Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Nah. Other games with LFD/G tools haven't had this phenomena. Also you are doing that thing I told you about where you contextualize gameplay concepts only within Warcraft.
    Yes... hard for me since WoW is the only other MMO I've played. What are some games where group finder tools have worked?

I suppose what I'm really trying to say is that a server based community is important. You don't see people in dungeon finders outside of the dungeon, and the chances of seeing them again in a dungeon is very slim in itself. You don't foster any long term growth with other players. Even if you have fun in them (which I highly doubt happens more than 50% of the time due to the horrible community WoW has come to foster), I'd rather have fun getting to know people, growing closer to my guild, and getting to know other guilds.

Maybe I'm just not picking it up, but I'm not seeing how RF and DF tools help servers grow communities. Please explain it to me if I'm not =/
    The problem is, and we are off-topic now, is you want to define community in the terms of that time you met Sally Standsinfire & Joe Funspec while out in The Barrens. You laughed, killed a few mulrocks and a good time was had by all. /buddies

That is just not how the culture of Warcraft, and to some degree MMO, evolved. We actually moved away form that as the primary experience of an MMO. GW2 seeks to go back to that, but that is no greater or lesser shake to any respective game out there.

Yes... hard for me since WoW is the only other MMO I've played. What are some games where group finder tools have worked?
    The best example is Rift.

Rift has free server transfers, highly mobile population, an LFG tool that browses dungeons, quests, world events and open world raids. The endgame is entirely focused on instanced raiding- exclusive instance raiding with a high barrier to entry.

By all counts of LFD/G naysayers, Rift should have one of the worst possible communities and be utterly unsuccessful. This is 100% false.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2011-12-16 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    we are off-topic now

That is just not how the culture of Warcraft, and to some degree MMO, evolved. We actually moved away form that as the primary experience of an MMO. GW2 seeks to go back to that, but that is no greater or lesser shake to any respective game out there.
    Yeah, I suppose we are.

I guess we have... I dunno, I just miss the sense of growing bonds between people on your server. To me, it makes it feel like more of a world and less of a video game I'm playing.

<--- Immersion Geek

I edited because I was too slow. ;[

Anyways, yea. Raids. Meh, not right for GW2 and most are fine with that. /constructive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    It is, but it's the job of game-designers to "guide" people along the right path and reward positive behavior.
    Yes, but in the end, if a bratty child wants to be a bratty child, they'll stay that way. I don't really believe its entirely the developer's responsibility to mould the community. If the community as a whole isn't going to tolerate asshattery and douche baggery, then ass hats and douche bags aren't going to be around long, but if the community does, well then, they're sticking around for a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Wow, there's alot of people hatin' on wow just to hate here. And then some are even real hypocrits about it

Either way, as much as I can slightly see the point alot of people are trying to make with these events where the whole community can pitch in and you'll all hug out and become friends when you've killed it. I can also picture the future with me going on one of these events with a couple of friends and then another guild was notified of this event and joins it, the thing is. These guys are just like the people you meet in LFR, and you're the guy carrying them. However, with these many people, that boss ain't no walkover which means you won't make it. This is gonna become very frustrating eventually
    Unless I've missed something about this, which I don't think I have. If so sorry

That's the problem I see with this, with instanced events/raids/whatever you want to call it. You can call all the shots, you can chose your own difficulty and you can chose your own pace.

and inb4: "That won't happen because everyone that wants to play GW2 are adult mature players who generally knows what they're doing compared to the mouthbreathing imbecils playing wow"

It is, but it's the job of game-designers to "guide" people along the right path and reward positive behavior.
    It's not. Developers are responsible for creating compelling gameplay with the greatest possible playability. Anything beyond that is just "nice" or philosophical.

I really don't see what's so compelling about raiding that GW2 doesn't offer in other ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    . Since the LFD and now with the LFR, people regard their fellow players more as tools required for achieving their goals, rather than human beings worth socializing with.
    and that's the eye-opening part: we know this as players, therefore Blizz must know this as developers, yet they continue to elicit, even encourage, that type of behavior and mentality. the game is inching more and more towards the end-spectrum of browser MMO's--that is to say that less and less DECISIVE player input is needed to achieve the various goals within the context of the game. and this is COMPLETELY the "fault" of all of us, the "community". sure Blizzard makes some decisions based on market trends (it IS a company after all) but those trends are based solely on the hand jobs we continually ask for from developers.
    "Angle of incidence equals angle of reflectance. Meaning, if you can see them, they can see you. Use the environment around you. Free yourself from the tyranny of eye-level!"--Roger Dodger i also play the git-box
    Poke THIS Robot--it's a link to MY MUSIC!--

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggah View Post
    ...Either way, as much as I can slightly see the point alot of people are trying to make with these events where the whole community can pitch in and you'll all hug out and become friends when you've killed it. I can also picture the future with me going on one of these events with a couple of friends and then another guild was notified of this event and joins it, the thing is. These guys are just like the people you meet in LFR, and you're the guy carrying them. However, with these many people, that boss ain't no walkover which means you won't make it. This is gonna become very frustrating eventually. Unless I've missed something about this, which I don't think I have. If so sorry...
    As far as I know, those huge scale events aren't going to be a point to get to as much as raiding is in WoW. GW2 appears to be a completely different beast. I honestly don't know if once I reach max level on a specific character that I will continue to play as that character. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing (and not only because the whole no sub thing). Look at AAA games today like Assassin's creed, Skyrim, Skyward Sword, what keeps people playing those for hundreds of hours? Raids? Gear treadmill? New patches? I honestly believe if I enjoy playing the game regardless for how long, ANet has succeeded, and I'd sure as hell be back for the expansions.

I realize that there will probably will be a lot of stuff to do after max level (exploring, DEs, lowering your level, etc.), but I wanted to emphasize that a game doesn't need a focussed endgame to keep me playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilegamesh View Post
    I honestly don't know if once I reach max level on a specific character that I will continue to play as that character. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing (and not only because the whole no sub thing). Look at AAA games today like Assassin's creed, Skyrim, Skyward Sword, what keeps people playing those for hundreds of hours? Raids? Gear treadmill? New patches? I honestly believe if I enjoy playing the game regardless for how long, ANet has succeeded, and I'd sure as hell be back for the expansions.

I realize that there will probably will be a lot of stuff to do after max level (exploring, DEs, lowering your level, etc.), but I wanted to emphasize that a game doesn't need a focussed endgame to keep me playing it.
    the so called AAA games didn't enjoy me even half as much time as GW1 did (does?)

got bored of Assassin's Creed boring gameplay about at 1/4 game when i noticed i could hold my right click 99.99999999% of the time + left click and profit... at least, graphics are good but i still don't get why all the praise for this game.
    Skyrim with its craft system which mostly benefits melee/archery styles, crappy UI/graphics (at least without mods for the latter) because they didn't even bother making a proper PC version of the game, etc etc. still a good game overall but not that enjoyable (may seem paradoxal)
    Last edited by sacrypheyes; 2011-12-16 at 04:05 AM.

I really hope anet doesn't add raids. We need to move AWAY from the WOW formula, not completely carbon copy it with every new game.
    Can't spell 'NICE BALANCE' without Ice Lance.

Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    To be fair, having raids isn't necessarily adhering to the WoW formula. GW2 has a class called Warrior which is not unlike WoW's, and that isn't putting it in danger of being WoW Clone Jedi/Sith Edition.
    Actually they play completely different in GW2. It's viable to use a bow/rifle and go around healing/buffing/setting up combos.

Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    To be fair, having raids isn't necessarily adhering to the WoW formula. GW2 has a class called Warrior which is not unlike WoW's, and that isn't putting it in danger of being WoW Clone Jedi/Sith Edition.
    See here's what we agree on, man. I don't think A-Net should be shutting down any possible ideas, because they're smart enough to rebuild anything with new formulas.

10+ Year Old Account
    i knew id find the weakness of the gw2 community eventually: disregarding logic reason and all common sense just to make sure this game is as different from wow and any other game as humanly possible. raids in guild wars 2 would be fine. they wouldent be mindless they wouldn't be trivialized, you wouldn't get discriminated for not filling a specific role,they wouldn't encourage elitism due to the strong sense of community arena net is encouraging.if you hate the idea of a feature that wow has being implemented into gw2 then why the hell arnt you QQing about 5 mans? wow has 5 mans. plenty of other games have 5 mans. the number of people you play with wont change the way an instanced dungeon feels so much that everyone becomes a loot whoreing, dps above all els standing in stupid shit retard. -activate flame resistance shield-
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

10+ Year Old Account
    This entire thread can be concluded by the first reply made.
    People just need to lose their old Wow mindsets.
    Shocking! I know!

I don't have too much experience with forums, but this thread should probably be closed soon. Only things people are doing now are repeating each other and getting off-topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    im sure if repetition was a reason to lock a thread, then over 50% of threads on this site would be locked and or deleted
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

Haha, I see. Alright then, sorry about that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by durza View Post
    im sure if repetition was a reason to lock a thread, then over 50% of threads on this site would be locked and or deleted
    That's nearly as many that actually are on Guru!