Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    In al my MMO guilds finding healers or tanks was not a problem at all.

Finding people that were actually good at their class was, esp. dps ones!

So i'd say just roll a class with a playstyle that you like: melee dps, melee tank, ranged tank, healing or ranged dps..

And ofcourse have some friends rolling tanks/healers and dps so you can always get a group for flashpoints

What do you actually raid in SWTOR? Like really powerful siths/jedis?

Mostly droids from what i've seen

I'm going to say Tank... Regardless of how rare you think healers are it is more of the fact that people don't like tanking as much and do not like people relying on them to keep everyone alive, it's more of the mindset than anything else.

Go tank.

---------- Post added 2011-12-15 at 08:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mudor View Post
    What do you actually raid in SWTOR? Like really powerful siths/jedis?
    I'd assume any of the large and exotic creatures there are in the star wars universe, along with what Ysondro said, droids.

Think of WotLK, even though they added DK with 3 specs and all of them able to tank. We still had huge gaps in tank role. A class having a tank tree and having high popularity does not effect number of tanks in the game. You need people with different tastes for them to roll a tank. In beta there was not this problem, but thats because most people that will tank , was in the weekend beta , but not the most people who is gonna dps.

For raids though you allways need less tanks , and a tank need to be geared very well; hence you might have easier time with healer since there will be more spots for them percentage base than tanks.

Deleted
    If you take a look at http://sithwarrior.com/opcomp/ you can see that a bodyguard BH (and the republic counterpart) is the only spec to offer a damage reduction buff, to me that sounds very useful and sought after for serious raiding.

Tank or healer. Most classes can be both, so I wouldn't really expect such a role drought like we saw In WoW.

For what it's worth, based on what I've seen in live the past two days, groups on my server are looking for tanks left and right. Haven't seen anyone LF a healer yet.

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    Tank or healer. Most classes can be both, so I wouldn't really expect such a role drought like we saw In WoW.
    just to clarify, there is no advanced class that can be both. and as of now you can't change your advanced class, so this statement isn't exactly true.

each AC other than the marauder/sentinel and gunslinger/operative can either dps AND tank or heal. the aforementioned classes can only dps.

the hottest commodity in all raids i've ever played were good players. If you are the best at your class in your guild, the raid spot is pretty much guaranteed.

So I would suggest picking a class that does a role that you are good at playing, because that would maximize your chances at being the best at that role. I've never seen good players sidelined just because their class is not a hot commodity. A good player can make a sub-par balanced class hang with FOTM just by playing better.

Quote Originally Posted by Effbee View Post
    Healers will always be in demand, because whatever anyone tells you, most people just want to do some damage

Wait...what?

I chose IA back in July and haven't deviated on the choice. Playing in beta, I love her voice and it only cemented my choice further!
    I should have pointed out I meant the male IA, I am one of those really "crazy" people that plays only male characters as I am a male.

I really have 0 idea what the female of any class sounds like.
    Last edited by isda187; 2011-12-15 at 06:25 PM.

Play what you want but play it well. A shitty healer is no more desirable than a shitty dps... yes maybe a little more ! But good players always find a spot.

Quote Originally Posted by QuinthalasKT View Post
    I am sort of bored with Dragon Soul. I will still play WoW and make our two raid nights, but will prob play SWTOR for the rest of all my free time.

What role will most probably be needed for SWTOR raid guilds? I am 1/8H in DS.. so I'm pretty sure I'd be a valuable member to any raid guild.

Should I go tank? (jedi iirc)

or healer? (consular iirc)

No way I'm playing DPS. I don't care about how fun a class is, I just want to be in the raid. So if healers felt more rare on beta, I'll roll one. Same if that was the case with tanks.

Thanks for your input, all.
    You're in the same boat I am, bored with DS, will continue to raid with my guild on the 2 nights we raid and I will be playing SWTOR in my free time from raiding, currently I decided to go Sage for a few reasons 1 being that I played a healer in WoW and did well at it, 6/7H in FL and 1/8 in DS and 2 that usually healers are the most requested class in any game since a lot of people like to DPS and throw out big numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by yomatta View Post
    just to clarify, there is no advanced class that can be both. and as of now you can't change your advanced class, so this statement isn't exactly true.

each AC other than the marauder/sentinel and gunslinger/operative can either dps AND tank or heal. the aforementioned classes can only dps.
    To further extend on that as well, there does seem to be a bit of a stigma in peoples head, where they think that the tank/dps AC is not going to be as good as the healer/DPS ACs. (For dps that is)

Which is likely because of visual things, IE, Bounty Hunters only use 1 gun as Powertechs but Mercs dual-wield, and OMG 2 weapons = more damage....right? Or troopers Vanguard = Blaster rifle, Commando = Giant space gatling gun, aka Auto-Cannons, so obviously they do more damage...... right? (They don't by the way, or at least are not supposed to, and are supposed to be balanced around being even)

So I do tend to think that AC ratio will tend to favor the healing/dps options for at least theirs, so I do believe it will skew the number of "weekend healers who just chose to heal because we already have 1000 dps in the guild", higher.

Though really in my experience healers are usually just more common than tanks anyway. (In basically every game, ever.)
    Last edited by isda187; 2011-12-15 at 06:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I went Powertech with my BH, and I'm making a healing imperial agent as well.

I think that heavy armor... is going to be a highly competitive armor choice though. Although I haven't seen how instances and raids handle loot drops (be it boss drops, or tokens)

Very cool points made by all. I get the "good player" argument, I'm doing DS HMs atm, I'm pretty sure I'll be competent at whatever I play in SWTOR. Just was curious about the most valuable specs.

with no damage meter all DPS will just blend i to the background(however if they ever open the game up to addons a good DPS will be just as valuable as a tank/heals in the 4 man format). a good tank will stand out above and beyond any other role, and can even make up for a poor healer. a good healer can make up for slow to react DPS, but cannot compensate for a poor tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.