I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

Jedi = Weak?...or L2P issues?

Either I am having some L2P issues or Consulars are really weak. I am rolling tank spec and have Force Valor and Combat Technique up at all times and have been sticking with a priority system like:

Kinetic Ward > Force Breach > Project > Double Strike...with Force Wave and Force Stun thrown in where I can.

I'm in Nar Shaddaa doing the spice drug quests and most fights are leaving me with <60% health. Using my healing droid helps with this most of the time, but if he gets caught up doing melee on a mob I get squat for heals and things get bad. If I use my tanking droid mobs die faster, but I have to heal after each pull of mobs no matter what. I've been upgrading my gear as I go and have instance gear from the ones available to me so far.

I didn't think anything of it till a couple of troopers come in an faceroll the entire area. A few sticky bombs here, a lot of electroshock AoE thingy there (not sure what it is called) and they clear the area in about one or two minutes. Me =

Healing droid?
    which one is that?

Deleted
    i have the same feeling. only i play marauder and it feels too squishy. if i run into a strong(silver) mob and dont use any def. cds or pet , it will drop me to at or below 50%. oh and my companion hits harder then i am rofl. but it will improve in later levels trust me.

@strah
    i think he means the one who you acquire with your spaceship. could be wrong
    Last edited by mmoc13d2608a47; 2011-12-20 at 10:58 AM.

Sage felt just fine during beta, while Jedi Knight (both flavours) felt a bit underpowered. Maybe it's an issue of melee in general being a bit weaker as I didn't have too much trouble with the various ranged classes I tried. And yes trooper/bh at times feels like easy mode, especially when you play as a Duo and AOE the hell out of stuff ;-)

I'm playing a Jedi Sentinel with my droid as my companion as tank. What you need to do is remember to send the tank in first, then you go in. After fight dismiss droid and re-summon him to full health. Quick quick

Deleted
    I had the squishy problem on my Guardian but then I took an arrow to the knee...I mean I went Defense spec and things improved quite a bit.

C2-N2 droid you get with your ship, isn't very healing imo and he hits as a small wet noodle ^^
    as a tank you don't exactly deal out dmg too ....
    better choice would be qyzen, and go with 2 tanks so the dmg is distributed a bit, until you get you healing companion

Deleted
    I also felt squishy early on playing a Powertech tank but remember you have very little defensive stats early on so you're playing a dps with knocked down dps talents.

At 40 I bought the full pvp tank set (it looks awesome aswell) and have been upgrading it with defensive mods ever since and I can just about solo most elites now and can take on packs of 2 veterans with ease. If I was re doing 1-40 I would certainly do it in a dps spec just to burn things down (best tank talents for me where high up anyway) then switch at 40 when tank gear becomes readily available.

My Jedi Guardian feels a bit squishy sometimes. It can be a struggle, especially if I accidentally pull two groups at once. And yeah, I've noticed some of these troopers come in and take down entire groups in one go...

But honestly? I prefer the challenge. And levelling isn't meant to be balanced at all: take a look at WoW. There's always been classes that are more difficult to level with, and those which are lolfaceroll. So yeah, you may suffer a bit more challenge now, during levelling: but chances are high that the challenge will make you a better player at endgame.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strah View Post
    Healing droid?
    which one is that?
    C2-N2...comes with the ship you get. Suppose to heal you...but runs off most of the time doing melee and not healing. When he does heal...all is good and finish fights with 95+% health . If not, then you are ass'd out.

Quote Originally Posted by wkhalifa View Post
    i have the same feeling. only i play marauder and it feels too squishy. if i run into a strong(silver) mob and dont use any def. cds or pet , it will drop me to at or below 50%. oh and my companion hits harder then i am rofl. but it will improve in later levels trust me.
    I am running into the same thing...and I am glad to hear it gets better.

Quote Originally Posted by Arschmade View Post
    Don't use your Droid! He has no equipment, if you don't equip him. Your first companion is most likely the best for you.
    I equipped my droid with everything I could possibly find...either through quests or the AH in the hopes of just having him heal. The healing isn't a problem...the fact that he wants to run off and fight instead of healing is. If i put him on 'passive he stands there and does nothing (kind of wish passive made him so he JUST healed).

Quote Originally Posted by Azhreia View Post
    Sage felt just fine during beta, while Jedi Knight (both flavours) felt a bit underpowered. Maybe it's an issue of melee in general being a bit weaker as I didn't have too much trouble with the various ranged classes I tried. And yes trooper/bh at times feels like easy mode, especially when you play as a Duo and AOE the hell out of stuff ;-)
    Yeah, I've had zero issues on my trooper as well. My trooper is next on my leveling list.

Quote Originally Posted by -oz- View Post
    I'm playing a Jedi Sentinel with my droid as my companion as tank. What you need to do is remember to send the tank in first, then you go in. After fight dismiss droid and re-summon him to full health. Quick quick
    This play style is ideal and seems to get the best results in terms of survivability. Then again, it is the least amount of fun [for me]. It reminds me a lot of leveling a warrior in Rift as you pretty much had to send a pet in first on every fight or suffer a lot of damage.

I think I just expected more damage mitigation, even at the cost of dps, from a tanking tree after 10 levels in. The amount we do get early on is minimal.

You have to keep in mind that the Jedi Shadow/Sith Assassin is the least natural of all the tank specs.

By that I mean that, especially at lower levels, you have very little innate survivability. You don't get your tank stance until 14, and your bonus block ability until 20.

Deleted
    I found the marauder very squishy in beta up to level 19 and the same with my Merc on live until I got tracer missiles at 20. Since most classes get their first key ability ar 20, I recon you should play it out

I LOVE my Kinetic Combat Jedi Consular!!!

A couple of ideas to help:

1 - Do you have a Shield equipped, or a Focus? Shield would be best for defense, obviously.

2 - Is your equipment (mostly) upgraded?

3 - Are you in Combat stance or Shadow stance? Combat is preferred for defense, but Shadow will increase your dps.

My Consular is pretty much fully geared (except for Relics) and at level 25, I have over 6000 HP. She stands up to about anything.

Also, which companion are you using? Qyzen Fess will not help you a lot except for to tank (which you already are). When I'm using Qyzen, I typically jump into Shadow stance to up the DPS. Once I got Theran Cedrax, though, he will be my companion of choice going into Tattooine, as he's a ranged healer. Once I got him, questing in Nar Shaddaa got WAY easier, as he kept me above 90% pretty much at all times. But I love my Consular.

Also - I don't think the class feels underpowered, but I do think they had to balance it. As Star Wars geeks, we all obviously think that a lightsaber strike should mean instant death, and that's obviously not able to be the case in a game like this

Finally, the rotation/priority list I use:

Force Stun (only use once as I run in) -> Shadow Strike (only use once) -> Force Breach -> Telekinetic Throw -> Project -> Double Strike -> Saber Strike

Seems to do a good job. I am going to experiment with Force Slow tonight.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Infiltration is the way to level Shadow. I have no problems whatsoever. Other specs shouldn't be that hard, but they are not optimal for leveling, so there, I think it's l2p issue. You chose more demanding leveling way and happened to be not up to it. Either improve with help from others who level as a tank or switch to Infiltration.

I am playing a Sith Assassin, Darkness spec (so the Consular version of Kinetic Combat). I found myself really squishy at some points, but I found this was usually due to my healer, ie not having a good one, or having one at all. most of the peopel I have played with do not realise they can throw a good amount of off heals and still do a bit of DPS, so I eventually die due to not being kept up. I had one instance with a dedicated healer and I have to say it was so much fun, and I tanked really well.
    RETH

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    As a Jedi Guardian (tank speced), I always use a DPS companion.

15+ Year Old Account
    I thought Consular was a DPS/Healing class so why are you tanking? Maybe that is the problem. From what I've read there is no Class with all 3 roles. You are either DPS, DPS/Healer or DPS/Tank. No combination with both Tank and Healer exist. Guardian is the Jedi Tank and Juggernaut is the Sith Tank from what I got. I think there is some other class that can tank but not another version of Sith or Jedi.

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    I thought Consular was a DPS/Healing class so why are you tanking? Maybe that is the problem. From what I've read there is no Class with all 3 roles. You are either DPS, DPS/Healer or DPS/Tank. No combination with both Tank and Healer exist. Guardian is the Jedi Tank and Juggernaut is the Sith Tank from what I got. I think there is some other class that can tank but not another version of Sith or Jedi.
    Consular (like most of the 'main' classes) can be Heal, DPS, or Tank.

The Jedi Shadow AC is for tanking/dpsing. A lot of people think the Kinetic Combat Shadow is one of the best tanks in the game, and it is definitely the highest DPS output tank in the game. Even though Shadows wear light armor, we have lots of abilities that give MONSTER boosts to armor and essentially bring our defensive abilities up to par with Jedi Guardian.

The Jedi Sage AC is for healing/dpsing.

Both are Consular base class.
    Last edited by Leadsop; 2011-12-20 at 02:39 PM.

Consular/Inquisitor and Trooper/Bounty Hunter both cover all three of tanking/healing/dpsing in their ACs.