Page 1 of 2
LastLast

System too weak?

This is what I'm working with:

AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz
    8gig DDR3 1333
    AMD Radeon HD 6670 1GB

Is there a reason why I'm getting literally 1-2 FPS in game with eveything turned down/off? Drivers are updated, machine is new. Actually, here is a link to the machine:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883229285

Thanks!

15+ Year Old Account
    The video card is the weakest link there. Although on lowest settings it should get ~40 FPS.

Have anything running in the background? System clean?

Quote Originally Posted by shewkoi View Post
    The video card is the weakest link there. Although on lowest settings it should get ~40 FPS.

Have anything running in the background? System clean?
    My thoughts as well. My buddy bought that computer for swtor, and is having some serious issues. I'm trying to help via phone and whatnot, but I honestly think there is something else going on. And yes, the GPU is weak link. Could get much better for a little more money for sure.

15+ Year Old Account
    Dont listen to the previous person.. its not ur graphics card which are causing this.. its ur CPU.. go back to reseller and throw it in his face.. they shouldnt even be allowed to sell that to anyone because "Bulldozer" is the biggest fiasko in the computer world ever.. and the one you have is the cheapest one go get a amd x6 1090t for 180-200 dollars.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_look...4100+Quad-Core

here's a benchmark and its far behind Phenom II processors which were AMD's last series and you know what? barely no
    gamedevelopers optimizes for bulldozer since its a pain doing it.. its just a shitty architechture which doesnt work in reality

AMD 6670 isnt the strongest card in the world but if the fps drops is the same on low and highest settings its always a cpu fault.
    Last edited by Uvania; 2011-12-17 at 04:58 PM.

deleted 10 char
    Last edited by Ralidyn; 2011-12-17 at 05:18 PM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uvania View Post
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_look...4100+Quad-Core

here's a benchmark and its far behind Phenom II processors which were AMD's last series and you know what? barely no
    gamedevelopers optimizes for bulldozer since its a pain doing it.. its just a shitty architechture which doesnt work in reality

AMD 6670 isnt the strongest card in the world but if the fps drops is the same on low and highest settings its always a cpu fault.
    Indeed Uvania hit the nail on the head. Bulldozer is a terrible chip and should never have been manufactured. Expect to keep encountering issues until your friend returns the PC or exchanges it for something else.

Alrighty then. I will pass the information along to him. Phenom II x4 or x6?

15+ Year Old Account
    x6 for mmo's its cpu intensive.. or a SB i5 2500k

Deleted
    Make sure to disable Shadows, it gives a massive FPS boost.

Deleted
    First and foremost: what resolution are you running? Your card should be able to handle the game, but it won't be able to play the game in high-res. Also don't listen to the guy who says it's the CPU. However crappy it might be, it's still WAAAAAAAAAAY above the minimum requirements.

Deleted
    Check this out, it worked for me!

Im not allowed to post any links it seems..
    Look for a thread called "For those with ATI cards READ!"
    its in this forum somewhere
    your card is more then fine.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uvania View Post
    x6 for mmo's its cpu intensive.. or a SB i5 2500k
    Except MMO's, to date, have not been designed to utilize more than 4 cpu cores. In turn causing the back end two cores to be a waste from a gaming stand point.

Realistically you could go with an AMD Phenom II X4 965 and see the same performance as if you have the AMD Phenom II X6 1060T. Save some money and go with the Phenom II X4 965.

15+ Year Old Account
    That fx 4100 benches higher than my phenom x4 955, in most/all tests I've seen.

I have a 6870 and get 70+ FPS with everything maxed and x4 AA on in catalyst.

Pretty sure dumping that $79 video card will fix the problem. I haven't seen anything online that says that bulldozer is 'garbage'. Sure, it's no i7 and barely on par with i5, but you guys make it sound like it's down with core2duo or something.

That fx 4100 benches higher than my phenom x4 955, in most/all tests I've seen.

I have a 6870 and get 70+ FPS with everything maxed and x4 AA on in catalyst.

Pretty sure dumping that $79 video card will fix the problem. I haven't seen anything online that says that bulldozer is 'garbage'. Sure, it's no i7 and barely on par with i5, but you guys make it sound like it's down with core2duo or something.
    I honestly don't know what to tell him. I'm sure bioware will make some improvements soon.

Edit: he mentioned something about not being able to turn on catalyst. I'm not familiar at all with AMD/ATI. Would that make a difference? Im sure I willbe able to solve the issue once I'm over at his place looking at it.
    Last edited by Ralidyn; 2011-12-17 at 11:14 PM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralidyn View Post
    I honestly don't know what to tell him. I'm sure bioware will make some improvements soon.

Edit: he mentioned something about not being able to turn on catalyst. I'm not familiar at all with AMD/ATI. Would that make a difference? Im sure I willbe able to solve the issue once I'm over at his place looking at it.
    If catalyst control center is not turning on it is quite possible is video card driver software is corrupted and needs to be installed. Which could be the root cause of everything.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    If catalyst control center is not turning on it is quite possible is video card driver software is corrupted and needs to be installed. Which could be the root cause of everything.
    Or, I wonder if the correct drivers are even installed. Maybe it's running off some old generic driver.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Or, I wonder if the correct drivers are even installed. Maybe it's running off some old generic driver.
    If CCC isn't starting up its quite possible the computer is only using the Windows driver. Once again could be the root of all the issues.

Sounds good. I will plan on doing some work on it. It might not be a bad idea to purchase a new card for it either. A GTX 560ti or 6950 wouldn't be too bad. If you could get a gpu for under 300 what would you get?

I personally have GTX 570 superclock and love it! I also have a few friends with a GTX 560ti and they love those cards too. I'm not a "fanboi" but i do like all the EVGA cards I've had. However if there is something that might work better with his build please share your opinions.

15+ Year Old Account
    with $300 as the limit, I would go with the 6950. i'm a little hazy, but i think that's the card that can be flashed to a 6970, unless they changed it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your computer should be able to run the game just fine....there is some other problem. Make sure you have no viruses, no laggy antivirus running in background, lower the resolution, turn gfx settings down, shadows and vert sync off.

Game could run on a 2.5 ghz proc, 4 gigs ram, and 1 gb gfx ram....you have better then that so you prob just need to tweak your graphic settings or missing some updated drivers or direct x or something.