Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Gold making blogs

Hey I'm looking to start reading some gold making blogs and attempt to write one myself. Does anyone know of any good, frequently updated ones that would be worth having a read of?

Deleted
    http://stormspire.net/content/
    http://greedygoblin.blogspot.com/
    http://kujasgoldmine.blogspot.com/
    http://coldsgoldfactory.blogspot.com/
    http://www.warcraftecon.net/
    http://www.justmytwocopper.org/
    http://theunderminejournal.com/
    http://wowuction.com
    http://altosgoldishadvise.blogspot.com/
    http://www.powerwordgold.net/ (thx to xrayEU, there's a complete list of gold blogging sites)

At the beginning I was reading all those sites, but after I made like 200k gold, those sites got pretty useless. An exception to this are the stormspire forums and the undermine and wowuction sites. Warcraftecon.net is also good, as they have interviews with many gold capped players... and what a surprise, non of those got rich by applying the gold making tips from those sites.

With most of the gold making tips on those sites you won't make the million. If you're happy to make 10k - 20k gold because you've read something on those sites, then they are for you.

For serious gold making you only need this:
    - proper addons
    - all professions at 525 (except skinning and herbalism, mining only due to smelting)
    - knowledge how to play the auction house
    Last edited by mmocc9639e0326; 2011-12-22 at 07:08 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for those links joespesci. They should be helpful.

Deleted
    You don't even need all professions, just time, I've made my million mostly through Inscription alone, buying herbs and making fortune cards/dust of disappearance/darkmoon decks. I just sell off the burning embers these days but the fortune cards/dust are still profitable, typically make 10-15g profit per stack of whiptail I buy and I buy 400-500 at a time.

Gambling will always attract buyers and people respec often enough that dusts always sell, if slowly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathanmg View Post
    You don't even need all professions, just time, I've made my million mostly through Inscription alone, buying herbs and making fortune cards/dust of disappearance/darkmoon decks. I just sell off the burning embers these days but the fortune cards/dust are still profitable, typically make 10-15g profit per stack of whiptail I buy and I buy 400-500 at a time.

Gambling will always attract buyers and people respec often enough that dusts always sell, if slowly.
    Yes, but if you look at gold making from the GPH (gold per hour) perspective, the more professions you have the better it is. Time is always something you naturally do not want to invest. If time is no issue, then ANY "strategy" works, you could go out and kill whatever... baradin foxes all day long, and you get your million sooner or later.

My favourite is the one that claimed that combining 10 farming routines that each earn around 1k gold per hour, you will be earning 10k gold per hour. Didn't save the link, though.

---------- Post added 2011-12-22 at 10:10 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by joepesci View Post
    Yes, but if you look at gold making from the GPH (gold per hour) perspective, the more professions you have the better it is. Time is always something you naturally do not want to invest. If time is no issue, then ANY "strategy" works, you could go out and kill whatever... baradin foxes all day long, and you get your million sooner or later.
    More professions mainly helps through diversification, so that the output of one of them sells through the time you are done with others.

I for example have not much use for multiple profs because I only have less than an hour per day to play AH and that is only enough to seriously do a batch of only one profession.

most gold makers do not farm, its unquestionably a lucrative pastime, but its horribly inefficient of your own time invested. The idea is to spend 30minutes on the AH and then have 48 hours of auctions making you money.

key to working professions and the AH is a basic understanding of economic theories and finance. Not required to make gold, but very useful to maximizing returns.

So many people will speak of profits without accounting for the cost of materials that they farmed/gathered. They will fail to recognize the opportunity cost of utilizing materials instead of selling them raw.

Deleted
    Just go and quest a lot. This will make a lot of gold in a short time. Also loot everything and sell it (even the gray stuff!)

Deleted
    do old raids na have the all gold in the world

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    So, my 3 main characters (main and 2 most played alts) have JC, Alch, Mining, Herb, and Inscription. I've been looking to make a LOT of money, time isn't an issue for me but farming isn't that good of GPH, I have seen. Is my best bet to buy whiptail and elementium off of the AH and prospect/xmute gems and make fortune cards? Elementium is like 110g a stack on my server atm. I know with a lot of gold comes the ability to buy lots of materials, but I can't seem to break the 30-40k gold mark. Any quick suggestions? I have lots of downtime to play the AH.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUntsAhts View Post
    So, my 3 main characters (main and 2 most played alts) have JC, Alch,

Any quick suggestions? I have lots of downtime to play the AH.
    Shame about the elementium ore, their around 80-100 on my server with pyrite between 125-200g a stack. If i were you i'd check out how much the red gems are going for, and then se how much Carnelian's and heartblossem are selling for and then transmute them (transmute spec is a god send) and you can turn what would be 200 inferno rubies into 250+ whilst makeing a coffee or something for a nice return on the procs.

I do this and sell the delicates and brilliants for around 300g each on average with the carnelian and heart blossem being had for around 1200-1600 stack combined price depending on the day, for a straight 6 gem and no proc thats still around 800 to 1200 g profit at the min/max end minus any procs which are pure proffit..

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by snakecatcher View Post
    Shame about the elementium ore, their around 80-100 on my server with pyrite between 125-200g a stack. If i were you i'd check out how much the red gems are going for, and then se how much Carnelian's and heartblossem are selling for and then transmute them (transmute spec is a god send) and you can turn what would be 200 inferno rubies into 250+ whilst makeing a coffee or something for a nice return on the procs.

I do this and sell the delicates and brilliants for around 300g each on average with the carnelian and heart blossem being had for around 1200-1600 stack combined price depending on the day, for a straight 6 gem and no proc thats still around 800 to 1200 g profit at the min/max end minus any procs which are pure proffit..
    Yeah, bold/delicate infernos go for like 250-300g on my server. That's what I've been doing, also been considering dropping mining on my pally for Enchanting, because I've been told you can make ridiculous profits selling enchants. Carnelians are usually like 80-90g and heartblossom usually around like 120-130g. It's how I made like 40k in the past week, but I've been told some people make like 40-50k a DAY, and I'm really curious how it's done... just mass production? IDK I'm scared of the risk I guess... I don't wanna put a crap ton of money into the market not knowing if it will work out and be super poor lol. Will it work?

Deleted
    i have a tailoring enchanting alt and an alt with bs, i can make 20k from selling just gems and belt buckles but add in enchants like powertorrent, windwalk, lavawalker ect and then 20k investment can become 50k if your willing to check ah and post at stregic times (8 to 8.15, 9-9.15 ect for raiders) means some HUGE profits.

You do need the time and gold to invest tho and your ok if you can take that leap and invest 20k+ for a nice return over the next 2-3 days.

It's like anything, you'll find your feet and your own nich market which will be the consistant day in day out gold (mine is belt buckles, i sell 50-100 a day at 200-300g each for a 150-250g profit).

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    How much money are you at snakecatcher? Just wondering.
    And so like, should i just wait til elementium is cheap(prolly like 85g on my server?) , and buy like literally 100 stacks?

the drop rates are all known. they vary, but when your dealing with volume, that isnt a concern. You need to determine how many of each gem you stand to get by prospecting 100 stacks of ore, then determine what the value of those gems would be. will you vendor uncommons? auction them? Could you increase that value by getting an alchemist to transmute into additional rares? could you increase the value by cutting the gems? could you increase the value by crafting necks? could you increase by DEing those necks...

see the thought pattern?

think of all the logical results of each possible gem that you will have.

Next determine what you can REALISTICLY sell them for. This does not mean what auctioneer says as 100% of value, thats a number inflated by other players to intentionally raise the prices on the market, you need to see what the average GOING price (IE lowest) is for these various outputs.

Then, and only then, can you know, if on YOUR SERVER, this would be a wise investment, or rather, at what price you must purchase the ore to come out profitable. consider your time, consider the variation in the market, take a bit of a worst case scenario, I personally cannot log into the AH every hour to see if now is the time to list lol, I log in at night, I post, I sell an average of 30 enchant scrolls each day, average about 2500 at it. maybe if I logged in and reposted every hour I could increase that substantially.

IMO the key to all of this is endurance and consistancy. Ive been doing this for 2 years, Ive made nearly 2million gold. You need a sustainable system that is above all else, EASY. Or else you will tire of it quickly, better to make 2500/day for 2 years than 5000/day for 2 weeks.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, so what you're saying is I need to do the number crunching?

Yeah, so what you're saying is I need to do the number crunching?
    You got it. excel is useful for this as well so you can change the prices for fluctuations in price over time and quickly get an updated elementium threshold price.

Even if anyone else here is on your server and same faction, I wouldnt trust their math...

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks dude, I'll look into that

10+ Year Old Account
    So, my 3 main characters (main and 2 most played alts) have JC, Alch, Mining, Herb, and Inscription. I've been looking to make a LOT of money, time isn't an issue for me but farming isn't that good of GPH, I have seen. Is my best bet to buy whiptail and elementium off of the AH and prospect/xmute gems and make fortune cards? Elementium is like 110g a stack on my server atm. I know with a lot of gold comes the ability to buy lots of materials, but I can't seem to break the 30-40k gold mark. Any quick suggestions? I have lots of downtime to play the AH.
    Hey Capt'n,

This is Alto from the above blog. Without seeing your server and looking into specifics, there are a few things I would advise

1. Watch your prices or Ore throughout the week (or just check TheUndermineJournal) and get a baseline of prices/quantities. Obviously, you want to buy as low as possible. But you also want to consider the profit margins. Are you willing to spend 1hr prospecting to get 1k? or 2k? or 5k profit? If you see a market dropping quantity, (i.e only 1-5 or none of "x" gem), you can reset the market price and rock higher profits.

2. To assist with 1, get OreCrusher2 addon from Curse (very simple to use until you know the market 100%). If you are already using an AH addon (auctioneer, autionator, etc), it will grab the AH information and prices to help you with the number crunching and profitablity. If not, you will need to load up one of those and runs scans (just do a search on my blog for posts on anything AH).

3. With the new LFR being extremely popular, and with folks snatching up the point heads, gems are gonna (for some time) be heavy sellers on Tues and Wed, but once again, your server may vary. And DONT FORGET SHADOWSPIRIT CUTS! Did I stress that enough? Ok. Tmute some shadows with all those excess greens from your Ore.

Just a couple tactics that might help you on your way. Good luck sir. If you get stuck, just holler.

Alto.