of all the ACs. Their rain of fire ability does massive amounts of damage and is obtained at level 10, far in advance than any other class. It sports a long cooldown, but that's what your other AoE abilities are for (Explosive darts and such). The class itself is very fun to play, and if you like jetpacks it's probably the class you want to play.

My gameplay is pretty biased because I didn't experiment with the many other ACs, so take my words with a grain of salt.

I don't know a lot about the game Im not on beta but the sorc. and the sage both look interesting to me. Level as dps and respect if you wanna heal end game.

From my experience in the beta, I got enough time over 2 weekend tests to play all 4 empire classes. Sith Inquisitor Sorcerer and Bounty Hunter Mercenary were absolutely amazing, and will be my main/alt. I felt the same about the Sith Warrior class, sounds fun but its more of a grind than anything else.

The Imperial Agent though, I tried so much to love but just couldnt. The cover system is more of a pain than a bonus to the class (especially so when you are doing group flashpoints etc) you spend more time rolling around for cover so you can do some attacks than you do actually attacking. by the time you set up for a shot, the mob is dead and the group is moving to the next target which is out of range.

Oh and if you are unsure if you want to roll empire or republic, go republic first and dabble around in there, because once you go empire and watch their awesome stories unfold and get to just be a total bad*ss to everyone... the republic just become a bunch of uptight stuffy losers lol

But yeah, my breakdown of awesomeness is SI > BH > SW > IA

Sith inquisitor is your ultimate shaman class (I dont care what people keep saying about SI = mage, tank/dps/heal and lightning = shamans)
    Bounty Hunter is more your Hunter/Mage hybrid... big damage, AoE fun

but hey, end of the day, it all depends on what type of gameplay you enjoy most, so get into the game and play around, see what you like first then make the decision. Nobody says you only have to make 1 toon =)

Quote Originally Posted by WookieZ View Post
    but hey, end of the day, it all depends on what type of gameplay you enjoy most, so get into the game and play around, see what you like first then make the decision. Nobody says you only have to make 1 toon =)
    This. I keep on having the feeling that I HAVE to know what I'm going to play as if it's another beta weekend. When I stop to think about it -- for all intents and purposes -- there could possibly be 7 years of this game.

I think I'm just getting caught up in the "launch rush."