Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Considering all the tentacles and claws and whatnot are actually parts of Deathwing, I have a hard time considering MoD to be an "add fight." We're literally interrupting his Armageddon spell by hacking off his limbs until, like the Black Knight, he's just a torso shouting imprecations. If you look beyond the immediate area while fighting him, you can see him waving his stumps around and gnashing his teeth. Even in phase 2, when he hits the ground, those tentacles aren't distinct entities - his head puts them down like roots to attack the raid.

Granted, it does seem like we're not having much effect on him. That's the fight's only problem, really. Deathwing is just too damn big. He's visible from space. A raid attacking him is like ants attacking a kid with a can of gasoline. This isn't even a problem that fight mechanics could address. He's that big in lore. And having him drop to human form is ridiculous, since dragons only go human form when they want to be sneaky or not alarm the lesser races. Deathwing doesn't do sneaky. Alarming people seems to be his hobby.

This fight is the closest we've yet come to fighting an Old God which is completely unchained. The difference in power between him and us is incomprehensible. Blizzard went and made him too epic. He reached the pinnacle of the epic bell curve and went straight down the other side, and the kicker is that there is nothing that they could have done about it.

I agree. The deathwing fights really blow. Especially since he just explodes into sparkles for some reason at the end. Why couldn't they make the fights better, since all they did was recycle the last expansion's zones for the atmosphere. Very very disappointed, and not looking forward to the fustercluck that will be pandas
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

Deleted
    What I really really really hated was the end scene. Thrall aims the Dragonsoul at Deathwing, it shoots four small beams at Deathwing and the goes ...

POOOOF, .... YAY GLITTER!

Why the fruit did he go poof? I am not sure the final video was more cheap then the "poof" effect.

I mean I know the answer, they have too little people developing that they cant even get easy things right (Re-applying AOE debuffs at Soccerboss / Hagara) so i am NOT surprised but ... seriously, thats the epic end of Cataclysm. Poof + Glitter?

I agree that the deathwing encounter isn't very epic, or at least you don't get the feeling that you're fighting the most powerful dragon aspect. He feels like an old god boss, which in essence I guess he is.

What's more disappointing to me is the leading up to him. You don't feel that you're fighting your way through and instance to get to him. Most other end bosses you fight their servants to get deeper into their lair to finally face them, here you fight your way to an airship to jump on his back.

*tinfoil hat on*

how do you know its not exactly like that on heroic?

*tinfoil hat off*

to be fair, i thought the fights were pretty epic
    but i think a lot of ppl have done the fight a tonne of times already due to LFR on alts
    and hence has lost a lot of its epic feeling a lot faster than usual

or have people already forgotten about the old 4 (10 norm, 25 norm, 10 heroic, 25 heroic) lockout system whereby you fought the same boss 16-20 times a month on one character alone?

Deleted
    I don't think it was the amount. Killing LK over and over still felt better then the first kill of DW. Everybody in the raid could give the speech of all bosses in the end (and would do it!) but LK going down stayed epic.

No to ranged tanking. Tanks are already screwed when half the fights make us go dps because there is no point having 2 of us, having us sit around doing absolutely nothing for a phase blows. Let's have a five minute phase where dps aren't allowed to do anything, that would be awesome.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloee View Post
    I don't think it was the amount. Killing LK over and over still felt better then the first kill of DW. Everybody in the raid could give the speech of all bosses in the end (and would do it!) but LK going down stayed epic.
    Yeah that is true! I was still raiding a lot in Wotlk and so I have killed the LK lots of times on my main and even on alts (both HC and NHC) and I have to say that it was epic every f*ing time to fight him and finally kill him with the help of the others.

The problem is that the LK fight was so emotional because he was the hero from the WC games so most of us knew him and you know what? The fight was just epic, to see how Arthas was playing with us and then at 10% oneshot us just to see Tirion break out of the Ice Block and shattering Frostmourne + the cutscene at the end, it was and epic encounter even after 40 kills.

DW had no real lore background in any of the previous games, nor in Cataclysm, so he is just a "random" Aspect of Death that we could not fight because he is tooo powerful. I mean c´mon it is just lame if you consider which bosses we have killed eye to eye in the past. So i hate the fact that we just fight his "limbs" and "tentacles" and ofc the super annoying "bloodz". Chin to Chin would have been much more epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Megaira View Post
    The problem is that the LK fight was so emotional because he was the hero from the WC games so most of us knew him and you know what? The fight was just epic, to see how Arthas was playing with us and then at 10% oneshot us just to see Tirion break out of the Ice Block and shattering Frostmourne + the cutscene at the end, it was and epic encounter even after 40 kills.
    So true. There was so much building up to the LK encounter. DW on the other hand doesn't have the same emotional attachment. And the cutscene at the end is terrible. Fallen hero finding release in death and being reunited with his father vs. oh hey your wife's pregnant. Yeah okay.

About the fight itself, I don't find it epic, I actually find it tedious and repetitive. I'm sure it will be much more intense on HM but compared to Ragnaros and LK it's not nearly as fun. Those fights were fun and engaging. I'm hoping there is something extra in HM Madness because killing adds while Deathwing derps around with his tongue hanging out really isn't that interesting, lore wise or play wise.

general consensus?

you shall not conclude from yourself and reports from two of your friends into a gneral consensus.
    Fight are fine the way they are.

Deleted
    I would've liked to see a fight with deathwing in his human form. Prehaps after we killed ultraxion he could fly down and come into his human form. A phase where we take 25% of his health and we have to keep him off the aspects for just a little bit longer, still getting huge buffs from the aspects. After we take off 25% of his health we see Thrall hit him with the dragonsoul but he deflects it with his mace and this causes him to take off where we head to the blackhorn encounter and the other fights.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blaqkmagick View Post
    Your ideas are pretty good. I must admit I found it kind of silly that adds were spawning out of Deathwing's back. It just seemed a little strange for me. That's why I like the idea of "deathwing's back rupturing" and pouring out magma (or boiling blood) that does damage, instead of elemental mobs that just so happen to live in the dragon's blood stream >.>
    though good idea's, deathwing is an aspect, of earth, that he can summon elementals should be obvious, and corrupted by an old god, so tentacles.

OP'sidea sounds awesome but with oozes spilling out of the ruptured back, it only makes sense DW would use his powers to...but then again if i was a giant FLYING dragon, i would just flip around, and summon magnetic oozes(still earth like) i would not let PC's move freely upon my back, id rather crash into a mountian...(or i guess a volcano...his blood is already magma how much could it hurt)

speaking of...why isnt he immune to fire damage?
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

my only respond is this -> paragon vs lich king

that what a final boss is all about, face him

and i hope that the wow movie is about Arthas, is by far the best story