Thread: Undercutters

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Constantino View Post
    Im sure you always list your own auctions at a reasonably higher price than much of the market? you would never undercut anyone else I am certain...
    Fairly sure you didnt even read the thread, just the title. Nowhere do I complain about being undercut, I was just looking for ways to help combat it.

---------- Post added 2011-12-19 at 02:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chipsky View Post
    I'm a trickler and have sold the buy/reseller's more than they can handle. You'll end up with a crap-ton of overpriced inventory long before I run out of supply. Be careful.
    Yea this is my exact concern, end up getting stuck with 50-100 gems that I potentially lose gold on just to slow him down.

---------- Post added 2011-12-19 at 02:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    I am one of those who sometimes undercut like that, when I do that is because I want to drive the price down to remove some competitors. If I use that method, most of the time it is because I have a large quantity to sell, if you buy out my 210g gem, I will cut another one for 210, and cut another one, I probably have about 25-30 uncut gem in my bag, and I would quite happy to see how many would you buy before you stop buying, and I will list them 1 at a time, and I will sit at the auctioneer, whenever I see the gem sold, cut another one, list for 210g again, and stand there and wait for the message of gem sold.

It is fun sometimes, even more fun when the person who bought like 5-6 gems start whispering you.
    Heh I would never whisper my competitors. If he is selling cheap just to unload a lot quickly then thats his right, so no point in saying anything to him. If hes doing it to annoy his competitors then me whispering him would show him hes winning. Neither scenario is one I want to get into.

Quote Originally Posted by epicsnakehips View Post
    Undercutting by 1 gold as you mentioned is really a cowards way to use the AH. You should be confident in your price, being the absolute cheapest is not always the way to think. Keeping inferno as your example, undercutting by 1 gold to become the cheapest is a short sighted thought process as if there are 2 more slightly more expensive than yours, you are going to sell at being 3rd highest, I am sure your realm is not that population deprived of JC's that 2 JC's are not going to come along and buy the 2 cheapest options leaving yours next in line for a better profit than your initial knee jerk reaction of undercutting by 1g.

If you are going to undercut, have a reason to do so and make it a real undercut to scare the guy off. Undercutting is a sign of aggression so do it properly, scare him and/or buy the cheaper posts first.
    Here is a perfect example of the "herp derp"

Do you understand the role of the goblin at all?
    It is to make as much gold as you can, by any means that is moral to that person and within the ToS.

You want to explain to me how undercutting by large margins, say 10g+ is anything short of idiotic? Your inability to understand a goblin tells me that you do not think like one and therefore you do not initially care. If I have 100 inferno ruby and undercut a person by 10g at min, that is a potential 1k wasted...by your short-sightedness of "you don't have the balls to undercut me further" how bout I say this then: If you do not undercut each person by 1 copper each and every time you post an auction, you are short sighted because you are robbing yourself of gold that you could be spending on something else.

When the average person goes to buy something on the AH they want the cheapest price possible. How many people do you think are still running default AH UI, for the most part they see 8 items at a time, do you have any idea how someone can manipulate this(I dont think you do)? Even if we take an example of a addon such as auctionator, its default is to find the cheapest item for a user to buy; it doesnt care how much someone was undercut.

And now this person has undercut the market in all 3 big red cuts plus all the enchanting mats, taking the gems from 250 each to 180 each, they actually hit 150 for a while last night. Plus theyre listing them in quantities of 10 or more each, so Im fairly sure they have a massive supply.

Ore is still 90+ gold so I have no idea how theyre making any money by going so low.
    Last edited by Profish13; 2011-12-20 at 06:28 PM.

Hes Probably a pre patch stockpiler to be making gold at those prices. And a decent one to still be in supply this far in.
    At 150 i'd buy up a few of those. Those are midweek prices. Resell em on the weekend.
    If you don't have the supply to kill off competition then best to wait it out, or at the very minimum make sure you add him as a friend and post as soon as he logs off (if he does)

Quote Originally Posted by horigoblin View Post
    Hes Probably a pre patch stockpiler to be making gold at those prices. And a decent one to still be in supply this far in.
    At 150 i'd buy up a few of those. Those are midweek prices. Resell em on the weekend.
    If you don't have the supply to kill off competition then best to wait it out, or at the very minimum make sure you add him as a friend and post as soon as he logs off (if he does)
    Thats a good point about him stockpiling before the patch, Im pretty new to shuffling so I didnt even think of that. I cant imagine how much he has because according to undermine journal, hes posted over 750 red gems alone in the past 4 days.

If he has that kind of supply, the only way I can compete is to buy ore when its no more than 60-65g, so Ill be able to go as low as him. If ore becomes more than that, then I lose gold and he has effectively run me out of the shuffling for a while.

In a few instances in which I have an individual who's fervently undercutting me, I've been successful in catching them when they're online and baiting them into listing the item for an obscenely low amount so that I can buy it out and relist it for my price. Sometimes this means I get rid of the competition AND turn a greater profit. But I've only been successful a handful of times as obviously competition that sells an item regularly will just continue to undercut you with new stock.

Also as has been said, you can't do much about pre-patch stockpilers. They're going to be a bother until they've unloaded their supply. If they're undercutting this dramatically, might not be a bad idea to buy out some of their stock and sit on it until they've exhausted their supply, then turn a profit on it later.
    Last edited by kombucha; 2011-12-21 at 06:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament
    You would think that after all these years people would have realized that the people at Blizzard aren't sorcerors and are hindered by technology just like the rest of us mortals.
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcall
    I will never understand why so many people who quit can't just QUIT and move on, and instead feel the need to come tell everyone about it, as if they just won the $100 million jackpot.

Been gone from WoW for a while. Came back on a 7 day pass and messed with the auction house a tad bit under cutting everyone making a couple hundred k. Thanks for setting the prices so damn high when I came back! Mad profits!

Deleted
    I dont mind when someone undercutet me by 1 copper or something, but what really pisses me off when someone put stack of gems 50g cheaper or something. I am not sure what that person is thinking, but I'll just keep undercutting him until he doesnt make profit. I wouldnt do that if he put it on for reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaH View Post
    I dont mind when someone undercutet me by 1 copper or something, but what really pisses me off when someone put stack of gems 50g cheaper or something. I am not sure what that person is thinking, but I'll just keep undercutting him until he doesnt make profit. I wouldnt do that if he put it on for reasonable price.
    Really? I'm the opposite; undercutting for 1c just seems like a dick move.
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament
    You would think that after all these years people would have realized that the people at Blizzard aren't sorcerors and are hindered by technology just like the rest of us mortals.
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcall
    I will never understand why so many people who quit can't just QUIT and move on, and instead feel the need to come tell everyone about it, as if they just won the $100 million jackpot.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind undercutters. Stuff sells that fast on my realm that it wont matter if I put my stuff on half of the price ( like the foolish undercutters do) or put it on a normal price. It will get sold and while they sell their stuff faster, the profit they make is minimal while I run around with big cash in my pockets.

I always leave my auctions up. I don't take them down because someone undercuts me. In fact, I don't even check to see if anyone undercut me.

In most cases, theirs end up selling, then mine end up selling. Sure, I have to wait an extra day but I make more gold and it's not like I need the money urgently.

I just don't see the point of taking my auctions down to re-list. Who cares if they sell first? I always list items for the amount of gold I want to sell them for, and leave them there for the full time. If they don't sell, I try again. Usually, by the third listing, most things (unless it's something that people don't usually want) sell. And I paid the re-listing fee twice, which is probably less than people who re-list constantly and competitively. Undercuts delay my sales, but what do I care if somebody else wants to make less gold?

Usually when I go to the AH with my loots, I let auctioneer do the undercutting figures for me. Unless I don't like the price, then I'll make my own. If none are up, I will sell things for quite a bit higher than market. Sometimes it fails, but often enough it ends up being profitable, especially on high demand items.

I like to minimize my time at the auction house (while still profiting decently) so I can go do fun things. If I wanted to invest significant time into something like this, I'd use a real life auction house (ebay) so the profits are actually more valuable than my time.
    Last edited by Seegtease; 2011-12-22 at 05:46 PM.

In the case of the OP, If I was trying to undercut someone selling an inferno ruby for 250g, I'd probably sell it for 200g and just leave it there. There are enough AH bots being used that one of them will buy it and put it back in the AH for around 300g.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    People do this all the time. For farmed mats, they don't care- profit is profit, even if it's half of what they could normally get. You have a few choices, all listed here. Buyout and resell- he won't care- he still wins. Wait, and list when they don't seem to be listing. Or try to sell in trade chat (not likely) or through other means. Gems aren't that profitable overall- but nothing is as long as there is competition. Watch and wait. That's all you can do.
    [IMG][/IMG]