Deleted

Rookie healer looking for explanation for some things.

Hey.

So I recently made 85 Priest and I was yesterday at LFR in disc spec.
    After Ultraxion one of other healers (druid) screamed that he done more overhealing than mine healing done.

No the things I want to know:
    - Do only hps count to consider myself as good healer?
    - As resto druid he can spam regrowth to do massive overhealing so what's the qq for?
    - Always wonder is overhealing is good or bad depends of boss encounter (e.g PoH spamming or direct heals like on Majordomo cat phase)

I think I am not bad healer. Not even imba-pro but decent. But as rookie in this role I am a bit confused that people blame me for things that aren't proper to whine for.

Hard to really compare HPS and healers on a fight with varying buffs such as Ultraxion.

tell him to qq moar.

Seriously though HPS is just one of many metrics for healing. It's more of a subjective thing on whether you're doing it right or wrong. Sometimes you do want to be overhealing because you're trying to keep the tank topped right before a big hit so you're spamming heals on him. your overheal can be 90% of your total heals for all I care as long as you both A) Keep people alive (overhealing a player with full health while another dies is a no no) and B) Don't run out of mana (if you are then try to cast a little smarter and convert some overheal into real heals)

And yes on ultraxion it's a different beast entirely depending on which buff each class picks.

P.S. If he's spamming regrowth he needs to L2P

He also may be using a meter that doesn't count absorbs in with HPS/healing done, and as a disc priest that will make your HPS/healing done look lower (though not as much now as it did in WotLK days).
    Last edited by Kokiron; 2011-12-21 at 02:26 PM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I hate it when healers think that meters matter. Yes they do to SOME degree, but it's not a race to see who can get the most numbers like it is for dps. As long as you're not going oom, and nobody died (besides not being able to heal thru stupid eg. LOLS didn't wait for tank to get aggro) who cares? Overhealing is usually a waste of mana, so i don't see why he is super proud of spamming is aoe heal button. Also, ultraxion? Yea, depends if you can grab the first buff, as the fight doesn't last long enough in lfr for the final buff to matter.

Just grab the first buff next time so you can complain about having to "carry" everyone else.

Lots of things can affect healing in a single raid encounter - but if his overhealing is greater than your actual healing, then it sounds like you're much worse at healing than he is. Maybe not as bad as it might look - if you had a ton of overhealing, he could have been healing people before you could get spells off, which only means he can react a split-second before you and there isn't that much damage to heal. If your overhealing is low and your actual healing is low, it seems like you may be a bit... underskilled and/or undergeared.

Which is fine! You just made 85. Read up on your spec to make sure you're using your most effective heals (particularly for large groups - I know that Shaman healing is very different in 5-mans and raids), learn and use your cooldowns (there's not much reason to before raiding, so you might not be used to using them effectively), get some practice in the 5-mans. Make sure you've got food and flasks for raids. Try some random Battlegrounds so you can get used to pressure situations and group healing. Don't let one nay-sayer get you down - with some more reps you'll be more than capable of holding your own.

10+ Year Old Account
    tell him to take his HPS and shove it up his A.S.S. your are DISC your healing is mainly absorbs which wont even show up on recount and if druid grabbed the 1st buff and you grabbed the 2nd yea he would have stronger heals but u will have better absorbs so just /ignore ppl in lfr

Dont pay him any mind anyway. The LFR tool has brought out the worst in people.

He must not have a meter that counts absorption as healing.

If he had more overhealing than your healing you should tell him to stop being bad and wasting mana.

15+ Year Old Account
    at the end of fight only thing that matters is that boss is dead,and your raid alive.hps,overhealing and all other things come later,not other way around.sure its good to look at overhealing,but to see what you can improve in mana management or what spell to use in certain situation.

LFR = 6 healers with 2-3 healers worth of incoming damage.

So HPS means dick anyway. It's won by whoever sniped the most heals. As a druid, his overhealing was probably more than his own actual healing...

Plus, items always go to the lowest performing person.

Did people die to unavoidable damage?

If yes, you need to be a better healer.

If no, then you're fine.

This is basically the only way I gauge a healer's worth. If we're all still alive, job well done. Especially in LFR where it really isn't worth it to start yelling at other people.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    1. Recount has the ability to count absorbs as heals. You have to check the box in settings.
    2. If everyone is alive, your doing fine.
    3. Overhealing is "over rated"... too much mana used blah blah blah... heal as a pally and you're guranteed to have overheals. GUARANTEED. If you have mana and rule #2 applies overheal all you want.
    4. If you want to check how good you are, run a 10 man pug on regular dragon soul... Or run some random heroics...then to see if you are good or not, see #2.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by absynthe7 View Post
    Lots of things can affect healing in a single raid encounter - but if his overhealing is greater than your actual healing, then it sounds like you're much worse at healing than he is. Maybe not as bad as it might look - if you had a ton of overhealing, he could have been healing people before you could get spells off, which only means he can react a split-second before you and there isn't that much damage to heal. If your overhealing is low and your actual healing is low, it seems like you may be a bit... underskilled and/or undergeared.

Which is fine! You just made 85. Read up on your spec to make sure you're using your most effective heals (particularly for large groups - I know that Shaman healing is very different in 5-mans and raids), learn and use your cooldowns (there's not much reason to before raiding, so you might not be used to using them effectively), get some practice in the 5-mans. Make sure you've got food and flasks for raids. Try some random Battlegrounds so you can get used to pressure situations and group healing. Don't let one nay-sayer get you down - with some more reps you'll be more than capable of holding your own.
    Thanks for support By the matter of gear I had 4p T11 this time just purchased 2p T12 and gonna check this out this lockout. He had 4p T12 so that's making huge difference imo

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    Did people die to unavoidable damage?

If yes, you need to be a better healer.

If no, then you're fine.

This is basically the only way I gauge a healer's worth. If we're all still alive, job well done. Especially in LFR where it really isn't worth it to start yelling at other people.
    People mostly dying due to the missuderstand the mechanics but if they're critical health Flashing to the death And no, I dont really care about opinion of "Destroyer's End" characters cause they thinking they're greatness players in actual group ;p

Quote Originally Posted by Vastius View Post
    1. Recount has the ability to count absorbs as heals. You have to check the box in settings.
    2. If everyone is alive, your doing fine.
    3. Overhealing is "over rated"... too much mana used blah blah blah... heal as a pally and you're guranteed to have overheals. GUARANTEED. If you have mana and rule #2 applies overheal all you want.
    4. If you want to check how good you are, run a 10 man pug on regular dragon soul... Or run some random heroics...then to see if you are good or not, see #2.
    Yup I am doing bunch of HoT randoms for some accesoriess and when people really knows what to do (avoiding puddles etc.) there is no option to wipe. If not there is always Leap of Faith

Deleted
    No the things I want to know:
    - Do only hps count to consider myself as good healer?
    Mostly, but you obviously also need to avoid people dying, specifically those you are assigned to, if any, and of course not die yourself.

- Always wonder is overhealing is good or bad depends of boss encounter (e.g PoH spamming or direct heals like on Majordomo cat phase)
    Overhealing is irrelevant, obviously.

High overhealing, just like ending the encounter with a lot of mana left, might perhaps be a sign that you could do better effective healing, but it's situational.