Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Considering US had those 900k orders 3 weeks ago, and adding a similar value for EU and a bit less on pre-orders, we will probably have 2M~ at launch, which is pretty good. The number might be even higher tbh

Deleted
    I have to correct a bit - sorry for a misunderstanding. It were 2,4 million registrations (not preorders), but only on german SWTOR website
    In addition they had 725000 concurrent User in Beta (not clear if only europeans or worldwide). The guild number is correct.

However, it seems that preorder expectation seems not far away of 2,4 mios. (if we take into account that 2,4 mio registrations only on the german website)

Again sorry for misunderstanding. My german is not perfect. I am not allowed to post links here - however, you can find it in widepr.de

Deleted
    A 3-4 million launch is actually very plausible.

Considering those 900k+ preorders are physical copies in North America alone, factor in digital sales which usually overwhelm physical copy sales.

Then add in all of europe who preordered. Then ultimately add in the people who didn't preorder and will simply buy the game 1-2 days afer launch.

Either way, it'll be one of the biggest launches in MMO history.
    Last edited by mmoc3784f78918; 2011-12-11 at 10:29 PM.

Deleted
    Here is the original text of widepr.de

"Über 725.000 Teilnehmer beim Beta-Test
    Eingefleischte MMO-Spieler und leidenschaftliche Star Wars Fans auf der ganzen Welt warten bereits ungeduldig auf den Start von Star Wars: The Old Republic. So nahmen am Wochenende vom 25. bis 28. November 2011 über 725.000 Spieler am erfolgreichen Betatest des Spiels teil, an dessen Ende mehr als neun Millionen Stunden Gameplay zusammen gekommen sind. Zwei Wochen vor dem Start haben zudem bereits mehr als 78.000 Gilden am Pre-Launch-Gilden-Programm teilgenommen und sich über 2,4 Millionen Spieler auf der offiziellen Webseite des Spiels (german website link) registriert.
    Kritiker weltweit zeigen sich ebenfalls gespannt: So stellt das Magazin Game Informer fest: The Old Republic ist entschlossen, die MMO-Landschaft umzukrempeln, und MSNBC schreibt: Star Wars: The Old Republic macht einen überzeugenden Eindruck. Die hohe Aufmerksamkeit, die der Story zukommt, wird die Spieler begeistern. " (widepr.de)

It seems the numbers are quite close. But the numbers here may present in fault only german numbers. However, it will be sure over one million :-)

I can see 3million, but much more is just insane. We also have the last minute push between now and well, then.. people DO hold out.

At any rate it is safe to say they have to spread 2.5-3million people across the EGA.

Which would be 428,000 people per day at 3 million.

Wow.. that is a big number..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Neofate View Post
    I can see 3million, but much more is just insane. We also have the last minute push between now and well, then.. people DO hold out.

At any rate it is safe to say they have to spread 2.5-3million people across the EGA.

Which would be 428,000 people per day at 3 million.

Wow.. that is a big number..
    I agree, it would be insane. I think 1,5-2 mio would be a solid start. And more than enough in my view :-)

I am sure the numbers are close to 3 mil if not more. US retail sales alone is at 900k. Then you have US digital sales, Canadian digital and retail sales, EU digital and retail sales. If you add them all up i am sure its close to 3 million.

15+ Year Old Account
    Does it really matter how many pre order? The question is how many will leave after the first 6 months and 12 months, Retention is really how you can judge a game, Pre Orders only reflect advertisement hype.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Auralian View Post
    Does it really matter how many pre order? The question is how many will leave after the first 6 months and 12 months, Retention is really how you can judge a game, Pre Orders only reflect advertisement hype.
    I would say it is not only due to the hype but also due to a nice beta. At least Bioware has the crowd now and it is in BWs hand to get this thing done. The story shall give enough reason to stay a while. Whats thereafter, lets hope BW get it done right.

In regard to all these other MMO's in the past this is the first time I know people personally who want to leave WOW in favour of another MMO (and nearly they all play since vanilla). Nearly half of my guild has preordered now (12 people). No number in any press message speaks this loud and clear.

Hehe.

They haven't started advertising yet.

Almost all of it has been word of mouth and internet / gaming websites.

Wait till the adds start hitting TV.

My wife and I will, if given the option, sub for six months. By the time that's up, I'll know full well what they've done post launch and what their plans are in the future. I suspect, we'll do another 6 months at that point.

Deleted
    + 1 after the holiday ends.

I think it's beyond doubt that SWTOR will have a very successful launch. But the success of an MMO is measured in its longevity, not its launch, and that's where SWTOR will have to prove itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    VGchartz is only listing US preorders.

Oh, and they don't actually take in effect the 'digital' copies preordered. Not to mention the rest of the world that has preordered it. Its well over 1million copies in the US alone.

Well for people speculating, anticipating a game launch, etc. Sure. It matters 'some'.

For us, it means , perhaps, some order of how many people are ahead of another person in the 'Line for EGA'. How many people are going to be pounding the servers at the same time .. as they've not even had a million hit them yet (in a day).

Yes, for the long term success of the MMO it will depend mainly on how the developers react and develop content QUICK (I mean in first 3months or so) to appease players. This isn't going to be easy.

Yes, Pre-orders quite honestly, reflect the hype + the Star Wars name + Bioware's name.

Still, SWTOR is breaking records left and right.. which says something.

Its over 9000!!!!!!!!!!

:3

I predict that US box preorders will hit 1.3 mil by release. Digital are probably at 2m already.

Well shoot.. I haven't seen advertisements on SWTOR.. Not like the chuck Norris crud I see on every commercial break when I watch any of Seth McFarlane's cartoons.

i remember reading somewhere i believe twitter for swtor was that they had something like 2 million users on for the thanksgiving beta iono if thats of anyuse but yea

Deleted
    The VGChartz number is, as has been said a few times, only US retail pre-orders, exluding the rest of the world and global digital pre-orders. I think 2 million pre-orders alone is more than plausible. Add to that the fact that not everyone bothers to pre-order, a ton of people will just pick up a copy on release day, and who knows how many more after that.

But yes, a successful launch is one thing, keeping all those players is quite another. I'm confident TOR will level out at 3 or so million down the road.