10+ Year Old Account

The force is real!

CERN scientists claim to have found evidence for it:

http://gizmodo.com/5866354/scientist...find-the-force

first i was like:" haha, no"
    now that i see its linking to people who actually broke physics(theoretical study anyway) I'm: "wait, wut?"
    now that i see that they may how found the higgs boson:"...holy shit..."
    Last edited by mordale; 2011-12-09 at 08:33 PM.

CERN has been making lots of discoveries lately. A couple weeks ago they broke the most fundamental laws of physics – that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. Not sure if its been confirmed or not yet but they have a lot of evidence stacked up for it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sweet, they managed to find Midochlorians.

On a more serious note, it is cool that they may finally be proving Higgs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    CERN has been making lots of discoveries lately. A couple weeks ago they broke the most fundamental laws of physics – that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. Not sure if its been confirmed or not yet but they have a lot of evidence stacked up for it.
    It still hasn't been disproven. They saw the results and went 'OMG WHAT THE FUCK' and checked them and checked them again. They tried finding errors for hours and hours and hours. They couldn't. They are giving the results to researchers around the world to look for errors. They currently can't.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    This is pretty awesome. I can't wait to see how it plays out.

CERN is the future for our race. Let us hope and pray that everything they discover that is useful to the human race isn't swept under the rug due to greed (see- alternative energy/fuel) or funding being withdrawn (see - NASA).

10+ Year Old Account
    Just in time for ToR!

I wish they would stop calling it the god particle, the last thing this world needs is more gods. But I am entusiastic about them finding proof of it. It's been a while since they started. Also, I wouldn't have too high hopes for neutrinos traveling faster than light. It would mean a fundamental flaw in the most established theories of physics and that is a big step to overcome, using occam's razor, it's far more likely there's some flaw in the experiment or the setting. But, of course, we should keep an open mind.

MainTankasin - Consular/Inquisitor Tanking

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozires View Post
    I wish they would stop calling it the god particle, the last thing this world needs is more gods. But I am entusiastic about them finding proof of it. It's been a while since they started. Also, I wouldn't have too high hopes for neutrinos traveling faster than light. It would mean a fundamental flaw in the most established theories of physics and that is a big step to overcome, using occam's razor, it's far more likely there's some flaw in the experiment or the setting. But, of course, we should keep an open mind.
    Everything has the chance to be disproven. Yeah, finding out that light isn't the fastest traveling particle would kind of shake everything up a bit- but it will spark a more imaginative generation. Once one thing is found to be false, people start doubting everything else. It broadens everyones perspective on things and offers the next group of scientists a challenge to find out more and more and more.

I see The Force is the lazy mans way of saying "I don't wanna get up and reach/move it my self".
    You must become a Master Baiter if you want to want to master the One-eyed Fish of the Dark Caverns!

Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    first i was like:" haha, no"
    now that i see its linking to people who actually broke physics(theoretical study anyway) I'm: "wait, wut?"
    now that i see that they may how found the higgs boson:"...holy shit..."
    Then I was like "omg next there going to create a time machine and take over the world"

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Win! lol I wish to be a jedi! Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    That was.....much more than a couple weeks ago. They also haven't broken any law, and the "evidence stacked up for it" consists of one initial experiment and one followup that ruled out one potential measurement error.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even if they can find the elusive Higgs, and find a way to harness raw power from it, the odds of a single person being able to utilize the "force" are slimmer than we would hope. However, if anyone were to have the Higgs "force" within them.... well the interaction with machines and the like designed to activate around it could be astounding.

I can see it now

30 years in the future, a t.v. add comes on "Come get your Higgs injection today! Power your TV, power your Car, power your holograph machine! (i can dream...right? ) A simple medical out patient procedure, and YOU can have the world at your finger tips. Play video games with your mind? Surf the internet 3.5 with your eyes closed! The Higgs injection! Get yours TODAY! side effects may include but are not limited to, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, upset stomach, certain forms of cancer known to the state of California, lightning bolts from your finger tips, extreme persuasion over others thoughts, extreme mental concentration, moral dilemma, choking loved ones without using ones hands, heart burn, eczema. bubonic plague-like sore on the gums and face, and much much more!.... Visit your nearest Holo-Doc™ Today!
    If you love / enjoy WoW in its current state, don't bother with my signature...with all due respect, its not for you. (note: I am happy and respectful though, of your enthrallment with WoW... if not a little envious!)
    My dirty little nefarious nautical profession secret - its where I go to get my fix

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orodoth View Post
    I can see it now

30 years in the future, a t.v. add comes on "Come get your Higgs injection today! Power your TV, power your Car, power your holograph machine! (i can dream...right? ) A simple medical out patient procedure, and YOU can have the world at your finger tips. Play video games with your mind? Surf the internet 3.5 with your eyes closed! The Higgs injection! Get yours TODAY! side effects may include but are not limited to, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, upset stomach, certain forms of cancer known to the state of California, lightning bolts from your finger tips, extreme persuasion over others thoughts, extreme mental concentration, moral dilemma, choking loved ones without using ones hands, heart burn, eczema. bubonic plague-like sore on the gums and face, and much much more!.... Visit your nearest Holo-Doc™ Today!
    lol so amazing

The Higgs Boson is basically just a particle that gives matter the property of mass and allows that mass to interact with space. Sort of the same concept as antiparticles being the particle that give the property of electric charge.

That said, if there was a way to interact with and manipulate the Higgs (which I doubt there is--it's just something that's there) the result would probably be something more like Mass Effect than the Force.

Deleted
    Gotta love how they state that 'Switzerland is the most boring country AFTER belgium' lol.
    Utterly clueless writer :>

OT: I always knew I was Force-sensitive

10+ Year Old Account
    Yay for a giant step in physics, though I would have been more excited if there was something else down there. Reaffirming current physics models is great and all, but disproving them (and finding something even more screwed up) is even more fun.
    Eire - 50 Balance and Kinetic Combat Shadow, Master Zhar Lestin server. Ace guild