Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Except that centuries ago they didnt have telecommunications, internet, long term storage and other such methods. Just word of mouth and writings from poorly translated tongues.
    random "internet" forum, 2000 years from now

"except that centuries ago they didn't have telepathy, intergalactical information network, long term storage and other such methods. Just word of mouth and writings from poorly translated languages nobody understands now"

....lol - scientology 2.0 xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Slight difference though.

All the other religious leaders/prophets have claimed to be the voice of God, or to show the way for another way of life.

George Lucas has always stated Star Wars is just a work of fiction drawing inspiration of other ethos and belief systems. So that kind of deflates that argument a bit...
    So when George Lucas decides tomorrow "I was just kidding. Actually I am the materialized voice of The Force and Jediism IS a religion." then it would be?

Somehow this makes all the other "real" religions look even more stupid.

Deleted
    I fail to see any difference between one story we perceive as fiction and another that hasn't been confirmed as non-fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    I fail to see any difference between one story we perceive as fiction and another that hasn't been confirmed as non-fiction.
    One has yet to be proven false.

The other is a movie.

This is stupid.

Didn't this happen in Australia like 10 years ago?
    Not that interesting tbh. It has been happening all over the world. I don't know why they are reporting it now.

Quote Originally Posted by An_Unoriginal_Name View Post
    I bet George Lucas is face-palming pretty hard after finding out about this
    Lmao. Well you are free to follow whatever guidelines you please in life.. however I highly doubt anyone treats this seriously as a religion and most of them were probably just fucking with the staticians by putting bullshit answers like reve was saying.

Just fyi, if I had the option of jedi knight (I am not religious at all) on a statistics paper I would most certainly choose it because it's funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    Do the sith even have a dogma like jedi do? I thought part of the difference between the two was that sith have no structure, but rather use the dark side out of self interest.
    There actually is a sith code. It pretty much just goes on about how power is everything but it is a mantra of sorts.
    I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Someone already posted it

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortera View Post

The other is a movie.

This is stupid.
    But how do you know that it isnt based on a true story

Quote Originally Posted by Fortera View Post

The other is a movie.

This is stupid.
    Wrong. Jediism is not a movie. It is a religion that is built upon the ideas of a group of people within a movie. It is a way of life. People who seriously consider themselves to be a "Jedi Knight" do not believe that they can manipulate the force or that they are destined to defend the galaxy. Rather they choose to adhere to a set of moral guidelines.

There is no emotion, there is peace.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no passion, there is serenity.
    There is no chaos, there is harmony.
    There is no death, there is the Force.

I'll admit I don't know much about religion, but I think Jediism can most closely be related to Buddhism. There is no deity, but instead the people practice a variety of traditions and beliefs. To be honest I don't understand how this is any less of a religion than anything else. (From what I see people are saying it was meant as a joke in the Czech Republic, but I am talking about people who actually practice it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Obviously discussion of the topic has been exhausted, and now people are just talking about religion, despite multiple warnings not to. Closing.