Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

This game is much better than WoW

Speaking from the perspective of a married adult with children but who enjoys mature games with real depth, I am glad to see Bioware has really done its magic in SWTOR. In fact, I would say SWTOR is their return to the best form they've been in years.

Some of the good things about this game:

- The amazing questing experience blows games like WoW, LOTRO, etc completely out of the water. It makes your character feel more immersive and more fun when you can choose how to act, at extreme an evil lunatic or an angelic do-gooder. The choices open up different quest options too so it is not just cosmetic, it actually changes the game itself, both in the storyline and in the quest paths you then take. For a MMO, this is simply AMAZING.

- The game is genuinely VERY dark and sinister. If you choose to do horrible things, it is not like WoW which is sanitised and boring. Truly horrible things do happen and you feel it. That makes the plotline matter, and it makes your character matter more to you. Sometimes I've done things to gain dark side points and I feel like maybe it was just "too much" and that I shouldn't have taken the darkness that far. That is truly a new thing in a MMO, morality you can feel.

- The classes feel very unique and even different specs play differently. I love playing with other classes and my family are all playing different specs. We talk about the things we like and don't like about each class and spec. The differences in how each class works and the details of how they manage resources, cooldowns and abilities is remarkable, and already much better than how the classes feel in WoW.

- While not perfect, PVP balance is much better than any other MMOs including WoW. There are no frost mages or resto shamans and ridiculous CC chains and unplayable rubbish. Sages/sorcerors get decimated by sniper agents and bounty hunters, warriors kill agents with ease but die to sages, and as for bounty hunters they are versatile against everyone but run dry on resources quickly. Each class gets to function quite well and despite the much lower CC than in WoW, positional tactics and the longer duration of fights makes the PVP very flowing and simply a lot more FUN than WoW.

- The dungeons are great with good mechanics and especially with nice storylines so it actually feels like you are doing something epic and interesting. And you can do them differently each time which makes it even more varied.

The bad things:

- The game is too popular and the queues are outrageous. Clearly no one expected this many people to be playing, and the game hasn't even officially launched yet. You can spend hours in queue so advice is: ROLL ON A LIGHT SERVER, it will fill up fast, otherwise prepare to scream at your computer when you see the 2+ hour queue you have to wait.

- There are still bugs in places. I have found a few on the way to level 20 where I am now. They don't break the game but in WoW there are nearly no bugs at all, so you notice them here.

- The animations don't feel right somehow with the hotkey presses, some abilities are not as instant or they should be and sometimes when you spam buttons, the casts merge into other casts. They still fire off, but it feels wrong somehow.

Well that's it from me, just my thoughts while I wait in a queue. 15 minute queue so not too bad.

Back to playing

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds good. I'm gonna give it a try soon. Although from what I've seen so far, I won't like it better than WoW even though I have more with Star Wars than Warcraft.

I'll try the game out if the end game raids are moderately challenging, story/graphics/atmosphere are all pretty key for me but my #1 concern is end game raiding.

10+ Year Old Account
    The game isn't "too popular" they simply released a minimum of servers with a minimum level of support in order to maximize the hype of the game. The fact that they kept such public numbers on their beta is proof of this. Ample opportunity to buff up their servers, they just didn't want to.

As for the rest, all a matter of opinion. You can like something a lot more than another person. For many people it is simply something new to play other than WoW. Same attitude that people had when Aion, Rift, DCU and Age of Conan popped up.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

10+ Year Old Account
    Given the state of the 4.5 out of 5 star review that another poster did I forsee bad things for this thread. I`m glad you liked the game op, its alot of fun regardless of what others may say on the matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    - The dungeons are great with good mechanics and especially with nice storylines so it actually feels like you are doing something epic and interesting. And you can do them differently each time which makes it even more varied.
    Alright, I am sorry, I didn't want to say your wrong about anything in particular (because I am more than happy to see some competition for games I play) but this is stupendously wrong. You can do dungeons in WoW in an infinite number of ways, the people you play with direct how you do them. It is the same in Star Wars.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

touching on what you said about combat, i played the game for a bit and it didnt feel right to me also. Dont know what it is about it, cant put my finger on it but the combat feels slow even when its not?

I like what you did in bad points by saying "no one expected this many people playing" :P /Clap lol

It's a good game but the combat issue with ability's is so big of an issue for me i wont be playing it again unless its sorted.

TBH if you paid for the game and have friends who play it i dont think you would give it a bad review. So nearly all these topics are just invalid and opinions.

Deleted
    You can spend hours in queue so advice is: ROLL ON A LIGHT SERVER, it will fill up fast, otherwise prepare to scream at your computer when you see the 2+ hour queue you have to wait.
    Sadly my server WAS light when I rolled on it. Now it's the fullest PVE EU server so I'm looking at 2hour+ queues.....

Here's my take on it:

The questing, sure, it will be great, it's BioWare. BioWare's known for great stories. But in an MMO, after my first character, I don't really care about the quests, I just want to get to level cap ASAP. Sure, I can skip the dialogue, but I'll still have to make decisions. This gets to become tedious. And not everyone WANTS a dark and sinister story out of their MMO. One of the reasons WoW has been so popular for so long is the amount of lighthearted fun their is if you pay attention. But sure, plenty will be attracted to the dark and sinister story of TOR.

What you described for it's PvP sounds an awful lot like rock, paper, scissors. That's not any better than being unbalanced. Knowing that no matter what, someone of equal gear and skill of a certain class will always defeat you is not fun. Knowing that no matter what, someone else of equal gear and skill of a different class is an easy win for you is not fun either.

Admittedly, I had not gotten to experience any dungeons in my playtime through the past two betas, so I have no opinion on it.

I personally felt the class system to be incredibly stale. I rolled a Consular to play a mage-like class, yet I was forced to play a very monotonous melee class for the first ten levels. At the end of the day, the game only has 4 classes. The only time an advanced class felt different enough to call them completely different classes were the Shadow/Assassin and Sage/Sorcerer. All the other Advanced classes still feel largely similar regardless of which one you choose for the other classes. Not to mention the sith and republic classes try to trick the unobservant into thinking they're different classes to begin with. Also, the Trooper/Bounty Hunter and the Smuggler/Agent, maybe it's just me, but they felt incredibly clunky.

At the end of the day, your post and mine are purely opinion pieces. I could write out a post why I think Age of Conan is one of the best MMORPGs on the market, but in the end, people with either like it or they won't.

Deleted
    This game is even more about pushing buttons to death. Seriosly. And I wonder who is gonna play healers, they are so boring.

Questing ? Ehm, grind, kill em coz they are bad, put a camera, get some item. Nothing special, did not find anythnig epic about it. The quest system will become/aready is boring and no1 will care about it, just get through it, maybe get some "jedi points" and cya.

Also I have not seen a boss there that differs from any of WoW ones. I know it is hard to creat something new but they surely got an eye on WoW.
    I must admit that i really got into the story of the game, but all of sudden you are the main kick-ass master on lvl 1 and every1 is greatful for help, cmon...
    Although I wish this game good luck, hope it will flow and maybe become the new elite game (which i highly doubt, they will earn even more money from casuals).
    Last edited by mmocb3b641b05e; 2011-12-18 at 09:23 PM.

Come on, is this thread necessary?

This is opinionated.

I play both, and I like TOR i really do....

but, they seem like almost different game types, TOR feels like a single player game thats just on CO-OP mode, and a good one at that (I mean no offense by that statment) Like KoTOR 3.

I like both, and I will play both.

This thread is unecessary, as it will cause a flame war, that the OP seems to want, due to a title that is gripping enough to start a flame war and serves no purpose of discussion, its a good game.

- The animations don't feel right somehow with the hotkey presses, some abilities are not as instant or they should be and sometimes when you spam buttons, the casts merge into other casts. They still fire off, but it feels wrong somehow.

Yeah this part is clearly seen in livecasts... that's pretty much the largest bug(?) that makes me wanna stay in wow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 9Royalwolf6 View Post
    you are the main kick-ass master on lvl 1 and every1 is greatful for help, cmon...
    Play an inquisitor. You start as a slave and people give you shit all the time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    The game isn't "too popular" they simply released a minimum of servers with a minimum level of support in order to maximize the hype of the game. The fact that they kept such public numbers on their beta is proof of this. Ample opportunity to buff up their servers, they just didn't want to.

As for the rest, all a matter of opinion. You can like something a lot more than another person. For many people it is simply something new to play other than WoW. Same attitude that people had when Aion, Rift, DCU and Age of Conan popped up.
    minimun servers??? I think there is like 30-40+ servers with 30+ full or very heavy population

15+ Year Old Account
    I found the game filled with over-cliche'd features and full of annoying things the developers could of have avoided during the making.

1) The roleplaying scenes get tedious after a while and almost pointless in certain quests.

2) The zones are incredibly tiny and very limited to where you can and cannot go. Tatooine for example, if you ride a little ways into the desert you'll be told you cannot go any further. Come on!! What the hell? Seriously. There's really no exploring or traveling in this game, no sense of immersion via the size of areas or anything. Total turn off.

3) Very annoying forced-grinding quests. When I was questing on Coruscant, I remember this one quest told me to pick up an item at a certain spot on the map. What I came to find out was that there's only one way to get there, and that is to kill 30 mobs along the way, with no way of avoiding them. Then once you get to the quest item, you have to fight the same 30 mobs over again to escape out. And that's just one quest, every other quest is like this. This is really piss poor quest designing, and it doesn't belong in today's MMO's.

SWtoR doesn't live up to the hype. It's another Rift; very popular and people piss their pants saying how awesomesauce it is. Couple months later their back to playing WoW or whatever. Bottom line: It's a crappy MMO, there's not much else to it.
    Last edited by Ibbi; 2011-12-18 at 09:42 PM.
    DISCLAIMER: Reader discretion advised. The above post is entirely fictional and purely for entertainment purposes only. Any similarities to real life events, animals, humans, persons, politicians, or any other form of entity, living, dead or in any other state of existence, is purely coincidental. The author cannot and will not be held accountable for such similarities or any other parallels that are imagined and/or drawn by you, the reader, between the above fictional work and real life events.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    Alright, I am sorry, I didn't want to say your wrong about anything in particular (because I am more than happy to see some competition for games I play) but this is stupendously wrong. You can do dungeons in WoW in an infinite number of ways, the people you play with direct how you do them. It is the same in Star Wars.
    In what way? The majority of them are linear with at best a decision do we go around and kill the bosses in a clockwise fashion or counter clockwise fashion. A few of the TOR instances thus far actually have entirely different paths and as a result different boss fights whether or not whoever wins the decision roll picked the dark side or light side option. Do you blow up the facility potentially killing tons of innocents but with a better chance at success or do you take a riskier option that spares the innocent? Instance takes a completely different path to the end. That is not the same as in WoW where the only choices I have are pissing everyone off and killing lynx then bear then dragonhawk then eagle boss as opposed to the usual eagle>bear>dragon>lynx doesn't vary or change the instance at all or getting a random assortment selection from 6 bosses with the last boss being the same.

Also for those of you annoyed about full servers this is intentional. They initially put low server caps on the server to help force people to spread out a bit more because if you've played any MMO there's a pretty popular tendency for people to flood onto a few high pop servers and leave others lacking. I'm not saying it'll be instantly better after live for all of us but I'm not too bothered by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibbi View Post
    I found the game filled with over-cliche'd features and full of annoying things the developers could of have avoided during the making.

1) The roleplaying scenes get tedious after a while and almost pointless in certain quests.

2) The zones are incredibly tiny and very limited to where you can and cannot go. Tatooine for example, if you ride a little ways into the desert you'll be told you cannot go any further. Come on!! What the hell? Seriously. There's really no exploring or traveling in this game, no sense of immersion via the size of areas or anything. Total turn off.

3) Very annoying forced-grinding quests. When I was questing on Coruscant, I remember this one quest told me to pick up an item at a certain spot on the map. What I came to find out was that there's only one way to get there, and that is to kill 30 mobs along the way, with no way of avoiding them. Then once you get to the quest item, you have to fight the same 30 mobs over again to escape out. And that's just one quest, every other quest is like this. This is really piss poor quest designing, and it doesn't belong in today's MMO's.

SWtoR doesn't live up to the hype. It's another Rift. Very popular and people piss their pants saying how awesomesauce it is, and a couple months later their back to playing WoW or whatever.
    1. Hit spacebar. My current main is an inquisitor which I level'd multiple times during the beta, I've seen the main and the planet quests quite a few times now. Hit spacebar, 1-3, rinse repeat and you've at most added 5 seconds to WoW's question acquisition process.

2.) You're kidding right? Tatooine is huge and that planet alone is larger in size than multiple WoW zones. The only difference is it doesn't jam an obnoxious purple glowy finger in your eye shouting look at me look at me like Twilight Highlands. You are aware that even now in this wonderful age of flying there are barriers and long long ago there actually were physical limits to when and where you could explore in Azeroth right? Have you even tried hunting for datacrons without using a guide to cheat? When you total up the explorable area in ToR across all the planets it's a much much larger area than all of WoW.

3.) I play a stealth class so I'm sneaking past mobs all the time so at the moment this hasn't been much of an issue for me. This type of situation happened to me all the time in WoW before flying mounts and the days of BoA gear allowing any lowbie to be almost god like in comparison to all mobs who dare oppose him and my powertech BH found an easy way around that problem: clear faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Heartnet View Post
    The fact there are 2 hour long queues for servers, which presumably will be all of them after launch is completely unacceptable. Having to wait to play a game is broken, I won't be playing it until new servers launch. It may sound entitled and spoiled, but these days it's not acceptable at all.
    Mal'ganis for both cata and wrath had 4,000+person queues for quite some time(I'm talking like 1pm pst queues this large) after launch and I've intermittently had to deal with 1k+ people queues after a lot of patches for a few weeks. I think for the better part of wrath naxx there was a typical 40minute or so queue, sometimes shorter or longer, queue on mal'ganis which cause quite a few problems for our raid group. Hell I remember a period during TBC where Mal'ganis even if you were logged in was essentially unplayable during peak hours for a few months not because of queues but because the server it self just had this crippling lag.

It does sound entitled, spoiled, and while you're unwadding those panties you can read the multiple dev posts or just figure the obvious that yes they'll be adding more servers.
    Last edited by shimerra; 2011-12-18 at 09:58 PM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

10+ Year Old Account
    only your opinion... My opinion is that WOW IS BETTER! end of

Deleted
    I hope SWTOR will be a real competitor to WoW

Deleted
    The fact there are 2 hour long queues for servers, which presumably will be all of them after launch is completely unacceptable. Having to wait to play a game is broken, I won't be playing it until new servers launch. It may sound entitled and spoiled, but these days it's not acceptable at all.

Speaking from the perspective of a married adult with children but who enjoys mature games with real depth
    running around with light sabres is definitely 'mature' *sage nod*

Every thing is subjective. It is not the game for me but I am happy it is for you.