Deleted

Why are PC games so cheap in the UK?

This is something that has boggled me for a long time.

For most Europeans the United Kingdom is a very expensive place to visit. While the pound might not be quiet as strong as it was in the past is still a very solid currency.

Overall most things are at least a little more expensive in the UK compared to continental Europe. That is, most things except Video Games.

While I'm used to paying around 50 Euros for a new PC Game in Germany, France and the Netherlands I can get Skyrim off Amazon.uk for a whooping 20 pounds. That's about 25 Euros of 30 USD.

And Skyrim isn't the only cheap game. Most AAA titles are sold for around 30 pounds upon release which still only translates to 37 Euros. Hell, you could pre-order Diablo 3 for something like 22 pounds a while back.

What I found is that I'm much more liberal with game purchases once they drop below the ~30 pound pricetag.

Honestly, I think the industry could combat piracy more effectively by making games cheaper to purchase.

Deleted
    I thought it was just that consoles games were more expensive due to Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft being 'greedy' on their consoles, charging developers a lot to release games for them, also everyone used to say that they made a loss on the consoles and games were where the profit was for them. I wonder if PC games are cheaper in the USA.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by emanresu View Post
    I thought it was just that consoles games were more expensive due to Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft being 'greedy' on their consoles, charging developers a lot to release games for them, also everyone used to say that they made a loss on the consoles and games were where the profit was for them. I wonder if PC games are cheaper in the USA.
    PC games are typically about $10 cheaper than console games, but lately games like BF3, SC2, MW3 have all been selling for the same as console prices. ($60)

Deleted
    I agree they should make them cheaper games goes for 50€ to 60€ on release here in sweden skyrim is still out for 45€ in most stores >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    coz most countries are jerks about pricing items

buying games from UK+shipping way cheaper than buy a game here in Portugal in retail or even at release in Steam

Well, we have shit internet and get screwed royally on components, so it balances out.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    coz most countries are jerks about pricing items
    Countries dont decide the price on a game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's largely because PC gaming isn't nearly as popular as console gaming in the UK.

It was better in the past but the PC games section in game stores generally is a lot smaller than the console section

You have to weigh in the cost of having to live in the UK as well
    Last edited by Alraml; 2011-12-15 at 03:47 AM.

I never even knew this Totally unfair..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azalu View Post
    I think it's largely because PC gaming isn't nearly as popular as console gaming in the UK.

It was better in the past but the PC games section in game stores generally is a lot smaller than the console section

You have to weigh in the cost of having to live in the UK as well
    Well the standard of living is quite high in the UK, which normally implies more expensive products. Take Sweden, Norway, Australia or Switzerland for example. They typically pay much more for standard items than people in other countries do, just because people there are on average, much more wealthy.