10+ Year Old Account

Windows install question

Should i be making a partition to install windows into? If so how large would be appropriate for win 7 64 bit?
    Being constructive feels good. You should try it.

Windows will make one when you're installing it. Default is whole disc, but you can manually make smaller partition for it if you want to.

Appropriate partition size depends on what you want to put there. If you just install everything with next-next-next routine few games will take 100GB easily. But on the other hand if you make a d:\programs folder and install everything you can there, 50GB would be more than enough.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see. Should i bother? Is there any benefit to it?

Ok heres the scoop. Iwill be adding an ssd in the future to put windows and a few games on and when i reinstall windows on the ssd i would like it to go smooth as possible. I presume having windows on its own partition at that time would make the uninstall easier? Or am i concerned about nothing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    You don't "Uninstall" Windows. You simply format the drive.
    Yes, yes. Thats what i mean. But having windows on its own partition would be easiest so that i can just format <c:thisismywindowsdrive>

then install it onto an ssd.

This way i would not need to format the whole mechanical hard drive and have to reinstall WoW, Swtor, itunes etc. Correct?
    Last edited by Starsinn; 2011-12-18 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Starsinn View Post
    Yes, yes. Thats what i mean. But having windows on its own partition would be easiest so that i can just format <c:thisismywindowsdrive>

This way i would not need to format the whole mechanical hard drive and have to reinstall WoW, Swtor, itunes etc. Correct?
    Sometimes you need space for stuff though, so dont go for the bare minimum, get something like 50 to 100GB. And make sure you install iTunes on your other partition.

so this is what i'm gathering, you have yoru current hard drive that you need to install windows and games onto, but your adding a new ssd where you want to add yoru windows...and games? Do you intend to place all your games on the new ssd? or are you planning on having 2 hard drives on yoru computer?

If i got this right what you can do is create a partition of about 50gb, we'll call it c drive, and name the other partion t drive. install windows on c drive and everything else on t drive. when it comes time for the ssd you just have to reformat the c drive and merge it with the t drive and install windows in whatever you name the ssd? however all the games are goign to be on t drive. you cna't copy and paste the games from one hd to another if that's what your asking(given that you didn't rename it)....i'm tired so sorry if that was confusing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladria View Post
    so this is what i'm gathering, you have yoru current hard drive that you need to install windows and games onto, but your adding a new ssd where you want to add yoru windows...and games? Do you intend to place all your games on the new ssd? or are you planning on having 2 hard drives on yoru computer?

If i got this right what you can do is create a partition of about 50gb, we'll call it c drive, and name the other partion t drive. install windows on c drive and everything else on t drive. when it comes time for the ssd you just have to reformat the c drive and merge it with the t drive and install windows in whatever you name the ssd? however all the games are goign to be on t drive. you cna't copy and paste the games from one hd to another if that's what your asking(given that you didn't rename it)....i'm tired so sorry if that was confusing.
    Thats my plan. Windows on ssd. Everything else on hdd.

Thats my plan. Windows on ssd. Everything else on hdd.
    You're still going to need to install most programs though because they typically will put things in the registry or the Windows directory itself when they're installed. When you reinstall Windows those files will no longer be there. WoW of course is the exception to that...it's self-contained in it's own folder.