Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Logitech G500 VS Razer Naga

Hi guys, just hoping someone out there is using a G500 that can answer a few questions.

First I play more then just WOW these days and my steel-series mouse only seems to function well in WOW and hardly even there anymore. So i was trying to decide between the Razer Naga and the Logitech G500. I am leaning towards the G500 simply because I have a smaller hand and serveral of my keys on my current mouse are basically unusable for that reason. So any input on either mouse from the PoV of someone else with small hands would be nice.

The second question I had was directed at the G500 and the main reason for making a thread. The button below the scroll wheel on the G500, whats its purpose. At first i figured maybe a toggle so you can still use the zoom feature of the wheel then toggle at will to have 3 more programmable buttons for the bulk of the playing time.

Just a quick last bit, if anyone used this mouse during the SWTOR beta do all the programmable buttons work?? On my Steel series mouse only about 3 of the buttons would bind and it was a nightmare just getting them to do so, the others wouldn't bind no matter what i tried. So I don't wanna drop 70 on a new mouse that wont by useful for more then 1 game again.

Thanks for any input!!

the button behind the scroll wheel is the lock/unlock for free spin of the wheel. it changes from clicking up and down to spinning even after you take your finger off..whic is nice for scrolling down long pages you know that your going to have to get to the bottom for

I stopped using Razer mice because they all fail after just a few months, scroll gets all rubberbandingy and right/left click starts double tapping.
    This was 4x Deathadder and 1x Mamba, same thing to all of them so I guess it's the same with all Razer mice.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are two totally different mice. Why compare them? One is an MMO mouse, the other isn't. I have the g500, and I wouldn't trade it for nothing. I came from a 5 year old MX518, which is basically a older model g500. The naga, has like 17 buttons and a shit ton on the side for binding keys too, thus that makes it a mmo mouse. You won't need all those for anything else really.

The button behind the scroll wheel makes it where the scroll wheel is free to spin on a ball bearing, I use it all the time. Scrolling through a really long page, or just messing with people ingame. Logitech makes the most durable mouses ever, thats why I still had my mx518, and it STILL works great its on my other rig now.

Hell, buy the MX518, its THE most legendary mouse, and very cheap, like 30$.

Razer makes kinda meh products, its over priced also. I have the razer lycosa keyboard and the characias headset.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get MW3, Skyrim is just a rehash of Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezh View Post
    Because I'm brave enough to smoke. I see no point in quitting

I did hear Razer is pretty bad with durability. While I generally don.t bang around mice or keyboards I don't like the idea of flushing 70-80 bucks the first time I'm picking something off my desk, and my mouse comes along for the ride.

Still just waiting to hear from someone about the spacing of the different mice. My bestbuy doesn't have the high end mice out for display so hoping someoen comes long with similar sized hands. :P

Quote Originally Posted by haxs101 View Post
    I have the g500, and I wouldn't trade it for nothing.
    Same, love my G500, never had any issues with the Logitech HID products(such as mice and keyboards, if I was on a budget I'd get speakers through them but I'd prefer a company that deals strictly in audio). The G500 is very similar to the G5 I had which I used(quite heavily) for a good 4-5 years before I started having issues with, if it wasn't for a few wires breaking and the location of which they broke making it nearly impossible to fix myself I'd still be using it.

I use a g500 myself and I enjoy it immensely, only issue I have had with it is kind of caused by myself. The location of where I have it plugged in and how I move it has caused the braided cord to break right next to where it enters my mouse...but the actual cord hasn't broke and it still works fine..just kind of an a.wkward cable in the way sometimes. But despite this I still like it and will probably just it for at least another year or 2 unless the cord actually breaks
    CPU: Intel I5-3570k 4.7ghz MB: Gigabyte Z77-D3H
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Ram: G-Skill 8GB 1333
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB PSU: Corsair CX850M Case: Corsair 750D

Quote Originally Posted by LeVvE View Post
    I stopped using Razer mice because they all fail after just a few months, scroll gets all rubberbandingy and right/left click starts double tapping.
    This was 4x Deathadder and 1x Mamba, same thing to all of them so I guess it's the same with all Razer mice.
    I've had my Naga for about 1.5 years and i've never had any of those problems, even with all of the 17 buttons.

And to OP, the Naga is actually a relatively small mouse, so it really suits smaller hands. This is obviously prime bait for the Naga haters but I'm just putting my opinion out there
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollfaced View Post
    yes I think its safe to say that brother is mad.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find the Naga to be a bit small compared to my Storm Sentinel so I think it will be fine for you and as far as gaming goes the buttons are immensely helpful. Also they are just fine in durability my takes a lot of abuse and works fine.

To be honest, I havent had any durability issues, (ive lost razer mice, but my computer had a faulty motherboard and fried 2 of em, not the mices fault)

but, i use the nagas buttons even for shooters.

MW2 (havent got 3 on PC) bind nades, prone, crouch, and a lot of stuff to that, and for other games i still use em the same way.

I use a G700, which I believe is similar to the G500. In any case, I much prefer Logitech, not only because the quality is better but also because I love the button layout. 3 extras on top right next to my index finger (for interrupts, dispels, and other clutch things), four on the side conveniently placed for my thumb (usually offensive and defensive cds). I've never had the desire to switch, and it responds just as smoothly without the cord as with (wireless lag is minimal if existent).

I also ended up buying a G510 keyboard, so pleased was I with Logitech

Quote Originally Posted by LeVvE View Post
    @OP If you havent already try to go a store where you can try each mouse out and get the one you find most comfortable to grip.

Mice I own:

Microsoft Habu gaming mouse powered by Razer, 5-6yrs old still works perfectly

Razer Naga, Nearly 3yrs old (original release) still works perfectly

Mamba, 1yr old still works perfectly

How can this be if all Razer mice fail in a few months ??????? I'm so confused -.-
    Last edited by TaintedOne; 2011-12-12 at 01:07 AM.
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

Quote Originally Posted by TaintedOne View Post
    How can this be if all Razer mice fail in a few months ??????? I'm so confused -.-
    Your experience is not necessarily the norm. My fiancee's Razer mouse first developed the double clicking issue, and now the two main buttons often won't click at all.

Even if it's not a majority issue, simply googling the issue will prove it is too common for most people's comfort.

15+ Year Old Account
    Logitech all the way... I've been using MX518 for 3 years then switched to G500, using it for 2,5 years and it is still in perfect condition.

"Dude, why are you dead again?" "Because I'm raid-leading, doh..."
    Mess with the best, die like the rest...
    >>>Goes by name Samyaza<<<

Quote Originally Posted by alinaya View Post
    Your experience is not necessarily the norm. My fiancee's Razer mouse first developed the double clicking issue, and now the two main buttons often won't click at all.

Even if it's not a majority issue, simply googling the issue will prove it is too common for most people's comfort.
    I just take issue when people say -all- Razer things break. I like to think of it as hit or miss, its a risk you take but it isnt 100% chance you'll get a broke product out of the box.
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

Have you seen this yet? I currently own a naga, and am ordering this very very soon.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=corsair%20M90

@Awfulx I think that mouse looks better than the Naga, but I'm worried about the placement of its buttons. It seems to have the same issue as the Naga with B4 and B5 being hard to reach. Additionally, it has more buttons around where the Naga's 10-12 is, and I don't care for the placement of those. But I'm a girl with little hands so that may not be an issue for everyone. I'm satisfied with "only" using 1-9.

Anyway, @OP: I swear by the Naga (mine is very old now with no hardware issues). I guess I would feel differently if I had the "luck" others have with faulty Razer mice. It still seems to be the best choice for anyone who wants some nicely placed (most of them) extra buttons for their MMOs that don't need to rely on buggy software for all of the keys to work**. If that's not what you want it for, get the G500. The Naga will have a learning curve and there's no point in dealing with that if you don't need the extra buttons.

**I know you asked about the keys in the OP, and the answer is yes. The Naga basically duplicates standard buttons on your keyboard (the whole Num Pad or 1-=) so these buttons will all be recognized by games, no programming necessary. It's a mini keyboard on your mouse.
    Last edited by Naughts Skyway; 2011-12-12 at 05:12 AM.

Have a G500, but wanted more buttons so I just bought a new razer. Going to learn to use the mouse as I learn to master SWTOR! My hope is to make my most common ability 5, and use 1-6 until I get comfortable with it.

If anyone has advice how someone with a clumsy thumb should go about learning this mouse, please advise. I tend to often hit two keys at once (especially with #8).
    Last edited by iggie; 2011-12-12 at 06:34 AM.

I've had my Naga for about 2 years and haven't had a hiccup with it yet. /knocks on wood But it is rather small for my hands.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    +1 for the naga here, also taking an opposite stance as most of this thread i guess, because i went through 3 logitechs in the 2 years. all three had bad lasers and went from laggy, to annoying, to unusable.

the naga is a game changer if you use it for an MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    Have a G500, but wanted more buttons so I just bought a new razer. Going to learn to use the mouse as I learn to master SWTOR! My hope is to make my most common ability 5, and use 1-6 until I get comfortable with it.

If anyone has advice how someone with a clumsy thumb should go about learning this mouse, please advise. I tend to often hit two keys at once (especially with #8).
    i have mine set with 5 as my main smashing button and i dont see how there could be a better spot 1-6 is my main attacks 7-12 are my main escapes or less used attacks. 11 is my second "home" key where i put a main defensive CD on there like disengage or such.
    Last edited by jmacphee9; 2011-12-12 at 04:39 PM.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga