Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lightbulb GUIDE - Want to learn more about crew skills?

Hello

I'm so exited to play the game and even more exited to share this with you guys.

I have created a website with information about crew skills, I know there is already some really good guides on the forum but more information never killed anyone right?

I've been working on this with a friend for about 3 weeks now and we are ready to show it to you , it not 100% done but it has a lot of visual information so its easier to comprehend.

Our goal is to have guides for all the crew skills with maps and show you what is the fastest and cheapest way to get to 400, the guides will be coming really soon I'm still working on my theory.

So if you are interested please check out www.crewskillz.com (or click the picture)

Let us know what you think about it or what needs to be worked let us know on the comments in this thread. If this was useful share it with your friends

HTML5 Capable Browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera, IE9+)
    Last edited by vanbuuren; 2011-12-16 at 05:05 AM.

Deleted
    Many internets for you!

10+ Year Old Account
    the site looks very clean and detailed for what you have now and seems to be on par with if not better than wow-professions.com
    good work

Quote Originally Posted by Nino View Post
    the site looks very clean and detailed for what you have now and seems to be on par with if not better than wow-professions.com
    good work
    Thanks, like I said this project is still in development and we will have more information and the guides soon, and we will be updating it frequently with more sections, we felt that the site was in a good state providing the info you needed to get started when choosing your crew skills and we wanted it to be out to see the responses we get and see what people had troubles with.

Watch out for IE (and maybe older opera/ff/khronos/safari/chrome versions) compatibility =P; apart from the canvas not working in non-css3 browsers, which degrades gracefully, in the most used versions (e.g. IE8 or below) the menu is broken, making the website totally unusable.

Also keep in mind lower resolutions! For the rest it's pretty good, apart from the logo - that's personal taste anyway =).

Quote Originally Posted by Truecolor View Post
    Watch out for IE (and maybe older opera/ff/khronos/safari/chrome versions) compatibility =P; apart from the canvas not working in non-css3 browsers, which degrades gracefully, in the most used versions (e.g. IE8 or below) the menu is broken, making the website totally unusable.

Also keep in mind lower resolutions! For the rest it's pretty good, apart from the logo - that's personal taste anyway =).
    Thanks for the comment, we already knew about IE8 being not compatible with HTML5/CSS3 but we decided to go for it since most of gamers don't use IE anymore and works with all the other browsers. I will edit the post advising to use any of the compatible browsers

Um one word sir. ..............WOW just WOW. great looking site, gets to the point and tells u exactly what u need to know about the Crew Skills and what u use use for your class. very excited to see where this site goes.

+10 internets for you sir.

---------- Post added 2011-12-16 at 05:30 AM ----------

ps. what u use PHP?

Quote Originally Posted by pyrotemplar
    ps. what u use PHP?
    I didn't really look into the code but I guess they used ajax with some jquery/js animations. Ajax communicates with the server using a database, so yea, together with php.

Quote Originally Posted by vanbuuren
    Thanks for the comment, we already knew about IE8 being not compatible with HTML5/CSS3 but we decided to go for it since most of gamers don't use IE anymore and works with all the other browsers. I will edit the post advising to use any of the compatible browsers
    The most parts that aren't incompatible are simple css that can be ruled outside and I'm sure whoever coded the site knows that.. no hard coding or bug fixing, more likely a working alternative for those who remained behind. Remember that this doesn't work on some phones or tablets, computers with restrictions (such as inability to update/install new programs). I know this is gaming and not something else, but come on.. make the internet better =).

Don't give up on compatibility whatever your reasoning is (expecially because you didn't approach it with progressive enhancement)!
    If your crew wants to fix some problems that the older browsers have (from the glimpse I gave at the code, there doesn't seem to be much fixing needed) and might need an hand, I'm up for helping - for a better internet.

Nicely done homie.

Hope to come back in a few months and see that beautiful layout bursting with even more info =)

Oh that is niiiiiice. Good work vanbuuren!

Site's wonderful, design is smooth and nice to the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Styxz View Post
    Nicely done homie.

Hope to come back in a few months and see that beautiful layout bursting with even more info =)
    Thanks! we are planning on adding guides for all skills and the reverse engineering section soon, couple of day I get my vacations and its go time.
    Also planning on adding comments for extra input.

we just wanted to get it out there and get some feedback.

It's been quite awhile since I was last blown away by someone's work on MMO. I just had to take a moment to thank you for the site. The functionality is nice and having a great layout doesn't hurt either. Great work.

Best fan-made site I've ever seen. Gives good and direct information, made it easy to decide what crewskills to go (:

First off, I have to say this looks amazing and feels like a godsend! I've been having some serious angst over which crew skills to take so ya'll rock!

One thing I noticed, when you go to class advisement and select your class (for example, http://www.crewskillz.com/classadvisor#warrior-knight ), the crafting skill descriptions have a little (-) sign next to them. Is that because you plan on giving examples or further info on those parts? When I first saw them, I figured it would work like a drop-down type menu.Like saying, "Oh! Artifice gives lightsaber modifications? Lemme click on the drop down button to see an example of some of the schematics that entails!" or more likely,"Lemme click on the serum dropdown for biochem because I have no clue what that is and maybe its important".

Not trying to bash or anything, I love what ya'll have done so far, maybe just a few pointers to make it retard proof

Quote Originally Posted by Avenn View Post
    First off, I have to say this looks amazing and feels like a godsend! I've been having some serious angst over which crew skills to take so ya'll rock!

One thing I noticed, when you go to class advisement and select your class (for example, http://www.crewskillz.com/classadvisor#warrior-knight ), the crafting skill descriptions have a little (-) sign next to them. Is that because you plan on giving examples or further info on those parts? When I first saw them, I figured it would work like a drop-down type menu.Like saying, "Oh! Artifice gives lightsaber modifications? Lemme click on the drop down button to see an example of some of the schematics that entails!" or more likely,"Lemme click on the serum dropdown for biochem because I have no clue what that is and maybe its important".

Not trying to bash or anything, I love what ya'll have done so far, maybe just a few pointers to make it retard proof
    Oh wow that is a great I idea my friend , that was only a bullet replacement but I like your idea, I'm going to consider it for the future.
    I'm glad the design was well received, we wanted it to deliver the information right to the point in the more clear and aesthetic pleasant way as possible.
    Last edited by vanbuuren; 2011-12-16 at 08:57 AM.

Deleted
    Used to be a regular user of wow-proffessions when I played wow and crewskillz seems to be my new place to turn when looking for info of this kind. Lovely layout and good information. Consider yourself bookmarked

So on your Treasure Hunting page, you have listed "Recommended Gathering Skill: Artifice".

As far as I know, artifice is a crafting skill...

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodthirsty View Post
    So on your Treasure Hunting page, you have listed "Recommended Gathering Skill: Artifice".

As far as I know, artifice is a crafting skill...
    Thanks for the catch , will fix it right away

Deleted

Very good work!

I like this website and will recommend it to others!

Just one question on the professions, i have heard that slicing is a big money maker. Would it be work having that with artifice and arch?