Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    I couldn't even rack up a quarter of that in Rift before getting bored and disliking it. Every time I get off, its because I forced myself to get off for sleep. This game is stunning. Its launch is absolutely flawless. WoWs launch? Server crashes every 15min for 3 months. Every major content patch? Lag and DCs everywhere. Maintenance? 'We'll be done shortly.' *12 hours later* 'Sorry we experienced some issues'. SWTOR? 'Hey everyone log in and download the patch! We did maintenance late at night when everyone is typically sleeping and it lasted for 3 hours! You can all log in and enjoy your gameplay'.

Sorry, I have yet to see anything that WoW tops. The combat is more interesting. Its fluid. The questing is actually fun (sometimes its not obviously). The PvP is incredibly addicting. There are hardly any balancing issues and its LAUNCH. WoW has balancing issues on a daily basis.
    I'm not saying the game is going to flop. Or WoW > SWToR. What I am saying, is saying anything like "Played 16hrs, or 2 days, and due to what I've witnessed, it will dethrone WOW" is a terrible way to go around judging and comparing these type games.

Statements like that could only even start to hold true after a few months of the game being launched. Then at least you can start to compare more, IE updates, longetivity in gameplay, customer service etc.
    Also "The combat is more interesting" is an opinion, not a fact, and what are the bets some will say they prefer WoW's combat? PvP is addicting, to you, for now. Again what about in a few months? You really don't know. Also balancing issues occur in every game, and will occur in SWToR. In PvP it's only time until complaints start hitting the forums, and in PvE there's no meters to say what's actually going on.

Tl:dr Right at this moment, it's only judging a book by it's cover. This kind of book though is the type that takes months to read, then and only then can you judge.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get to feel the warmth it brings.

Deleted
    SWTOR will never, ever dethrone WoW. I think it would have been far better if BioWare just made a KOTOR3, they are really good in developing a story but the setting doesnt fit a MMO at all.

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    So you say SWTOR is a WOW clone who have better graphic and you think that the endgame content/pvp MIGHT be better..... please come back and tell then you know... now you are only wishing....

My prediction is that SWTOR will be slower the WOW to get out new endgame content because of the better graphic and all the voice acting, and after some weeks it will be cryinging on the forum that class X is bad compeer to Y
    While it doesn't have voice acting, Rift has better graphics than WoW and the players in that game are asking the Devs to stop putting out so much end game content so fast. If they can put out in a month what it takes Blizz to put out in 4, I'm pretty sure that TOR can compete with Blizz when it comes to timelines.

OT : I've said this before and will again, TOR isn't likely to dethrone WoW. First, there's too many people who don't care for Star Wars. Second, there's plenty of people who don't have the desire to start the leveling process all over again. Third, there's entrenched people who just prefer WoW's gameplay. Fourth, some people will leave WoW, go to TOR and find it's not for them and go back to WoW. I think that they can easily compete with WoW, but they're going to have to make sure they stay on top of content updates.

As far as I'm concerned, I'll never go back to WoW. I love the storylines and voice acting in this game, not to mention the combat. I feel it's actually better than WoW because of the queue system they have in place for abilities. No more do you have to worry about hitting your buttons as the exact moment the GCD ends or the cast time finishes. It's a much more fluid system making latency much less of an issue. Plus, considering everything except maybe one ability is reliant on CDs or rage/focus/ammo/heat, it gives you more buttons to push.

Deleted
    Honestly my Jedi Knight, although similar to my warrior, felt so much better. Force leap never gets old. You can jump from a bridge to the ground, or from the ground to the bridge, there are no pathing problems.

Not to mention that the animations look way cooler.

But I agree. SWTOR picked up that old MMORPG genre, left behind by games like EQ, which WoW improved upon, and made it better. There is no reason not to love it other than pure fanboyism, imo, and while I would love if they risked a little more into bringing something really new, like GW2 is doing, the little differences and Star Wars feeling is more than enough to make me forget about any similarities.

It's a lot of fun, and for the first time I actually want to take my time levelling and appreciate the story.

I don't care if this dethrones WoW or not, I'm don't have any stock in EA to care about that. I just know me and my friends will be playing this for a good while. As for WoW, I'm not leaving it because of this, my account has been frozen since January, I don't care about it since then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oboloz View Post
    not everyone likes the whole "star wars" theme.

The only thing that will dethrone wow in my opinion, is going to be a game made by blizzard. (probably next mmo.)
    titan :d :d.

It will not dethrone wow because of one simple fact: creativity restrictions and bias.
    In ToR devs are restricted to Star Wars universe and its rules, so they cant implement universe with a rich content like tons of diffrent magic, demons, undeads, holy powers, steam-tech etc which means 90% of what we have in WoW.
    When one is playing a Star Wars game, one feels slighty restricted to what it can offer. This is the only defect of this mmo I found so far. The rest is awesome

Final conclusion: if you played wow and enjoyed it, you will miss its setting and fatasy stuff that gave you fun, so after 1-3 months you will end up playing ToR + WoW or ToR + GW 2. It is inevitable.

Those mmos can co-exists together
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2011-12-17 at 07:08 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WireRabbit View Post
    Then GuildWars 2 will dethrone SWTOR.
    GW2 has no sub fee so there is nothing they can dethrone exept for sales.
    with sw tor vs wow the thing is that many people will only get 1 sub game , that is not a issue with GW2 and many people will probally play gw2 and one of the sub games because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgtsparkles View Post
    No. MMO's are based off staying power, which SWTOR lacks. SWTOR has a really, really strong and engaging story that it presents while you level. That's all it has. There is a reason people call it kotor 3. Unless Bioware really starts pumping out a lot of story content (since it lacks engaging raid content in my opinion, that's to be seen though. Even if the raiding content is good, the first complaint you'll hear about swtor is the clunky combat, so raiding isn't the way for them to go anyways) which is consumed faster than raiding content, it's going to fall flat on it's face. Even if it doesn't, it doesn't have a chance at dethroning WoW.
    You're right, engaging raid content definitely has yet to be seen considering very few people have seen it. How can you possibly form an opinion on something that you haven't even played or really seen much of? One boss fight, the first boss fight, from one raid, in a video that you saw, has made up your mind on raid content?

And clunky combat? How is their combat any more clunky than WoW? Fanboy much?

People call it KOTOR 3 because it has the feel of KOTOR only in an MMO environment. Not because it lacks staying power. All of your assumptions are based in assumptions. Good job at creating opinion from opinion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    . The PvP is incredibly addicting. There are hardly any balancing issues and its LAUNCH. WoW has balancing issues on a daily basis.
    Interesting, please enlighten me, tell me what do SWTOR different to WOW if they have "hardly any balancing issues"

Deleted
    If by playing cards right you mean reworking PvP and making it not shit - totally.

1 DR on everything - never, never, NEVER gonna make PvP worth anything. Especially when my main nuke has a slow (like Mind Flay) - I use my main nuke - no stuns, no nothing. How much fail is that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha, oh you guys.

I can't believe you guys are still debating graphics and gameplay and longevity and quality of content and things like that. These things are without a doubt some of the major deciding factors of why a gamer would try a new MMO, however, gamers do not make up the population of WoW. To think otherwise is a little dense.

Sure gamers, play the game, but there are SO many WoW subbers that don't even PLAY games. They play WoW. WoW takes absolutely no gaming knowledge to install, turn on, and level to 85 completing thousands of quests and achievements in the process, letting anyone with the ability to click a spell feel accomplished.

TOR will be a huge success, don't get me wrong, but 10,15, 20m subs? Not in this lifetime.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

I hate everything star wars always have always will and tho I think swtor will do well i think after awhile it will just be star wars fan boys keeping it going, not mmo fans. Its defo gona challange wow but on xfire its still about 100k hours behind per day, but that may change as more people get swtor, and tbh im glad a game can challange wow, so blizz pulls thier fingers out.

If it dethrones wow good for it I don't care ill be playing wow/gw2 when its out anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    It will not dethrone wow because of one simple fact: creativity restrictions and bias.
    In ToR devs are restricted to Star Wars universe and its rules, so they cant implement universe with a rich content like tons of diffrent magic, demons, undeads, holy powers, steam-tech etc which means 90% of what we have in WoW and all this let u enjoy the game to be honest.
    When one is playing a Star Wars game, one feels slighty restricted to what it can offer. This is the only defect of this mmo I found so far. The rest is awesome

Final conclusion: if you played wow and enjoyed it, you will miss its setting and fatasy stuff that gave you fun, so after 1-3 months you will end up playing ToR + WoW or ToR + GW 2. It is inevitable.

Those mmos can co-exists together
    Actually, they can offer anything they want as long as they don't shit on the original lore, Lucas has said as much in the past. They can create new planets, new conflicts, new characters, new talents. It's the reason why Bioware chose to put the original KOTOR universe thousands of years before Episode 1. They're really not limited on any kind of creativity at all because what happens now is highly unlikely to affect what happens in the 6 movies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgtsparkles View Post
    No. MMO's are based off staying power, which SWTOR lacks. SWTOR has a really, really strong and engaging story that it presents while you level. That's all it has. There is a reason people call it kotor 3. Unless Bioware really starts pumping out a lot of story content (since it lacks engaging raid content in my opinion, that's to be seen though. Even if the raiding content is good, the first complaint you'll hear about swtor is the clunky combat, so raiding isn't the way for them to go anyways) which is consumed faster than raiding content, it's going to fall flat on it's face. Even if it doesn't, it doesn't have a chance at dethroning WoW.
    .Based on what? have you done any tor raids or endgame content? can you say that with proof? furthermore story content is cleared faster than raid content? are you high? 8/8 lfr and 5/8 normal the DAY 4.3 came out. I realize thats not the best measure but to say that story content will be eaten up faster (especially when you consider each class has a unique class story and republic/empire have entirely different stories all togegther) is a fucking joke. Will it dethrone wow? I could give a fuck less the game is really fun. Do clowns like the above that was quoted have any clue wtf they are talkign about? not really
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2011-12-17 at 07:14 PM.

So you say SWTOR is a WOW clone who have better graphic and you think that the endgame content/pvp MIGHT be better..... please come back and tell then you know... now you are only wishing....

My prediction is that SWTOR will be slower the WOW to get out new endgame content because of the better graphic and all the voice acting, and after some weeks it will be cryinging on the forum that class X is bad compeer to Y
    Can you define "cryinging" , I'm having a hard time finding it in my dictionary.
    Krimson states...
    Clearly the correct play here is to drop acid everyday.
    Just because you can't easily overdose on acid doesn't mean that dropping 50 hits in a night won't turn you into a drooling retard.

whats this wow you guys are talking about? Is it on XBOX?

SWTOR ALL THE WAY BABY!

Probably this, if you think content patches come out with a snails pace in WOW imagine what it will be like in TOR with every quest needing voice acting and the what not. Lets just give the game time because the same people who complain endlessly about WOW will still be present in TOR, and you know they have a LOT if complaining to do.

No WoW killer threads.