Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

Can a good person be a leader?

I'm not talking about racism or anything of that sort, I'm talking about a person that is essentially good and their ability to be a leader, regardless of how big or how small the scale is. Do you believe it is actually possible for one to do this?

When I mean *good*, I mean willing to do whatever it takes for the good of the people as long as it is just without lies or scandals to occur. How you interpret it past that point is completely up to you.

Without trying to go too Off Topic, I'm not trying to say that every leader is a terrible person in general.
    Last edited by MAGAmobile; 2011-12-17 at 05:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know. A leader has to be pragmatic, which can lead to actions that seem cruel and unjust, but are for the greater good, so people will interpret him as evil or tyrannical. I don't remember where the quote is from, but a ruler that is loved by all of his subjects is a terrible one.

Depends on how you define "good"

Usually people with leadership skills are charismatic. We've had ruthless and immoral leaders like Mao Zedong, and then on the opposite end of the spectrum we've had really good leaders like Martin Luther King. So yea, a good person can be a leader.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess it depends on your definition of "good". I personally think there's plenty of good people with enough backbone to get the job done, but then there's the good-person stereotype I'm sure we're all thinking about that's seen as a sort of pushover/follower/etc.
    A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.-George Bernard Shaw

10+ Year Old Account
    well if raiding has taught me anything then no, not really. the want to be seen as good or nice, overrides the need to tell people what to do, and where they are not performing.. which in real life situations could be very endangering..

"Good" people would probably lack interest in being leaders.
    Keep The Beats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheImmortalLordAtlas View Post
    "Good" people would probably lack interest in being leaders.
    I don't think that is entirely true. I believe that there are people who take up the role of leadership with good intentions in mind, but are corrupted by the realization of how much power they have.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good person =/= Good leader, they require different things.
    "Oh, wretched ephemeral race, children of chance and misery, why do you compel me to tell you what it would be more expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is utterly beyond your reach; not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. But the second best for you is --- to die soon." Silenus

What was that old addage...?

A man who fears you will obey you, but a man who respects you will lay down his life to protect you and your ideals.

Or something like that.

So yeah, I think a good person could potentially be an even better leader. If someone fears you, yeah they'll follow your orders, but they most likely won't take a bullet for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Todgruppe View Post
    What things? Please elaborate.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Todgruppe View Post
    While this is true to an extent, what is the breaking point between one and the other that makes it so?
    Last edited by MAGAmobile; 2011-12-17 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Grammar/Wording

10+ Year Old Account
    A good person doesn't lead people.

People follow a good person.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post

That's a really good way to put it.

I'm trying to think of well-intentioned people who are, or were, leaders.

The Queen
    Robin Hood
    Papa Smurf

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

Wouldn't people despise a good person though because they say things how they are and to better them, even if it challenges their own beliefs? Unless I am getting the wording wrong, that seems kind of backwards to me.

Not trying to troll here but essentially you are saying the people like Saddam, Hitler, and Osama were good people, as are all cult leaders...
    Keep The Beats!

Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    Usually people with leadership skills are charismatic. We've had ruthless and immoral leaders like Mao Zedong, and then on the opposite end of the spectrum we've had really good leaders like Martin Luther King. So yea, a good person can be a leader.
    Yeah, Typrax pretty much hit the nail on the head. There are many types of leadership from a dictator to some one elected to lead like a president. A raid leader will be any number of different types of this leader role. As long as he can lead people to accomplish their goal he could be like a Hitler, or like Obama. He could be an idiot like W. Bush, or a genius like Stephen Hawking. The best trait however of a leader I think is for the people he leads to trust him. There are dozens of leadership traits though it goes on and on. I learned all my leadership qualities from the Marines. I'm currently the GM and raid leader of my guild.

Quote Originally Posted by TheImmortalLordAtlas View Post
    Not trying to troll here but essentially you are saying the people like Saddam, Hitler, and Osama were good people, as are all cult leaders...
    That's irrelevant though, because people still follow leaders who are good. Obviously those people you mentioned weren't good because they used fear and intimidation in addition to being charismatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    That's irrelevant though, because people still follow leaders who are good. Obviously those people you mentioned weren't good because they used fear and intimidation in addition to being charismatic.
    It said "People follow a good person"...
    Keep The Beats!