Problem with new video card (resolution)

So I had an older video card that Ive used for a few years (8800gt) and recently upgraded to a 550ti.

With the 8800, icons, text, and the resolution in general was perfect for me. I was running my TV (32in 720) at 1280x768. Now that Ive installed this new card, the task bar and half the icons are off screen. What icons I see are cut off by the edge of the screen. Now, I can go into nvidia control panel and change the resolution to 720p, 1178x662 and everything will fit on the screen. HOWEVER, the text and all the icons are blurry and the screen is very bright. Ive tried adjusting the brightness and contrast through both the nvidia control panel and through the tv itself with no change. If I go back to the 8800, the resolution returns to normal, screen size is good, and so on. However the card is slowly dying and I keep getting graphic tears 10 mins into playing anything but Solitair.

Now for the stuff to answer before someone asks.
    The native resolution of my TV is supposed to be 1360x768.
    Im running DVI to HDMI.
    The TV has 2 HDMI ports and a VGA port.
    I dont have a DVI to VGA or a HDMI to HDMI cable to test.
    I have made sure that all instances of the previous video card drivers have been removed.

Ive tried the current Version: 285.62 WHQL, the 2 most recent beta drivers and the 2 most recent WHQL drivers. Short of buying a new monitor (which I cant afford atm), I dont know what else I can do.

EDITED: SOLVED THE PROBLEM! files.bortweb.com/how_to_fix_nvidia_blurry_fuzzy_screen_or_text.htm
    Last edited by Jory; 2011-12-11 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jory View Post
    So I had an older video card that Ive used for a few years (8800gt) and recently upgraded to a 550ti.

With the 8800, icons, text, and the resolution in general was perfect for me. I was running my TV (32in 720) at 1280x768. Now that Ive installed this new card, the task bar and half the icons are off screen. What icons I see are cut off by the edge of the screen. Now, I can go into nvidia control panel and change the resolution to 720p, 1178x662 and everything will fit on the screen. HOWEVER, the text and all the icons are blurry and the screen is very bright. Ive tried adjusting the brightness and contrast through both the nvidia control panel and through the tv itself with no change. If I go back to the 8800, the resolution returns to normal, screen size is good, and so on. However the card is slowly dying and I keep getting graphic tears 10 mins into playing anything but Solitair.

Now for the stuff to answer before someone asks.
    The native resolution of my TV is supposed to be 1360x768.
    Im running DVI to HDMI.
    The TV has 2 HDMI ports and a VGA port.
    I dont have a DVI to VGA or a HDMI to HDMI cable to test.
    I have made sure that all instances of the previous video card drivers have been removed.

Ive tried the current Version: 285.62 WHQL, the 2 most recent beta drivers and the 2 most recent WHQL drivers. Short of buying a new monitor (which I cant afford atm), I dont know what else I can do.
    With TV's it is hard to match the video card to the exact native resolution of the TV. Find out what your TV's native Resolution is and set it to as close to this as possible on the Nvidia control panel, most new full HD LCD screens are 1920 x 1080, some of the cheaper TV's are only HD ready (720p) which means it will not be as sharp as full HD.

Also try replacing your cables. I ran into an issue with my cables myself.

Supported TV Formats
    1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i

Native Panel Resolution: 1366 x 768

Supported PC Resolutions
    1366 x 768, 1024 x 768, 800 x 600

All I did is switch the video cards and redo drivers. Never had an issue before using the dvi to hdmi cable.

The TV is also 4 years old. Purchased in Oct 07.

SOLVED THE PROBLEM! files.bortweb.com/how_to_fix_nvidia_blurry_fuzzy_screen_or_text.htm

nice find. i ended up using settings on my tv instead to fix it.

I tried to go through TV settings and nothing. Thankfully this worked.