Imperial Agent Questions.

Hey all. I'm currently trying to decide upon a class for SWTOR. For the most part I have it narrowed down between the Sorcerer and both of the Imperial agent adv classes. I played sorc in beta to level 23 but didn't play the agent at all. Hoping to get some information from others to help me decide since I'll be leveling up among my wow guild and wouldn't think about switching classes until I hit max at the earliest.

First of all, how is the story and companions for the Imperial agent? Would be great if you could rate it against the inquisitor class for me. I loved the inquisitor story line and the first companion was awesome. No spoilers please!

Advanced classes. I tried to read all the talents but it doesn't really help much until you actually play the classes. The only thing I really know is that the operative seems to be stealth based and the sniper is obviously ranged. I know this is kind of a broad question but if anyone could talk about their personal experiences playing as either adv class it would be greatly appreciated.

Cover system. I have heard some bad things about this. How does it play out in pve/pvp, and if needed can it be ignored? Do you personally like it or not?

Lastly, its probably hard to determine but how did the general balance of each adv class feel. Did they feel overpowered, underpowered, or just right? Especially interested in the experiences of those who have played at max level.

I hit 30 on my Operative Thursday (taking a break to let my friends catch up that just got into Early Access). I put all my points into the healing tree so I can't give much insight into the comparisons. However I am having a ton of fun on him. I really like the story. As far as companions go you basically have to stick with the one you get early for a while, I think IA is one of the later ones to get another companion. So if you hate that first one then you might not have as much fun. Though I really like the new companion.

DPS wise for an Operative you never use the cover system really. That is basically just for Snipers. You can still use it obviously but all your good skills will be melee or short range depending on your dps tree. You'll definitely be able to ignore it for an Operative (can't remember the last time I actually used it) but it is 100% needed for the Sniper. I do believe that snipers get a portable cover that does give some benefit but you'll still have to take the time to do it.

My fights with tough enemies go pretty long but that is because I'm a healer.

Sorry I don't have more to say but if you have any more specific questions I can try and give some more info.

Deleted
    I've got a sorcerer to level 21 now and had a 17 sniper in the beta. Storywise I prefered the IA that was really fun. Gameplay wise I would have to go for sorcerer, I'm not sure about the cover system yet, it seemed okay but I just didn't quite get into it. I also preferred the IA first companion there was a much better story there that finding this thing and it following you round.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a 26 Sniper. So far, the cover system is pretty OK. I miss the mobility DPS of my Merc at times, but some times I like it. Like when I'm holding off attackers trying to cap a node.

The biggest down part of Sniper that I found is that you're pure DPS. It makes finding a flashpoint for me pretty damn hard. As a Sorc, even a DPS Sorc, you always have the option of healing and getting a group tons faster. Hopefully this will work out at 50 when raids will need more DPS.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

IA sniper here

Quote Originally Posted by Blizark View Post
    Hey all. I'm currently trying to decide upon a class for SWTOR. For the most part I have it narrowed down between the Sorcerer and both of the Imperial agent adv classes. I played sorc in beta to level 23 but didn't play the agent at all. Hoping to get some information from others to help me decide since I'll be leveling up among my wow guild and wouldn't think about switching classes until I hit max at the earliest.

First of all, how is the story and companions for the Imperial agent? Would be great if you could rate it against the inquisitor class for me. I loved the inquisitor story line and the first companion was awesome. No spoilers please!

Advanced classes. I tried to read all the talents but it doesn't really help much until you actually play the classes. The only thing I really know is that the operative seems to be stealth based and the sniper is obviously ranged. I know this is kind of a broad question but if anyone could talk about their personal experiences playing as either adv class it would be greatly appreciated.

Cover system. I have heard some bad things about this. How does it play out in pve/pvp, and if needed can it be ignored? Do you personally like it or not?

Lastly, its probably hard to determine but how did the general balance of each adv class feel. Did they feel overpowered, underpowered, or just right? Especially interested in the experiences of those who have played at max level.

Sorry, can't compare and contrast with SI, but I could with a SW.

I'm having fun, with story and abilities. Being a sniper it's nice to have some cover when there isn't any or very little "natural" cover available. Things get a little hairy if I run into a melee class that rushes me. Have to focus on that more than my preferred targets. But that's part of the fun.

Since I haven't done an instance with anyone yet, can't say if they feel overpowered or not. I like the damage that I am doing.

My companion, she's fun to have around, but would have liked the option to customize her some more, or even have the option to choose other types of companions. I have found that the ship droid is a bit irritating, but I suppose is supposed to be a bit like 3PO from the movies.

Anyway, hope this helps some. Don't rush to max level, have fun with the class quests and the various chains that you run into. It's been an adventure so far.

See you in game soon.

15+ Year Old Account
    played a sniper to 18 in beta.

my current operative is 17.

i like operative the most, far more than my assassin i got to 14 in beta.

with operative, it's a good mix of melee and ranged and more than once i've had to pick up the slack in someone elses healing, which it seems i may be doing more often because healing is pretty cool too.

i also love the fact that operative is the least played class, or one of the least. it's a nice hidden gem, thanks to no lightsabers.

Is concealment and lethality both melee focused for operative?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blizark View Post
    Is concealment and lethality both melee focused for operative?
    Kind of.
    MY operative is 36 at the moment. Concealment is definitely more melee oriented. Lethality has a lot of poison and DoT damage and most of those abilities are usable from range but you still have many abilities that are only usable in melee range.
    Last edited by Shamburger; 2011-12-17 at 02:24 PM.