Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    You want a big game, go check out Eve Online. 5000 standard solar systems + 2500 Wormhole-space solar systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekadez View Post
    Pfooh, I don't know. Planets are about 6-8 WoW zones Bioware said, but it's far more linear than WoW and there is more uninteresting wasteland. It might be bigger, but I fear it'll feel smaller.
    Yer funny. You haven't actually leveled in WoW lately, have you? It takes linear, beats it with a hammer, and makes it its !@#$#%. Seriously, leveling in WoW now days is a straight line right up until Outlands, where suddenly you get to go back to the way things used to be. Also, uninteresting wasteland? You're parroting, and its REALLY obvious to anyone who has played the game. Most of it is anywhere from very interesting to EXTREMELY interesting, especially if you are a Star Wars nut, or played KotoR. And while they could use a couple more, yes there are even quest givers off in that wasteland, or like some one else said holocrons.

Now onto the crux of it. TOR FEELS bigger. Much, much bigger. And not because or just because of size. The worlds feel alive. On Nar Shadda, you can see, hear, and FEEL the war going on around you. Shuttles and ships fly overhead, you can hear the sounds of explosions in the background, troops hold important lines((Note that this does not feel as well done as Borean Tundra, but was still well done)). It does a good job of making you feel like one small person in a much larger area. The Jedi starting area is a mixture, its a normally peaceful planet suddenly assaulted, and again it shows. And Coruscant, lord. It's a bustling planet that never slows down. Again it makes you feel like one tiny person amidst a bustling metropolis. The slums make you feel like an unwanted and alien guest, the machine underworks thrum and buzz and clatter as you traverse them. The ruins of the Jedi temple feel sad and nostalgic as you walk amongst the broken stones. I won't even go into Taris. As KotoR fan I had a fit exploring that place.

Anyway, I ran off at the mouth. To sum it up: TOR FEELS bigger, and more alive then WoW at the moment.

but it's far more linear than WoW
    I'm sorry this honestly made me burst into tears of laughter. All MMOs are linear, they just try to make you think they aren't. Sure you can level in either Kalimdor or EK, but that is still linear leveling, you just have 2 lines to follow; though SWTOR does have only 1 line, I think it is just as linear as WoW is.

And on a side note, quests in SWTOR > WoW A thousand fold.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by fartman69 View Post
    Star wars has many movies and plenty of books, probably more star wars books then World of Warcraft books. These books and movies may not be from the same time lines but fans who have read these books and watched these movies will become immersed in the universe and the planets will mean a lot to them they will remember ares from the stories that may not have come to pass he may have come across as bashing but he was semi correct.. Also how many movies does WoW have?
    ...... Urm did you not grasp my post? I wasn't sarcastic, obviously Star Wars has more story because of all the reasons I just listed.... I really don't get the point of your post... At all.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by palladiamors View Post
    Yer funny. You haven't actually leveled in WoW lately, have you? It takes linear, beats it with a hammer, and makes it its !@#$#%. Seriously, leveling in WoW now days is a straight line right up until Outlands, where suddenly you get to go back to the way things used to be. Also, uninteresting wasteland? You're parroting, and its REALLY obvious to anyone who has played the game. Most of it is anywhere from very interesting to EXTREMELY interesting, especially if you are a Star Wars nut, or played KotoR. And while they could use a couple more, yes there are even quest givers off in that wasteland, or like some one else said holocrons.

Now onto the crux of it. TOR FEELS bigger. Much, much bigger. And not because or just because of size. The worlds feel alive. On Nar Shadda, you can see, hear, and FEEL the war going on around you. Shuttles and ships fly overhead, you can hear the sounds of explosions in the background, troops hold important lines((Note that this does not feel as well done as Borean Tundra, but was still well done)). It does a good job of making you feel like one small person in a much larger area. The Jedi starting area is a mixture, its a normally peaceful planet suddenly assaulted, and again it shows. And Coruscant, lord. It's a bustling planet that never slows down. Again it makes you feel like one tiny person amidst a bustling metropolis. The slums make you feel like an unwanted and alien guest, the machine underworks thrum and buzz and clatter as you traverse them. The ruins of the Jedi temple feel sad and nostalgic as you walk amongst the broken stones. I won't even go into Taris. As KotoR fan I had a fit exploring that place.

Anyway, I ran off at the mouth. To sum it up: TOR FEELS bigger, and more alive then WoW at the moment.
    I spent at least 5 minutes just watching the giant gun turrets firing at random ships, so beautiful.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Exes View Post
    Your statement bothers me too, the TOR story was written by BioWare, it started in the Kotor games, just like the Warcraft story was written by Blizzard and started in the Warcraft 1-3 games. The base is the same.
    Yet it still involves a fuck-load of elements from the general Star Wars... For example the entire frame, and base of the entire Star Wars universe.... Jeeesh......

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Would not be fair to include areas added by expansion packs, SWTOR has not even been released yet.
    And the development of WoW started over 10 years ago... what's not fair about it? With today's technology WoW could possibly be a lot bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Revelations View Post
    It is, WoW is actually quite small when comparing it to other games

Check this out: http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/u...me-worlds2.jpg
    Outdated, missing outlands/northrend/new cataclysm zones/new starting zones for cata/new raids+dungeons

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Melanieshaman View Post
    TOR is multiple times bigger than wow. Taking my speeder around Tatooine (i explored nearly every square inch) and it felt as big as icecrown.... just massive, and as was said earlier the planets onlu get bigger and Tat is the 24-27 planet. Alderaan (which is the farthest got) was even bigger... even if there are invisible walla around the edges they are still huge, and most if not all the instanced areas are shown on the world map. so all that is included in the size as a whole.

not sure what was meant by unexplorable, i hit everything i saw, but it was obvious where the invisible walls were, and after spending as much time as i did exploring what i could... i was exhausted and was glad there was no more to see.
    I dont get your point? you say TOR is way bigger but a full planet is just the size of icecrown?

Bloodsail Admiral Melanieshaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flimsy View Post
    I dont get your point? you say TOR is way bigger but a full planet is just the size of icecrown?
    yes... easily. and there are at least 10 more planets that are BIGGER than Tat...which would mean it would only take 5-6 of those planets to equal the REST of wow

Lets throw another scale out there..

50,000 square miles = about half the width of the state of Oregon

These games are saying they are this size, and yet, if you were to jog from one side of the world to the other you could probably pull that off in 24 hours (as the crow flies, no breaks, jogging speed)

In reality, that should take you 56 hours, or ~2 1/3 days of non-stop jogging at 4mph...

I don't know how big Daggerfall is, but if it legitimately takes you 2 1/3 days to 'jog' across the map (assuming it is a square map, no obstacles or terrain challenges) .. Then I'd believe the scale is accurate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Such statements bothers me for several reasons. Mainly the bashing element. Now how old is Star Wars, how many movies, series, books, games and etc are there? OBVIOUSLY there is more story...
    We're talking about SWTOR vs WoW, not the Warcraft franchise vs the Star Wars franchise. There is a big difference. Besides, SWTOR/KOTOR is very isolated from the rest of the Star Wars story. They share a setting, but none of the plot threads.

Just because something is set in the Star Wars universe doesn't automatically make it a good story.

Also, according to these arbitrary scales, the star wars universe is 1/121th the size of Daggerfall.. if you laid the total land mass existing in SWTOR, in the shape of a square, side-by side with 11 copies of itself..

And then.. copied that row 11 times...

you'd have 121x the land mass of SWTOR, and the approximate size of Daggerfall

I love arbitrary scales, they really put things in perspective.... ;-)

Edit:
    WAIT... that's Lord of the Rings online.... sigh...

Double that stuff all again.. that's Daggerfall.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    Same with Minecraft. The potential of a world is 8x the size of the Earth. But honestly now, who here has actually gone more then 2 Biomes away from their spawn? So all that extra landmass is completely irrelevant. But you cannot deny its there, should you choose to explore it all.
    Heh. Me and about 12 buddies of mine made a map, spread out so we each took up the chunk next to someone else (making a 13-player straight line, basically) and walked for one solid hour. The file size of our map was massive, and we still never hit a wall, or fell off the edge, or whatever MC does when you reach the end lol. We were using a fly mod, so we didn't have to worry about some people hitting untraversable terrain or anything like that. I have no idea how much actual distance we covered, but it was BIG >.> It astounds me that a game like MC can be that large. But yes, true, none of that space would ever get used...I'm pretty sure if our server had a population large enough to use all that space, and all the buildings people would put on it, the map would get unmanagable, probably crash, or just be laggy as all getout.

Quote Originally Posted by Threadbare View Post
    SWotR reportedly has the biggest ever game budget, ~£150 Million.

And as big as WoW's lore is, it's incomparable to Star Wars lore.

But as has been said, it's unfair to compare a game at launch with a game that's been on the market for 7 years, with many patches and going into it's fourth expansion.
    looks like some1 only read the title.... HURP DERPPPPP

Don't make useless posts to flame others.
    Last edited by conscript; 2011-12-10 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kewi View Post
    Lets throw another scale out there..

50,000 square miles = about half the width of the state of Oregon

These games are saying they are this size, and yet, if you were to jog from one side of the world to the other you could probably pull that off in 24 hours (as the crow flies, no breaks, jogging speed)

In reality, that should take you 56 hours, or ~2 1/3 days of non-stop jogging at 4mph...

I don't know how big Daggerfall is, but if it legitimately takes you 2 1/3 days to 'jog' across the map (assuming it is a square map, no obstacles or terrain challenges) .. Then I'd believe the scale is accurate
    4 mph is a brisk walking speed, not jogging.

8 mph is closer to jogging, which would put it at about 28 hours

dont matter how big they keep making WoW, we wont explore it, we will just fly to the next quest area and not even notice the zones

Quote Originally Posted by Revelations View Post
    It is, WoW is actually quite small when comparing it to other games

Check this out: http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/u...me-worlds2.jpg
    WoW is small but not that much, there isnt northrend, blood elf, draeneri, outland and cataclysm zones on that link just saying

Quote Originally Posted by Melanieshaman View Post
    yes... easily. and there are at least 10 more planets that are BIGGER than Tat...which would mean it would only take 5-6 of those planets to equal the REST of wow
    How many quests are there on worlds like that? Icecrown was a big zone, but it also had 120+ quests, many of which required groups to complete.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    How many quests are there on worlds like that? Icecrown was a big zone, but it also had 120+ quests, many of which required groups to complete.
    No idea how many quests there were in Tattooine, but i spent the best part of 10 hours there.