Heroic Modes - Disc or Holy?

Hi there, I'm a co-gm of a 10m guild which will start heroic DS progression after the new year. Our healing team is currently a Paladin, Priest and Shaman (Paladin/Priest for 2 heal fights). What I'm wondering is which spec will be best for which fights? Our priest much prefers disc, but has been playing holy on some fights.

I have been playing both specs so far when working on, all I can say is it would be best for them to switch between fights, for example disc works better for H Morchok than holy does, and holy seems to work better for fights like spine.

That said I'd suggest them to head more of the way in holy so you have a healing raid cool down. Either way they will be playing both specs most likely.

Disc is absolutely invaluable for heroic Yor'sahj. The Bubbles don't appear to add stacks during purple phase (I think you can't be using the glyph though). Also, I agree, disc can outperform holy on H morchok.

If he really wants to be a great healer, he should learn both and play them both. Holy is great on H Zon'ozz (but disc is also good) and H ultraxion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say holy as the paladin is mostly on tank healing duties (assuming here) but with the change to holy radiance coupled with the resto shaman's healing rain that may allow enough aoe healing to allow the priest to stay disc.
    TL;DR disc if the priest isn't on raid heal duty, holy if he/she is.

Quote Originally Posted by mikep4567 View Post
    Disc is absolutely invaluable for heroic Yor'sahj. The Bubbles don't appear to add stacks during purple phase (I think you can't be using the glyph though).
    They do add stacks, glyphed or unglyphed. It's just that Grid gets confused as fuck with both debuffs having the same name, so sometimes it shows the non-stack debuff as icon, instead of the stack debuff. Target the person and see for yourself.

As for me, I can't really speak for much because I'm in 25 and not 10, but so far:

Morchok: Disc
    Zon'ozz: Holy (other priest is disc)
    Yor'sahj: Disc
    Hagara: Holy
    Ultraxion: Disc
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, If he's already spec'd in both I'd just have him/her switch accordingly between fights.

As a 10 man guild, a healing priest MUST have both disc and holy for heroic progress. Unless you have another healing priest that you can swap in/out.

After a few pulls your priest should be able to decide which spec is more suitable for which fight.
    Last edited by casserole; 2011-12-21 at 10:19 AM.

Deleted
    I always 2man heal with a Paladin and do the 3 healing fights with a druid.

My specs on the fight are as the following:

Morchok: Disc
    Yor'Sahj: Disc (keep in mind shields do add a stack of the purple debuff, pom doesn't btw)
    Zon'Ozz: Disc (although with a shaman as third healer holy might be a better choice)
    Hagara: Disc
    Ultraxion: Holy (although disc works as well)

I didn't try the other 3 fights on heroic yet.
    With a druid-pally-priest setup I usually go disc because the paladin and druid can handle the aoe healing very well. On all AOE dmg phases where you can stack paladins really shine. I am usually keeping up the tanks with the paladin and let the druid take care of the aoe healing. I help him a lot and the paladin jumps in when we are stacked.

With a shaman holy might be better then disc on some fights because you are missing the druid AOE healing.

They both have their roles for sure. Having both in a raid group is pretty awesome right now imo.

Deleted
    I have yet to see a fight where I think holy would do better on heroic mode and i'm 5/8 hc atm. Mainly because of the vastly superior mana regen of disc in comparison with holy.

Deleted
    Disc does have better mana regen with the correct use of Rapture, but on Ultraxion the holy output with the red buff is slightly better then disc's output.

My personal opinion on spec for 10m heroics:

Morchok: Disc. Extra barrier comes in handy if you happen to fall behind on healing.
    Yor'sahj: Disc. There is always a color combo that your guild will struggle with. Barrier will ease that frustration, especially with purple debuffs out.
    Zon'ozz: Disc. As a 10m, you have a limited number of raid cds for the black phase. Barrier works wonders here.
    Hagara: Holy. Insane amount of damage in lightning phase. Improved DH is invaluable here. Also... bring a druid for tranq.
    Ultraxion: Holy. The soft enrage might as well be a hard enrage on this fight with 2 healers. The healing gets so intense in the end.
    *Blackhorn: Disc/Holy? Barrier seems nice for the big barrages, but DH also seems viable.
    *Spine: Holy. Healing absorption debuff is a beast. Serendipity is just too good to be true when paired with your mastery. Disc bubbles and mastery do not count towards the absorb. Barrier would be nice for when he rolls, but DH can probably take its place.
    *Madness: Disc/Holy? I can't even remember the changes for heroic. I feel that this one will be purely a matter of preference, though.

* = Haven't experienced the fight myself.

Ultraxion really depends on how many healers you take with you. Doing the math, whether you bring 2 or 3 healers, it requires the same amount of dps to kill him before soft or hard enrage. With 2 healers, you need to kill him before the soft enrage at 5 minutes. It's just too much for 2 healers to handle. With 3 healers, you need to kill him by the hard enrage at 6 minutes. Still intense to heal through that minute of pounding, but at least it's posisble.