Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Question: Why can't you as a rogue pop feint and soak every single one? 50% reduction onto that is huge with a bubble ( without?) you should have enough. If you want to be a badass and are proficient enough with sub I would suggest you go sub, despite not being able to backstab you would have a change from 60% uptime of 50% damage reduction that increases to 80% damage reduction with 90% uptime through enveloping shadows.

The uptime on it allows you to pop it with the glyph every cooldown and you'll find that you take a great deal less damage than anyone in the fight. For the most part, random heals would keep you alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Nangz View Post
    Question: Why can't you as a rogue pop feint and soak every single one? 50% reduction onto that is huge with a bubble ( without?) you should have enough. If you want to be a badass and are proficient enough with sub I would suggest you go sub, despite not being able to backstab you would have a change from 60% uptime of 50% damage reduction that increases to 80% damage reduction with 90% uptime through enveloping shadows.

The uptime on it allows you to pop it with the glyph every cooldown and you'll find that you take a great deal less damage than anyone in the fight. For the most part, random heals would keep you alive.
    Looming Darkness — When struck by Hour of Twilight, powerful waves of Twilight energy course through the victim, rendering them more susceptible to the harmful effects of Hour of Twilight. Players instantly die if Hour of Twilight inflicts additional damage to them.

In heroic this is a 1 shot no matter what, it kill through dmg reduction/immunes/even cauterize like abillities. So you have to rotate people in. (talking about heroic btw)

1. tank1 + Cloak of Shadows
    2. tank2 + Warlock
    3. Cauterize + Dispersion
    4. tank1 + Cloak of Shadows
    5. tank2 + hPaladin Divine Shield
    6. Ice Block + Dispersion
    7. tank1 + Cloak of Shadows

I'm not sure what Warlocks can do to survive it, if not, replace it with the Death Knight going unholy. I've also heard that Hand of Sacrifice + Divine Protection has worked too.
    Last edited by timoseewho; 2011-12-19 at 06:02 AM.
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Mal'Ganis-US Horde 20-man 10/10M 8/10M, currently recruiting all
    Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho

Quote Originally Posted by higgamo View Post
    Looming Darkness — When struck by Hour of Twilight, powerful waves of Twilight energy course through the victim, rendering them more susceptible to the harmful effects of Hour of Twilight. Players instantly die if Hour of Twilight inflicts additional damage to them.

In heroic this is a 1 shot no matter what, it kill through dmg reduction/immunes/even cauterize like abillities. So you have to rotate people in. (talking about heroic btw)
    Wowhead fails with no mention of that lol... I'd assume the debuff isn't able to removed by cloak so you cannot do feint then cloak for the next.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    A Destro warlock can definitely eat an Hour of Twilight no problem, just make sure that he's using his Nether Ward a few seconds before the cast so that it procs and he has 30% reduced damage from it.
    Nether Prot won't work. It is not resistible dmg.

A Blood DK can soak every Hour of Twilight. On my alt (Blood dk) I did this to prevent confusion with the other tank (this was also 10man). Blood DK takes very minimal damage (I was usually no less than 75% health). Simply use Bone shield + AMS, and a majority of the damage is mitigated.

Edit: Disregard, did not notice this was heroic.
    Last edited by jonathan123475; 2011-12-19 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Did not notice this was Heroic at time of Post

We killed H-Ult, but we had a muuuuuuuuch better comp than you. I play the MM hunter in our group (glad to finally be useful). You want people with (as close to) complete immunities soaking first, so they can soak 1/4/7 because that 7th one is near the soft enrage (past 5 minutes) which means a person can easily die on an HoT if they're too low and don't have a full immunity. As an example, our rogue cloaks and I deter the 1/4/7 Hours. To give you an idea, we had hunter deterrence, rogue cloak, a frost DK soaking with AMS/safeguard from the prot warrior, DG from the prot pally, and on his second soak, AMS/safeguard/PainSupp, an spriest dispersion, and our tanks soaking with their own cooldowns. You essentially need 6 ppl soaking, because the first team will be ready to go agan by the 4th hour. I would never have one of your healers soaking, they have enough stress as it is by the end of this fight.

With your setup, I foresee a few problems. For one, your mage can't be part of a reliable rotation, iceblock has a 5 minute CD outside of frost (and the dps check is probably too big to raid frost), and 2 a warlock is bleh. And cauterize is...well, bad. After the hour goes off, the phased out players are still phased out for about 2 seconds, during which your cauterized mage might burn out and die. Like someone said, the damage is unresistable, so prayer of shadow protection won't help, and I'm not sure nether ward helps. Our lock stays demo and does nothing in re: soaking hours. Here's what I'd suggest with your comp.

1st: rogue/spriest dispersion
    2nd: blood DK/boomkin w/BS, passive moonkin reduction, and a DG from the prot pally. All those'll be up in time. Plus, DG'll be up in time for late in the fight when the raid needs it. The prot pally can't use it for his own soaks, so he might as well use it for other people's soaks.
    3rd: prot pally, frost/unholy DK with an AMS/possible AMZ/IBF and a sac from the hpally.

Obviously, the hairy ones'll be the boomkin and the DK, especially on the second one where I don't think he'll have IBF again. You can potentially switch the two so the DK is doing 2 and 5, which're less stressful hours to soak.

Have the hpally/rshaman heal. Vigor might be useful for this fight, dunno, our resto shaman hasn't been in on it yet.

This may not be helpful to you but since you mentioned a resto druid I'll post how we do it
    1) Warrior tank + resto druid with barkskin/intervene (Our warrior tank has safeguard, 30% reduced damage on next hit to whoever he intervenes)
    2) Blood DK + Spriest
    3) Rogue + Frost dk AMS/IBF/intervene
    Just try to think outside the box with external cds like pain sup or prot pally raid wall, and remember resistance boosts like aura mastery do not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmickey View Post
    Nether Prot won't work. It is not resistible dmg.
    You don't understand. The talent Nether Protection reduces damage taken by the spell school that was absorbed. It doesn't increase your resistance like in previous expansions.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickz View Post
    So if I understand your post correctly, you're having a warlock and other dps stat out to take Hour of Twilight?

The way we're doing it is having myself ( feral tank) stay out with barkskin up ( reduced cooldown with thrall buff ) , leaves me with 20% hp which they can heal up pretty easily.

Never had any problems with hour of twilight on that fight.
    That's what we do as well. Only that I pop Survival Instincts and I hardly take any dmg. Our Prot Pala and me take turns on soaking the dmg, that way we have a good CD up for every time. It's never been an issue but I fail to understand why you would ever let dps soak the dmg tbh.

Okay you're talking about heroic. In that case you need to make sure, that people are topped off, before they soak it. If people time their personal CD's it really shouldn't be that hard. The "only" hard thing is beating the enrage timer.
    Last edited by mmoc3a262a3a21; 2011-12-19 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Reading issues

Quote Originally Posted by Tekloth View Post
    I'm not sure, but the simplest way to find that out for you is when you pull Ultraxion for the first time, get your mage to soak the first Hour with IB along with someone else and see if he gets the debuff. If he does get the debuff then it won't work.
    Done that yesterday -> as I supposed: Doesn't work ... If you have the debuff, you'll die, no matter what! (no guardian spirit, cauterize, etc will work if you have the debuff and take HoT...).

And for those wondering: cloak, iceblock, bubble etc won't work either and it won't cancel the debuff!

However, got him to 3% in 5:23 within a couple of attempts, should go down tomorrow if healers don't screw up again

Soaking HoT looked like that:
    prot pally + fire mage (cauterize)
    prot warr + rogue
    hunter + dk (ibf, ams + sac/pain sup)
    prot pally + fire mage (cauterize)
    prot warr + rogue
    hunter + ret pally (bubble)
    think there was not 7th but if there would be, same game starts all over again: prot pally + mage (but IB instead of cauterize since healers are really stressed at the end of the fight).

Quote Originally Posted by Danishgirl View Post
    That's what we do as well. Only that I pop Survival Instincts and I hardly take any dmg. Our Prot Pala and me take turns on soaking the dmg, that way we have a good CD up for every time. It's never been an issue but I fail to understand why you would ever let dps soak the dmg tbh.

Okay you're talking about heroic. In that case you need to make sure, that people are topped off, before they soak it. If people time their personal CD's it really shouldn't be that hard. The "only" hard thing is beating the enrage timer.
    People simply "timing their personals" is not good advice on this fight. A prime example is enhancement shamanstic rage or druid barkskin. Both are excellent 1 min CDs but they wont save the player alone. I play a druid and barkskin/bearform alone is not enough to survive the 240k hit. The point of the OP was to ask what other guilds are doing because few classes can survive it alone without external CDs.

The 7th hour hits shortly after the 5 minute mark, so unless you're pulling numbers like Exodus, you're gonna get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Danishgirl View Post

You've clearly never done this fight on heroic nor do you know the mechanics.

Deleted
    True it might not have been a good reply, so let me redo that.

First of all, your tanks have got to survive - no excuse not to survive. Have them use stam trinkets for the extra health pool and as a Bear I do survive 240k with Survival Instincts up. Why would you ever only use Barkskin on HoT?

On a note, do your DK swap into Blood presence during HoT for the extra health pool?

There's no reason why you have to have more or less everyone to be part of the rotation OP. Use the people with the strongest CD's i.e the tanks and then make use of people with a strong and short CD.

If you're timing it right with the Hpala's HoS on the Lock, I don't understand why he's dying. What I mean with timing your CD's is also that waiting until the last minute before using a CD is fine and nothing to worry about. I've tried popping a CD right before HoT goes off, cause the CD wasn't up until then.

---------- Post added 2011-12-19 at 09:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xaru View Post
    You've clearly never done this fight on heroic nor do you know the mechanics.
    Ofc not. I'm not even playing the game......

The mechanics aren't that much different from normal, when we're talking about HoT. The difference lies in the debuff. So don't make it sound like, the mechanics are all that different please.

Edit: It would make it easier with some logs. I suggested your tanks using some stam trinkets, if they're having issues (you mentioned your Prot Pala fucking up). But depending on your dps, you might need your tanks to use some sort of dps trinket for the extra dps, otherwise you're gonna struggle beating the enrage timer.

Also, your setup isn't really that cool for this fight^^
    Last edited by mmoc3a262a3a21; 2011-12-19 at 09:07 AM.