Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Gurthalak questions

Hey, I just read that this is gonna be the BiS weapon for warriors (correct me if im wrong) although it doesnt have any stats? Is the proc that good? I mean how much damage does it deal? And can it spawn more than one tentacle at once? I saw it cast mind flay, does it slow like the normal mind flay? Please help out here

Deleted
    I've got the raidfinder version of it. The tentacle does 90k damage over 10 seconds and you can spawn more than one if you are lucky.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tankz0 View Post
    Is the proc that good? I mean how much damage does it deal?
    about 120k-140k per proc on average for me.

Quote Originally Posted by tankz0 View Post
    And can it spawn more than one tentacle at once? I saw it cast mind flay, does it slow like the normal mind flay?
    Yes and yes.

I was pvping today and I believe they hotfixxed this sword. It appears that two tentacles can now target the same enemy target.

Deleted
    Oh okey thanks for your answers

I can also confirm that the slow from the tentacle mind flay works on players. Tried it on a friend in a duel.

Edit: How about the damage from the mind flay? Is it 10k per second or something?
    Last edited by mmoc602f0fe87c; 2011-12-09 at 11:00 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Guess it depends on what version you have. In a raid mine ticks for a bit over 13k.

I got the LFR version yesterday and unenchanted (cept a cheapy one from the guild bank, wasn't sure about it, no "proper" greens stats and all) it was contributing between 4% and 10% of my overall damage.

I'm still not 100% sure on this, as while it has way more DPS and strength than the weapons I was using (normal zoids for the OH and normal Sulfuras for the MH), askmrrobot claims its far from ideal.

That said, I'm also fairly sure that mrrobot isn't taking into account the proc damage, and a few other threads i've seen around claim the proc is making this sword worth using...well, the normal version at least. not 100% sure about the LFR version.

For nowe I plan to properly enchant and play around with it and see how I go.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

It varies a lot, i've had like 1 proc during an entire DS boss encounter, but also 4 spawning within 30 seconds, on average i'd say it does about 10-16% of my damage, as fury, with 1 normal version. Which seems to be more than the legendary staff does for the casters in my raid group, safe to say it's amazing at the moment, but I'd not be surprised to see it nerfed soon.

I was lucky enough to see 3 of these on my first madness kill on 25man. I currently have 2 of them and am loving it, the tentacles tick for about 13k per second and have and usually tick during the up time 8 times. They made up about 16% of my dmg overall on a raidfinder last night. Ill re-post on tuesday and update with my findings.

I'm going to repost what I said on EJ forums.

I've been doing a -lot- of testing with Gurthalak. Here's what I found.
    It does not scale with attack power or spellpower.
    It does not directly get more ticks with haste, even with bloodlust (though more haste means more tentacle procs)
    It seems to inherit the player's spell hit and the Mind flay casts (not ticks) go off the spell hit table; 88+ dummy had a few misses with 8.02% melee hit and 9.4% spell hit and it missed occasionally. I also went to the 85 dummy with about 5.04% melee hit (5.9% spell hit) and never saw a miss over a sample size of 542 ticks.
    It does not seem to inherit the player's melee crit as a post above me indicates. While on the 85 dummy with a lot of agility gear and no crit which pushed me to 11.62% melee crit and 1% spell crit and the same sample size of 542, 9 of those 542 ticks were crits. Assuming theres no crit suppression on the 85 dummy, this is a crit rate of about 1.66%, which is strongly in favor of inheriting the player's spell crit.
    Baseline damage of normal Gurthalak proc is 11155. Each proc, assuming each cast hits casts 3 mind flays for 3 ticks each, totalling 9 ticks per proc. It inherit's damage aura's from the player that increase all damage, so a player in berserker stance will increase the damage from 11155 to 12270.5. Also, changes to the player's damage modifier won't affect mind flays already being cast (i.e. a mind flay starts casting for 1 ticks of 11155 in defensive stance, warrior goes berserker stance. it continues to tick for 11155, but the next spell it casts will benefit from berserker stance, hitting for 12270). Furthermore, it is also affected by damage-taken modifiers on the boss, be it all damage, or spell damage debuff.
    LFR baseline damade is 9881. If it scales linearly to heroic, heroic -should- hit for 12429/tick.
    Crits are 150%. They also inherit the player's meta gem crit bonus, increasing crit damage to 154.5%
    Can confirm there is no ICD as I had up to THREE tentacles attacking the same target at the same time, and all 3 dealed their own damage (combat log easily showed this as 3 ticks of mind flay in the same second as well as numbers popping up on my screen).
    If you happen to be an unholy DK, the proc's damage increases with the amount of mastery you have.
    The proc does not inherit the death knight's 200% spell crit modifier; it still crits for 150% modified by crit meta.
    Also weapon-based attacks not considered to come from Gurthalak will -not- proc it. This is from a sample size of 633 slams from the main hand and the only source of rage was battle shout and berserker rage, absolutely no autoattacks at all. I had gurthalak in my offhand and a garbage green in the mainhand. There were -zero- procs. HOWEVER, if you are attacking with a non-weapon-based melee attack, such as Bloodthirst, then it -CAN- proc, regardless of what hand the weapon is in as long as it is equipped.
    Last edited by Ssateneth; 2011-12-10 at 04:19 AM.

It does between 4% to 12% of my damage. 4% was observed on Madness Normal kill. The wipes before that also yielded near consistent 4%. Not sure if this weapon is not good for fights requiring quick target swaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssateneth View Post
    Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssateneth View Post
    Also weapon-based attacks not considered to come from Gurthalak will -not- proc it. This is from a sample size of 633 slams from the main hand and the only source of rage was battle shout and berserker rage, absolutely no autoattacks at all. I had gurthalak in my offhand and a garbage green in the mainhand. There were -zero- procs. HOWEVER, if you are attacking with a non-weapon-based melee attack, such as Bloodthirst, then it -CAN- proc, regardless of what hand the weapon is in as long as it is equipped.
    Please correct me if I read this wrongly. Does this mean Gurthalak will proc from Slam if it is equipped on the MH? RB comes from both weapons and BT, HS, Cleave are all non weapon attacks. If this is the case Slam would make it efficient to equip Gurth in the main hand.

Deleted
    How much difference is an Arms warrior going to see compared to Experimental Specimen Slicer?

Quote Originally Posted by junialum View Post
    Please correct me if I read this wrongly. Does this mean Gurthalak will proc from Slam if it is equipped on the MH? RB comes from both weapons and BT, HS, Cleave are all non weapon attacks. If this is the case Slam would make it efficient to equip Gurth in the main hand.
    He only used the sword in his offhand because he wanted to test from which styles it does procc then.

The sword should be always in your mainhand due to the far higher proccrate. (more attacks with it)

I do have x2 of Gurthalak LFR Version, and "tested" it a little on Ultraxion.
    Main problem that i had was raid positioning (explanation follows), for some reason spawned tenticles were unable to attack Ultraxion due to range maybe and/or inner bug.
    After analyzis of recount and WoL logs, i found that theres 0 (zero) damage, or even mention of Tenticle / Other source of damage, so for around 14 attempts we did on Ultra, tenticles didn't attacked him BUT i have seen tenticles spawn but not attacking (either no buffs listed that could mention tenticle spawn).
    Proof log, while wielding two of Gurthalaks
    Code:
    worldoflogs.com/reports/f4tj7xxl0osud4tl/details/0/
    Later on, i've joined LFR for Ultraxion, and found that tenticles indeed spawn (dunno rate, its a mess you know) and indeed attacks Ultraxion, but for some reason damage it did was around 1% of my dps, what leads into conclusion that the attack range of Tenticle is short and/or bugged on Ultraxion (i.e. it does attack sometimes, sometimes dont).
    Well, didnt had a chance to try it on other encounters yet, curious to see what % of my damage it will do (expecting 7 to 10% according to wowhead)

Anyone know how much HP the tentacles have?

Quote Originally Posted by meteo View Post
    He only used the sword in his offhand because he wanted to test from which styles it does procc then.

The sword should be always in your mainhand due to the far higher proccrate. (more attacks with it)
    Thanks. There was a reply on EJ that said doesn't matter which slot it was in.

I have done multiple ~70 mil parses with a competent unholy DK on a heroic dummy and it does approximately 4½ percent of your overall damage (the percentage might be a little higher during raids because of melee haste and damage taken from bosses that produce more ability output. This was about the same amount of damage heroic strike did with 3/3 incite specced.

It does inherit the masters Crit which is quite good news for warriors since the damage is quite high if it happens to proc during for example Recklessness. The fact tho is that it is very RNG and the damage bonus it _ALWAYS_ gains for unholy death knights mastery is far superior to us. My average tentacle damage was around 13,6k when my friends tentacle was at about 17,2.

Oh yes and another thing I almost forgot to mention is that while I tested this I had exactly the melee hit cap which is 8 percent which resulted in 406 mind flays hitting/critting and 13 misses. I havnt done the exact math but the hit rating requirement seems weird atleast when your solo. Unholy DKs are also spell hit capped (17 percent) which yet again throws dks a milestone before warriors.

In summary I wouldnt take it over a decent DK just because its new and shiny, atleast I am not going to replace my heroic sulfuras for even the normal version unless three of them would happen to drop. Arms especially is a very weapon damage sensitive spec and the huge max damage drop with using the normal Gurthalak instead of the heroic version of Yorsoghs weapon would instantly decrease your Mortal strikes and Slams damage by a good 2000 which gets even larger when you crit so the chance of your random spawn tentacle being better is very very low.

Quote Originally Posted by Warship View Post
    I do have x2 of Gurthalak LFR Version, and "tested" it a little on Ultraxion.
    Main problem that i had was raid positioning (explanation follows), for some reason spawned tenticles were unable to attack Ultraxion due to range maybe and/or inner bug.
    After analyzis of recount and WoL logs, i found that theres 0 (zero) damage, or even mention of Tenticle / Other source of damage, so for around 14 attempts we did on Ultra, tenticles didn't attacked him BUT i have seen tenticles spawn but not attacking (either no buffs listed that could mention tenticle spawn).
    Proof log, while wielding two of Gurthalaks
    Code:
    worldoflogs.com/reports/f4tj7xxl0osud4tl/details/0/
    Later on, i've joined LFR for Ultraxion, and found that tenticles indeed spawn (dunno rate, its a mess you know) and indeed attacks Ultraxion, but for some reason damage it did was around 1% of my dps, what leads into conclusion that the attack range of Tenticle is short and/or bugged on Ultraxion (i.e. it does attack sometimes, sometimes dont).
    Well, didnt had a chance to try it on other encounters yet, curious to see what % of my damage it will do (expecting 7 to 10% according to wowhead)
    Its all about range. Queue for the upper spire and try finding the sweetspot, not too far away and not right on the edge and the tentacles will appear and be able to cast mind flay. If you want proof then view logs of other players on WOL and you will see people who have messed up and people that havnt.
    Last edited by Strafir; 2011-12-10 at 01:11 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    4.5% just seems low, I've done two firelands clears, half a DS clear and a full LFR clear and the only time I've had my contribution near those 4.5% is on Ultraxion (and Alysrazor but that's a range issue with the adds). My average seems to be 7-8%.

This is as arms.
    Last edited by Siri; 2011-12-10 at 01:37 PM.