10+ Year Old Account

watching movies before playing.

Before I start actually playing the game when it comes out, I wanted to refresh my memory of star wars by watching the movies to get info and understand the game better. My question is, what movies, and in what order should I watch them before I start playing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get MW3, Skyrim is just a rehash of Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezh View Post
    Because I'm brave enough to smoke. I see no point in quitting

Deleted
    well, there is chronological order 1-6, or release date order 4,5,6,1,2,3.

but to be honest, 90% of the stuff in the films is completely irrelevant, because they were set in a galaxy long long ago far far away, and all of the events of the old republic were like double the time gap. but hey, buy it today and you probably get to start playing today too

Quote Originally Posted by haxs101 View Post
    Before I start actually playing the game when it comes out, I wanted to refresh my memory of star wars by watching the movies to get info and understand the game better. My question is, what movies, and in what order should I watch them before I start playing?
    Movies are pretty much irrelevant to the game, as it is set thousands of years before the time in the movies. To your question, I'd probably watch them in intended order - 1 to 6.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Deleted
    i like you nameless, lets be friends.

Watch em all in the correct order. Dunno why you'd seek any other order than the one it's meant to be watched in.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

I suggest you watch them in order they came out, for the simple reason it's how they were intended to be seen. Hmm how can I put it, the old movies were not aware of the newer ones if you know what I mean, but the new ones have tons of references to the older stuff, making them much more enjoyable. And the new trilogy really needs that. Otherwise there's a higher chance you will get bored with them midway. Also, if you see the effects of the new trilogy first, the second one might feel worse, especially Episode IV.

Quote Originally Posted by Treepunch View Post
    i like you nameless, lets be friends.
    Just to warn you though, I'm a panda person.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    Just to warn you though, I'm a panda person.
    everyone is, people just dont admit it for fear of being flamed by leopard people.

I definitely would suggest watching the movies. Even if you can still play and understand the game without watching the movies, there is no better way to get to know the SW universe than to watch the movies.

I suppose you should watch them in the order they came out. So the Original Trilogy first, and then the Prequels.

Deleted
    In my opinion I think it's a better idea in this case play knights of the old republic than watching the movies.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    Watch em all in the correct order. Dunno why you'd seek any other order than the one it's meant to be watched in.
    could u be less specific about "correct order"? Personally I'd watch 'em 1-6.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wherever there are gnomes that havent been eaten yet.
    I would watch them 4,5,6 then 1,2,3 if you havent seen them before...4-6 is waaaaaay better story-wise, and 1-3 is good for going "oH thats why this shit's all fucked up."

now, if you want story thats a bit more relative to the current timeline of SWTOR, i'd say play Knights of the Old Republic for a few days.
    <Insert something witty and humorous here>

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone suggesting watching them 4,5, 1-3, 6. If you are familiar with the movies you know why. 1-3 go well with the end of 5 and set you for a climatic end in 6. Going from the end of 3 to 6 makes for an awesome transition.

Reading the Stars Wars wiki page will fill you end on the story more though. I read the Sith page and clicked links on various subject, it fills you in a lot of story and why things are they way they are. The movies and SWTOR are two very different eras even though the movies are sort of final end to the remnants of the SWTOR era. On the Empire side at least, you can see things as if Darth Sidius was greatly influenced by the era and the way the Empire and Sith functioned. When Sidius designed his Empire he modeled it after the SWTOR era (even though its mostly Biowares time wizards doing the opposite).
    Last edited by PACOX; 2011-12-17 at 11:03 AM.

or just watch this: I really liked it

ww_w.youtube.com/watch?v=KeboxMqdXdE
    (Remove the underscore in the www)
    It's kind of a 50 min summary of the history leading up to SW:ToR

Deleted
    You should watch them with a couple of friends and make a drinking game out of it. Start with 4-6 then watch 1-3, so by the time you finish the prequels you will be drunk enough not to remember them.