Denounce in Top Tier Guilds

So I've been looking at some top tier holy paladin specs (basically weighing my options for picking up sacred cleansing) and saw some holy paladins in top progression taking Denounce.

What is the purpose? Is it to fill a DPS need at top tier while undergeared? I thought maybe I may have missed something in the patch notes related Exorcism, but that didn't seem to be the case. The added DPS boost from healers in the game was all I could muster.

Any thoughts?

It's a common practice for people in top tier guilds to log out in lolspecs during progression, so other guilds can't see their specs and copy them. In case a certain talent happens to be integral to a tactic or whatever.

This may or may not be the case here. It's the only thing I can provide when I know next to nothing about healing.

Well, the effectiveness of paladin healing isn't really brain surgery when you're looking at talents. It's the fluff talents really that I was looking at. Sacred Cleansing, Last Word, Blessed Life, Improved Judgement...all provide negligible return depending on the fight. Denounce doesn't really look like a fluff talent to mask anything that would be overly beneficial unless I'm missing something

Could of been a mistake, or something being played with. Could of been taken for the crit prevention also. I think you should think more about taking sacred cleansing :P
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    What is the purpose? Is it to fill a DPS need at top tier while undergeared?
    You pretty much answered your own question.

There are parts of heroic fights where there is little to no healing that needs to be done, and where having healers do some extra DPS can be the extra bit needed to beat an enrage timer. Also, the post 4.3 holy paladin spec has enough points of debatable use that you can afford to take Denouce with little to no hit to your healing capabilities.

The fight that I suspect they are speccing it for is Heroic Yor'sahj. On that fight, there is next to no damage to be healed when the oozes spawn and the DPS are busy DPSing them. During that time, getting the extra bit of DPS on the boss could be game changing - this fight is a heavy DPS check

15+ Year Old Account
    Voidwalkers and pets can be crit. Tanks cannot.

Just sayin.

R.I.P. YARG

Deleted
    Why not taking it?
    There are points like clean/ImprovedJudge you can easily spare to take out.
    Some fights you don't need blessed life. Don't see the mistake here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    It's a common practice for people in top tier guilds to log out in lolspecs during progression, so other guilds can't see their specs and copy them. In case a certain talent happens to be integral to a tactic or whatever.

This may or may not be the case here. It's the only thing I can provide when I know next to nothing about healing.
    That doesn't seem that effective when you can just look at both specs on armoury.

It may be due to the Ultraxion fight: I swapped out points in Sacred Cleansing, Aura Mastery (as there is no resistable damage on that fight) and judgement range/run speed. I managed to get Denounce 2/2, Blessing Life 2/2 and Blazing Light 2/2.

This is the spec I used: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#scIMdrdhhfdhZc:maVfRMcMz

And this is the video of the kill (our 2nd kill): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WiBxwAaD5c

Since I was taking the blue buff, I also reforged out of haste into Mastery on every piece and DPS'd for a significant part of the fight, in total I managed to pull off 1.1M damage.

I was running at 5 FPS so the end was a bit messy healing wise (casting twice on same target etc) but it was a kill so.

Hope I answered your question.
    Last edited by Redfern; 2011-12-15 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    Voidwalkers and pets can be crit. Tanks cannot.

Just sayin.
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=53451 ?

---------- Post added 2011-12-15 at 09:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Redfern View Post
    Why no Aura Mastery?

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=53451 ?

---------- Post added 2011-12-15 at 09:16 PM ----------

Why no Aura Mastery?
    It may be due to the Ultraxion fight: I swapped out points in Sacred Cleansing, Aura Mastery (as there is no resistable damage on that fight) and judgement range/run speed. I managed to get Denounce 2/2, Blessing Life 2/2 and Blazing Light 2/2.
    Damage isn't resistable.

Damage isn't resistable.
    Unstable Monstrosity (his AoE aura) is.
    Towards the end when it gets heavier is the best time to use AM.
    (also the most noticeable)

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyriaa View Post
    Unstable Monstrosity (his AoE aura) is.
    Towards the end when it gets heavier is the best time to use AM.
    (also the most noticeable)
    this is wrong, please show me log where you get resists

as for taking denounce it's because you don't really lose anything by taking it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajwon View Post
    this is wrong, please show me log where you get resists

as for taking denounce it's because you don't really lose anything by taking it
    The only unresistable damage is hour of twilight. Everything else can be resisted.

Deleted
    ultraxion 25man hc says hi

Ultraxion's AoE on Heroic atleast is not resistable.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by methanar View Post
    The only unresistable damage is hour of twilight. Everything else can be resisted.
    pls show me log like i said, resists definitely does not work in 25h

Just looked up my log and it really appears to be unresistable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajwon View Post
    pls show me log like i said, resists definitely does not work in 25h
    I suspect you are confusing the fact that few things can be fully avoided with the fact that almost everything can be partially resisted.

Edit:
    Or nevermind. lol
    Last edited by Firecrest; 2011-12-15 at 10:09 PM.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.