View Poll Results: How should I handle my guild situation?

Voters
273. This poll is closed
  • Frantically search for a guild through MMO/SWTOR (These will be the only ones who take it seriously)

22 8.06%
  • Go in unguilded and just enjoy the gameplay

162 59.34%
  • Go in with plans to form my own guild

26 9.52%
  • Once in, join any guild I can (too much of a disadvantage to not be guilded)

39 14.29%
  • Other (Please specify in your post)

24 8.79%
Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Second star to the right, and straight on till morning

Going in unguilded

I decided to transition from WoW to SWTOR very late in the game. By the time I decided that this was where I wanted to be, swtor.com already had its forums shut down, and everyone had transitioned from a recruiting phase to a "get ready for EA phase."

Since I pre-ordered from GameStop, I probably won't get an EA code, and I'm ok with that. I realize that I came to the party late, and if there are no more party favors, so be it.

With that being said, from my side at least, TOR looks like a very cooperative game. Sure, I can probably get to 50 by my lonesome in a reasonable time. When I started playing WoW, it was before the advent of LFD (thank God), and I made friends leveling up. When I wanted to run dungeons I just started putting groups together from my friends list, populated with people I had grouped with who impressed me with their hummanity and playing ability. Eventually I ended up get guilded from playing with some of these guys. Not terribly long after I moved to a raiding guild, and have been a GM/Officer ever since.

I guess what I'm getting at, is what is your view on this? Should I bite the bullet and frantically search for a guild at the last minute? Should I go in with plans to start my own? Should I be on the lookout for a solid guild on my server?

To others in my position, what's your plan of attack? If you're not in my position, how would you handle it?

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pick a server and then I am sure there will be guilds recruiting. There will also be plenty of time if you want to try and find the right guild.

I wouldn't sweat it at all, a load of the pre-arranged guilds will fail/split off before reaching the level 50 flashpoints anyway. I've seen it with conan and warhammer to name two.

You must realise how crazy it sounds to think that you have missed the boat BEFORE the game has even launched yet?!?!

Missing the option. Made a guild and waiting for some news what server we will be on.

I'm going in (mostly) unguilded, too. Or rather, I'm going to start up my own guild for the purposes of having a place for my WoW guildies to hang out and chat while playing SWTOR. The thing is I half-expect most (if not all of them) to quit playing SWTOR sooner or later, or drift off and join up with other guilds. Which is fine, it just leaves me by myself.

To be honest, I'm just going to roll with it. I'll play through the game at my own pace, and if I meet up with some other people while playing? Cool, add to friends list, maybe run Operations with them later. I'll just play it by ear and deal with social/guild stuff as and when it is necessary.

Essentially, I'm going to play for my own benefit and fun.

Deleted
    I don't want to rush to get into a guild, and discover they're all tards, if I ever encounter decent players in Flashpoints who ask me to join/apply to their guilds it will probably be the way I get in as I have with my other WoW guilds.

There's no reason to panic and make a bad decision. Enjoy yourself, let things form as they will. I am only going into SWtOR with a guild because I know from past experience getting a group of competent PvPers who are also into roleplaying and are nice people is a really rare combination to find. If you're not looking for a niche combination, why rush?

For me, to find a decent guild: I'm just gonna be doing a shitload of warzones and hopefully see some good players in one that has a good name. Maybe they'll invite me, maybe I'll have to ask.

I prefer to see a guild's players in action before I consider joining. To make sure they aren't derps and all.
    "The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." - Aristotle

10+ Year Old Account
    already got me a guild a couple of weeks ago

you know what to expect and you get to know the people in it before going in. and with the guild launch program, you'll know you'll be on a balanced server, which is always good.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am already in a guild with a few of my friends from WoW and other games.

Since groups are restricted to server, I think you're better off meeting people there and finding a guild based on people you enjoyed playing with. Even just playing the beta, I never had much trouble finding groups for flash points and group quests, so it's not like you'll be SOL for those if you don't have a guild.

Unguilded, will join a guild while levelling maybe for the conversation but will look for a good (fitting for me) guild at 50

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Festisio View Post
    You must realise how crazy it sounds to think that you have missed the boat BEFORE the game has even launched yet?!?!
    I definitely do. This wasn't intended to be a "sky is falling" kind of thread. I definitely agree that a significant portion of the pre-made guilds will disband, or become so transformed as to be unrecognisable.

I'm a competitive bastard by nature. However much I'll enjoy the story and gameplay (which, being a SW nerd with an expansive imagination, should be a ton), I also realise that I won't be happy unless I'm moving towards competitive (or a reasonable fascimile thereof) raiding.

My goal was to ascertain how important a guild is in the leveling/gearing process, if it all.

Deleted
    Joining my old WoW guild, so guilded from start.

My old WoW guild is still an old WoW guild, so I'll be joining up with another guild at some point.

The only "bad" part about going in unguilded, IMO, is that it's much faster to rush to 50 if you have guildies questing with you.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I once had a guild for my alts called "Unguilded"

10+ Year Old Account
    I hunted around for a bit and found a region based guild (Pacific Northwest) and joined them since well I live in that region, and most of the players would be on at the same time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jexnell View Post
    I hunted around for a bit and found a region based guild (Pacific Northwest) and joined them since well I live in that region, and most of the players would be on at the same time.
    The great thing about a flexible schedule and insomnia, means that I have a great deal of range when trying to find a guild. Mindset and social compatability is more important to me than times. Thats not to say that you're wrong. I'm just and insular person by nature initially, and the "feel" of a guild is very important to me.

As most people are preparing for EA/Finals/Holidays, I understand that this may not be the best time to go hunting.

Deleted
    What I did is join a guild which has friends of mine, despite them being Republic and me Empire, just to be sure to be on the same server. As i level, i will look around for a nice casual raiding guild to join, possibly a hardcore guild, on my server.
    It'd probably be easier to be in a guild from start and do FPs with them, but the other way is perfectly possible too

ya know

i got a guild that I am in that is locked and prolly server based now, but after spending a few days on their TS channel and hearing nothing but empty air i doubt ill stick with them for long.

unless they prove to be more social and grouping acceptable after the EA starts then we will see