Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Niridia View Post
    Well you can't deny the negative impact of the _cross realm_ LFG tool. I still hope BW won't do the same mistake.
    I saw a guy literally sit in Meridian (RIFT) for 4 hours trying to find a group for a dungeon. On a low pop server cross realm LFG is still a blessing.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    Looks great, a little skeptical on the legacy system but should work out fine.
    As long as it doesnt affect combat im cool with it.I dont wanna be forced to reroll a class I prefer just to make it stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by muxx View Post
    leveling for me was vanilla when we had to walk to dungeons and find groups in general chat of the zone. which is what swtor beta weekend was. I didnt mind it but having to replace people 20 times before we could go into the flashpoint was annoying and reminded me of vanilla which i dont really feel like going through again.

As far as MoP, if my friends all decide to play it then yeah ill play if not ill probably be playing firefall with them. I'll have to see when the time comes, so far the beta for Firefall has been amazing
    That's why there are Guilds and Friends Lists. Even pre-launch Guild Finder so you can make sure you'll always have people to group with.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Idoru View Post
    I saw a guy literally sit in Meridian (RIFT) for 4 hours trying to find a group for a dungeon. On a low pop server cross realm LFG is still a blessing.
    Of course. But there still are better solutions to fix this problem. Merging servers is quite superior to a cross realm LFG Tool as it doesn't just cure the symptoms, but also the reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    well in wow you had to be nice to people in your groups so you get invited back tot he group and be social with the people of the server so they invite you to groups/guilds, with cross server groups you can be a complete ass or whatever or not even talk to a single person on your own server anymore, with LFR why even bother with a guild anymore cause you get to see the same content no matter what.
    Exactly this. I played wow since release and before the cross server looking for group tool guilds had value. How do you get a group to do runs or level alts in a timely manner? Oh yeah thats what guilds are for and not just glorified chat channels to talk to friends with.. huh who would of figured. Rep mattered and if you where a ass hat .. guess what? no one played with you and getting into a guild ( see reasons that this mattered above) not so much. This is what helped enforce good behavior and the social aspects of the server community.

After cross server group stupidity you suddenly had tank and healer griefing by pulling and leaving the group (lol see ya tards!!) God how I love that, thats a huge plus of the system and all kinds of tom foolery that we have all had to endure. Attitudes went to shit cause no one had to be accountable for anything and guilds became pointless (dont even get me started about the travesty of looking for raid..)

I would be fine with a LFD tool that was limited to our own servers but they can leave the cross server crap in the cess pools of that other o so wonderful game that I spent way to much time playing.

They offered free transfers for individuals and their guilds. Silly not to take advantage of that if you're having problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    That's why there are Guilds and Friends Lists. Even pre-launch Guild Finder so you can make sure you'll always have people to group with.
    but is your guild going to 100% have someone else on the same flashpoint quest, elite quest area, or whatever the case may be as your alt after a month or 2? its very doubtful.

if not is your guildies going to be nice enough to help you out? thats doubtful as well from my experience in wow . and being that its the same community just going over to another game, i really see it being a problem in another game that people are going to whine about, and then it'll get implemented and then all teh hardcore people are going to get pissed. its just a cycle i guess.

but don't take me as bashing swtor, the beta weekend i was in was fun, but it isnt my cup of tea. i love the star wars universe, and enjoyed the story in the game and the way they showed it. It will def be successful but people bashing wow for LFG tool are hipocrits, cause they are going to miss it the minute their guild or friends aren't around at the time they need them.

Not at all. It supressed any communication between the players outside their guilds or the usual "anal discussions", but it didn't destroy the community. It's still the players fault, tho.

Well, I didn't have to replace even 1 player in my groups. Did all instances up to lvl 30. Afterwards there weren't any players in my lvl range.
    i agree communication has all but disappeared, trade is just as bad if not worse than it was. people no longer care how they act since there are no more consequences. in vanilla/bc if you were a known ninja or acted like a dick people just wouldnt group with you. while i agree making groups was a pain in the ass, id rather have a good community than a fast dungeon.
    Tell them that the Lich King is dead...and the World of Warcraft...died with him.

Of course. But there still are better solutions to fix this problem. Merging servers is quite superior to a cross realm LFG Tool as it doesn't just cure the symptoms, but also the reason.
    Sure, that's a better solution. But it's also a very difficult decision to make, because once they start merging servers the doomsays start yelling.
    Last edited by Idoru; 2011-12-10 at 07:07 PM.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

server merges kinda screws over server communites too

They offered free transfers for individuals and their guilds. Silly not to take advantage of that if you're having problems.
    This was long before transfers were offered.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jonte912 View Post
    server merges kinda screws over server communites too
    I don't think so. In fact I think of it as a new opportunity. New people, new guilds, new friends to make. Why would that screw up the community?

Quote Originally Posted by muxx View Post
    but is your guild going to 100% have someone else on the same flashpoint quest, elite quest area, or whatever the case may be as your alt after a month or 2? its very doubtful.

if not is your guildies going to be nice enough to help you out? thats doubtful as well from my experience in wow . and being that its the same community just going over to another game, i really see it being a problem in another game that people are going to whine about, and then it'll get implemented and then all teh hardcore people are going to get pissed. its just a cycle i guess.

but don't take me as bashing swtor, the beta weekend i was in was fun, but it isnt my cup of tea. i love the star wars universe, and enjoyed the story in the game and the way they showed it. It will def be successful but people bashing wow for LFG tool are hipocrits, cause they are going to miss it the minute their guild or friends aren't around at the time they need them.
    I guess I have different expectations. I don't really surround myself with people who need that instant gratification, and I personally don't mind taking the time to find a group. Whether I get that Flashpoint done today or tomorrow doesn't really impede my ability to enjoy the game. It will get done eventually and if I want it bad enough I can go to the Fleet and find a group for sure.

Ways they can alleviate those problems:

- Instead of dual spec, just give everyone the ability to switch between their two advanced classes. That way, everyone has a Tank + DPS or DPS + Heal option.

- Improve the personal "Looking for..." comment section in the /who (but I think they did this for last beta weekend)

- Server-specific forums

- General level-range chat channel. Rift had this and it was awesome for finding groups!

I do respect your opinion on swtor though. I hope my post isn't coming off as "your opinion is wrong". Just banter.

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    They're planning on adding a LFG sytem later in the future... sigh.
    I hope that Bioware wait until they roll out SWTOR to ALL countries first, before any updates like a LFG system or new content. Wait until 80% of the TOTAL player base has at least 1 max level character. Or something like that.

Besides, it wouldn't make sense for Bw to have to rollout updates to different parts of the world at different times.
    "The further a society drifts from the truth the more it will hate those who speak it" - George Orwell

This was long before transfers were offered.
    How much longer before that could it have been? I played at launch (March) and stopped sometime in July or August. Transfers had been around for a while because I left Ashstone(!) for Dayblind and had been on Dayblind a little while.

Regardless, Rift was a different game and their biggest mistake was always the knee jerk mass server creation at launch in response to queue times. Queues are good. They give the people in them a sense of excitement (and frustration). It's absolutely no wonder at all why Rift went the direction it did.

I guess I have different expectations. I don't really surround myself with people who need that instant gratification, and I personally don't mind taking the time to find a group. Whether I get that Flashpoint done today or tomorrow doesn't really impede my ability to enjoy the game. It will get done eventually and if I want it bad enough I can go to the Fleet and find a group for sure.

Ways they can alleviate those problems:

- Instead of dual spec, just give everyone the ability to switch between their two advanced classes. That way, everyone has a Tank + DPS or DPS + Heal option.

- Improve the personal "Looking for..." comment section in the /who (but I think they did this for last beta weekend)

- Server-specific forums

- General level-range chat channel. Rift had this and it was awesome for finding groups!

I do respect your opinion on swtor though. I hope my post isn't coming off as "your opinion is wrong". Just banter.
    nah ur good and i agree i like all those features, i never played rift but the general level range caht sounds awesome. i liked it in wow back in vanilla when there was a /1 for each zone and then /2 (which was trade) could be joined anywhere or you could join ironforges general chat from anywhere in the world. i wish they would have never taken that away cause it was amazing for finding groups in instances w/o having to go all the way back to ironforge or orgrimmar to get people for a dungeon.

How much longer before that could it have been?
    It was just after the free month ran out. (That is, 30 days from release)
    Regardless, Rift was a different game and their biggest mistake was always the knee jerk mass server creation at launch in response to queue times.
    And yes this was the reason.

And it's the number one mistake that I really hope they won't make with SWTOR.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

" See me back in WoW when MoP comes out" ... OMG that is funny.

I have played WoW since about 1 week after beta. I had the top geared enhance shaman on my faction and server for some time, along with 3 other 85s.

I used to be one of those guys ... fearing the next MMO lurking in the dark corners of development, that would make all the hours invested into WoW for naught. Then about 4 months ago I quit.. and haven't looked back since

WoW is dead to me... frankly I am of the mindset the only way I would return is if they paid me to play.

Deleted
    And how did you find a group before the dungeon finder?
    You had to sit in SW/IF/Org and spam until you found 4 others.

At least with the dungeon finder I'm able to do my dailies or go mining/herbing while I wait for a group.
    If you want to go mining and herbing, I dont think swtor is the game for you '^_^

It was just after the free month ran out. (That is, 30 days from release)

And yes this was the reason.

And it's the number one mistake that I really hope they won't make with SWTOR.

Yeah. Really sad it ended up that way. I would have loved for Rift to have kept me busy these last few months.

Bioware's reaction to the absolutely insane queues on Beta weekend and their approach to Early Access (tiered entrance) gives me confidence that they won't make that mistake.