10+ Year Old Account

Windows XP or 7 for old laptop

Well as it states i have a old laptop.
    It currently has windows XP on it now its quite slow and hasn't be reformatted in about 4 years.
    So I was think whether I should reformat and install windows 7 or stick with XP.
    It has 1 gig RAM and has a 1.73 ghz Processor.

I personally think I should reformat and install windows 7

Thoughts?

Why would you install an OS with a greater overhead onto old hardware which will only run Windows XP moderately?!

If you are going to use Windows 7, at the very least upgrade the memory, its a really cheap upgrade - would even be worth doing for Windows XP if you want to limp the machine on a bit

Deleted
    Reinstall windows xp. windows 7 wont run on the laptop. atleast not good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok. Thx for the feedback.
    Now here is my dilemma I dont have a Windows XP disc and the computer is ridiculously slow as in it takes 5-10 min to start up properly.
    Should i still stick with the XP or try the Windows 7.

With 1GB RAM you want XP in it, Win7 will be really sluggish on it. I have a laptop of similar age and specs, and it was pretty damn bad. Doubling RAM to 2GB didn't help at all, but with a cheap SSD it runs really fast and is actually usable because of really fast swap file.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by darassper View Post
    Ok. Thx for the feedback.
    Now here is my dilemma I dont have a Windows XP disc and the computer is ridiculously slow as in it takes 5-10 min to start up properly.
    Should i still stick with the XP or try the Windows 7.
    Windows 7 wont help the speed of a laptop of that age - stick with XP mate

To help speed up your boot time, try going into your msconfig and make sure you disable all unnecessary programs from running on startup, that will help a ton.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok ill stick with the XP any1 got good tips as to how i can speed up the laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by darassper View Post
    Ok ill stick with the XP any1 got good tips as to how i can speed up the laptop?
    SSD. Will make old laptop incredibly fast. Not only when you compare program loading times to slow 5400rpm discs, but also because windows swap will be located on the SSD which can hide the fact that the computer has really low ram. Wont make games run any faster though. You need memory upgrade to at least 2GB for that, preferably 3GB.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I'd say a linux distro would be good. I'd suggest *buntu LTS edition or mint. If you need specifically windows software on it I'd just put XP on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    I'd say a linux distro would be good. I'd suggest *buntu LTS edition or mint.
    Ubuntu is not really at all faster than Windows on low spec machine, it's getting really bloated in memory requirements. And what's even worse, there's still big problems with power management on linux side which sucks donkey balls for laptop use unless you happen to have a laptop that is 100% supported.
    Trolling should be.