Deleted

Network Error (dns_unresolved_hostname) - Connecting to one website only

Hey Guys, hope some of you tech savy people might be able to help me out with an issue I have.

Yesterday I was having problems connecting to my own personal website with random message such as "Cannot find www.swtorowned.com" when trying to connect. Through out the day I could connect sometimes but not all the time.

Today the issue has got worse. Now when I try to connect to my site I get:

Network Error (dns_unresolved_hostname)

Your requested host "www.swtorowned.com" could not be resolved by DNS.

For assistance, contact your network support team.
    I have tried almost everything in regards to clearing my system cache, running ccleaner to clear browser cache, temp files and also using the command ipconfig /flushdns in CMD. I get the same error above in both Chrome and IE. I also cannot connect to the site via FTP.

I posted on the SWTOR forums asking for someone to try the website from there computer and got 2 replies stating they connected to it no problem. Because of this im guessing its either a problem with my ISP or my computer. I posted a support request on my ISP forum but got no reply yet, i'll follow it up tomorrow if I get no response.

It's killing me that I cannot connect to the one website I really need to!

Anyone have any suggestions?

---------- Post added 2011-12-09 at 09:04 PM ----------

OMFG after posting this message I refresh the page and it worked ok :O

I'm sure it will happen again so im would still be interested in your thoughts at what might be causing this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it just this one website you get this issue with? (Does http://www.google.com still work?)

If so it's a problem with the way that the websites DNS servers are set up. (The CNAME doesn't match AAA address) - In english that means www.swtorowned.com isn't redirecting to its IP address counterpart. (eg: 88.67.55.12)

Deleted
    It is just the one website mate yea.

If so it's a problem with the way that the websites DNS servers are set up. (The CNAME doesn't match AAA address) - In english that means www.swtorowned.com isn't redirecting to its IP address counterpart. (eg: 88.67.55.12)
    If this is the problem, would that mean others can access my website but for some reason I can't?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ash1ey View Post
    If this is the problem, would that mean others can access my website but for some reason I can't?
    It means that a group of people attempting to connect via the DNS server that isn't directing properly won't be able to load a current page. Yes.
    Others connecting via a different route or DNS server maybe be able to resolve the IP correctly and be able to see the site.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    It means that a group of people attempting to connect via the DNS server that isn't directing properly won't be able to load a current page. Yes.
    Others connecting via a different route or DNS server maybe be able to resolve the IP correctly and be able to see the site.
    OK I understand. So would this be a problem I can resolve with my host, registrar, ISP?

Thanks for all your help.

10+ Year Old Account
    OK I understand. So would this be a problem I can resolve with my host, registrar, ISP?

Thanks for all your help.
    Not really.... It will usually resolve itself in time due to the way the DNS systems works.

Deleted
    OK bud thanks a lot for your help

Don't listen to these guys. Try changing your DNS first.

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Demoness View Post

Thanks will try that if the problem starts again.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demoness View Post

If there was a change in the server's DNS routing, changing your DNS isn't really going to matter until the change propagates anyway. In this case, though, it looks like the DNS entry is fine.

Code:
    ; <<>> DiG 9.7.3 <<>> @localhost swtorowned.com
    ; (2 servers found)
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 23362
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;swtorowned.com.                        IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    swtorowned.com.         3600    IN      A       46.252.197.1

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    swtorowned.com.         3600    IN      NS      ns73.domaincontrol.com.
    swtorowned.com.         3600    IN      NS      ns74.domaincontrol.com.

;; Query time: 505 msec
    ;; SERVER: ::1#53(::1)
    ;; WHEN: Fri Dec  9 21:10:34 2011
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 100
    Looks good to my webserver's DNS and I checked it on 8.8.8.8 (Google's public DNS).

OP, I'd try it again on your ISP's default DNS (if you'd changed yours). If there's still an issue, you might want to call/email your ISP to have them take a look at their servers to see why the DNS entry isn't updating.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    If there was a change in the server's DNS routing, changing your DNS isn't really going to matter until the change propagates anyway. In this case, though, it looks like the DNS entry is fine.

Code:
    ; <<>> DiG 9.7.3 <<>> @localhost swtorowned.com
    ; (2 servers found)
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 23362
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;swtorowned.com.                        IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    swtorowned.com.         3600    IN      A       46.252.197.1

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    swtorowned.com.         3600    IN      NS      ns73.domaincontrol.com.
    swtorowned.com.         3600    IN      NS      ns74.domaincontrol.com.

;; Query time: 505 msec
    ;; SERVER: ::1#53(::1)
    ;; WHEN: Fri Dec  9 21:10:34 2011
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 100
    Looks good to my webserver's DNS and I checked it on 8.8.8.8 (Google's public DNS).

OP, I'd try it again on your ISP's default DNS (if you'd changed yours). If there's still an issue, you might want to call/email your ISP to have them take a look at their servers to see why the DNS entry isn't updating.
    Thanks for replying. Will deffo try my ISP tomorrow. I had access to it for a couple of hours again earlier. Now im back to same error message. Strange it works for a short period then stops again :/

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for replying. Will deffo try my ISP tomorrow. I had access to it for a couple of hours again earlier. Now im back to same error message. Strange it works for a short period then stops again :/
    If they made a change to their nameservers or changed hosts, it can take upwards of 24-48 hours (depending on their DNS configuration) to propagate to the rest of the web. Within that time frame, the site can come and go for some people and be perfectly fine for others. I don't know if that's what's happening here, though, as this is the first I've heard of the site.

[Edit: Usually once you have hit the site, it's cached locally, though. You might try flushing your local DNS cache to see if that would help. Open a command prompt (start, run, type in "cmd" without quotes, and press enter) and type in "ipconfig /flushdns" (no quotes again). This will wipe out your local DNS cache in case you have some bad info locally. When you visit sites again, they'll re-cache, so you don't have to worry about losing anything.]
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2011-12-10 at 02:27 AM.

Deleted
    It will be 48 hours tomorrow since the problem started so i'll keep my fingers crossed it sorts it self out.