10+ Year Old Account
    Second star to the right, and straight on till morning

Atrocious Frame Rate

Would appreciate some help from you computer junkies playing the game. Let me know if its just my computer, or if I'm likely missing a setting or driver somewhere.

SPECS:
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9100 @ 2.26GHz
    6 GB DDR3 1334 MHz Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M (1GB VRAM) x2 or Integrated NVIDIA GeForce 9400 (256 MB VRAM)

So yes, I do play on a laptop, but its a bit less than 2 years old. I didn't expect to be able to run full settings, but I get 20-ish or lower FPS with 1024x780 (or whatever the 1024 x Resolution is). Standstill I've peaked at about 41 FPS, but moving/combat can severly drop it, and its not uncommon to be in the high single digits during combat.

I'd be happy to provide any more information that you might need, that just all the relevant stuff I could find easily.

I suppose it could be an SLI issue, but I honestly don't know enough to say for sure. It basically not enjoyable though, and I'd rather know now if I can fix something, or if I'm limited by my setup.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Last edited by DockyWocky; 2011-12-16 at 08:53 PM. Reason: I said mooing instead of moving, though my FPS while mooing is low as well

The game is poorly optimized. I get 10fps to 81fps standing and walking in the same spot.

Running any addons?

I've had to disable a few since 4.3 as they were dropping me to sub 10 FPS at all times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakara View Post
    Running any addons?

I've had to disable a few since 4.3 as they were dropping me to sub 10 FPS at all times.
    SWTOR doesn't have addons...yet.

Tried turning shadows completely off?

e: Was having framerate issues, tried using the Low setting, didn't help. Turned Shadows off completely, suddenly everything else will now run on High.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't, option in game, or do I have to manually disable?

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I did this on my laptop and it seems to have helped. Everything on low settings too btw

1)turned on triple buffering, that got me like a 10fps boost. (this is something you have to do through your card not ingame)
    2) turned off shadows
    3) turned off vertical sync

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M (1GB VRAM) x2 or Integrated NVIDIA GeForce 9400 (256 MB VRAM)

Question 1: Do you have an alienware laptop? (if so make sure you didn't click the turbo button and turn off your SLI video cards. You'd be amazed how many times i've seen that fix the problem of bad FPS)

Question 2: Have you made sure you are actually using your SLI video cards?(or that you even have SLI and not that single geforce 9400)

Sounds like you might be using the Geforce 9400 when your laptop should be using SLI. I'd start there. Goto your display options in control panel and look at what video card is currently in use.

Just a thought, hope it helps and good luck.

Scoobers

Quote Originally Posted by DestroDoc View Post
    I haven't, option in game, or do I have to manually disable?
    Option ingame.

I know 2 people who were having the same issue, they disabled shadows and no more problems. General chat was talking about it last night too, it is apparently a common issue for people.

Quote Originally Posted by DestroDoc View Post
    I get 20-ish or lower FPS with 1024x780 (or whatever the 1024 x Resolution is).
    I cried when I logged in yesterday and I was barely able to play due to low FPS, at LOW settings.
    Today I discovered that I can play at MAX settings just putting to OFF shadows.

Interesting, isn't it?

Go disable those shadows and you'll see.
    "I look bigger in those mirrors where things look bigger."

10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome, ty guys. It seems that the shadows were eating a ton of video RAM for no reason. Back to real settings and 70+ FPS.

YOU GUYS ROCK!

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    You don't need to disable VSYNC unless you really like screen tearing. Once shadows are off you should be good to go.

WoW had a similar problem for most of Wrath. I don't get why MMO devs can't write an engine that does shadows efficiently.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".