Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

My Pokémon Team, help with final member!

Hey, can't see the Pokémon thread over the last three pages so jeah.

Forming a team for friend and online battles. I'm having difficulty deciding what the last member should be. I'm trying to work at championship play and I refuse to use a Pokémon that I don't like the look of, e.g; No Heatran.

My team currently:

Jolteon - Electric
    Blaziken - Fire / Fighting
    Metagross - Steel / Psychic
    Hydreigon - Dark / Dragon
    Gigalith - Rock

I'm aware that Jolteon is no longer the sweeper he used to be, but I've never gone a generation without him and don't plan on changing that. I'm thinking I need some sort of Grass type? I enjoy the idea of drains and Leech Seed. Perhaps a Ghost type?

I know it's not easy to guess what Pokémon I'd like, but even a type suggestion would have me looking in the right place. Also, are any of these Pokémon banned from tournaments? I can never keep up on whether Blaziken is counted as Uber/ banned or not.

Cheers.

Can somebody explain to me the term "sweeper".

15+ Year Old Account
    In my head, it's a Pokémon that moves fast and does high damage. High speed and high (Special) Attack are required, or the ability to build up that.

I'd suggest Landorus. That team's got a huge ground weakness, which is really common type. Possibly switch out Gigalith for something else, preferably something else ground-resistant. Maybe Ferrothorn? Could switch out Blaziken for Chandelure if you'd really like a Ghost-type, but it'd only really be useful for Psychics, both an uncommon type and sort of redundant with Hydreigon. Another possible Grass-type is Virizion, who is rather fragile but is fantastic specially, can set up with calm mind, and also has STAB Focus Blast, iirc.

Other possibly good grass types are mostly supports, like Whimsicott, with the very helpful Prankster ability.

For a very helpful site for shoring up weaknesses and resists, there's this, if you're not familiar with it: http://pokemon.marriland.com/black_white/team_builder
    Last edited by Caiada; 2011-12-22 at 04:38 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Blimey, I see what you mean about Ground.

In terms of type and move set, Ferrothorn looks pretty good actually.

Man, I miss Pokemon.

I assume the only way to play it still to this day is with some type of Gameboy right? No online platforms?

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Charizard. Because.

---------- Post added 2011-12-22 at 09:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Amontoya86 View Post
    Man, I miss Pokemon.

I assume the only way to play it still to this day is with some type of Gameboy right? No online platforms?
    Yes, it's either the gameboy (advance or not) or DS. Well that or PC emulations.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

A strong fighting type could could be trouble with your team, especially a sweeper with EQ, since like Caiada said, a ground type could do some damage as well. Even with Metagross' high defense, a strong EQ could do a lot of damage, most likely 2HKOing.

I would say a good addition would be Togekiss. With Serene Grace, Air Slash, and a focus scarf, you can cut through a lot. This would also even out your team with 3 attackers, and 3 sp.attackers.

Man, I miss Pokemon.

If you want to just do it versus other players:

http://pokemon-online.eu/

Otherwise, yeah, emulators, DS, or bust.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima View Post
    Also, are any of these Pokémon banned from tournaments? I can never keep up on whether Blaziken is counted as Uber/ banned or not.
    At the moment, Blaziken (and Exadrill/Garchomp) is banned from OU in Smogon and PO as far as i know. (mostly because of [DW]Speed Boost)
    For the official tournaments there are special restrictions, Blaziken won't be banned for VGC 2012, but was in 2011 (like all non-unova pokemon).
    Last edited by Mistral; 2011-12-22 at 10:23 PM.
    The advantage of the dreamer is that he never has to face the chains of reality.
    Blackhand[EU] - Mistral

10+ Year Old Account
    I would definitely get a strong psychic type (metagross doesn't really count since he's mostly physical) to deal with fighting types like Underskilled said. Last time I checked Speed Boost Blaziken is banned, but I don't know if a regular Blaziken is or not. I would definitely use Ferrothorn as a wall, he is amazing (just watch out for those fire types). There is Blissey as well to be a special wall, but it is possible that it is an uber since it's extremely good.

Well, get a Ferrothorn with HP/Sp.Def EV training or some. Nature could be +SP.def... dunno

Moves could be 1 stab-move, gyro-ball or that grass sling attack it learns. Or both as stab-moves.
    Then leech seed (Egg move!)
    Spikes (Egg move!)
    Curse is nice, could go with Iron defense to.

But really, take a look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZxWgYWiT0c

Deleted
    I would go for Golurk, Amoonguss, Venusaur or Ferrothorn.

sableye? no weakness what-so-ever slight diverse skills not to mention its dreamworld ability

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMJ-BeaGXkI
    Last edited by Tyrantx; 2011-12-23 at 01:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sableye has pretty weak stats though, even though it has no weakness, a strong STAB attack can do crazy damage to it. Spiritomb is better than Sableye anyways

Edit: I would actually agree with the Togekiss and ferrothorn. I personally would take the togekiss though. Air slash + serene grace is nuts, you can also learn energy ball for those bulky waters incase jolteon gets KOd
    Last edited by Orist; 2011-12-23 at 03:16 AM.

I say use a bulky water. Either Rotom-W or a bulky build of Gyrados.

So....are old Pokemon even used anymore? I stopped playing at Gold and Silver. I have recognized very few Pokemon listed here.

So....are old Pokemon even used anymore? I stopped playing at Gold and Silver. I have recognized very few Pokemon listed here.
    Some of them are still quite useable, some of them became usefull again in Gen5 thanks to the Dreamworld.
    To list some Gen1 OU: Cloyster, Dragonite, Gengar, Gyarados, Ninetales, Starmie, Tentacruel, Vaporeon and Venusaur.
    Mewtwo is in Uber as it allways was. With Psystrike it can rape Chansey/Blissey now, too.
    The advantage of the dreamer is that he never has to face the chains of reality.
    Blackhand[EU] - Mistral

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima View Post
    Hey, can't see the Pokémon thread over the last three pages so jeah.

Forming a team for friend and online battles. I'm having difficulty deciding what the last member should be. I'm trying to work at championship play and I refuse to use a Pokémon that I don't like the look of, e.g; No Heatran.

My team currently:

Jolteon - Electric
    Blaziken - Fire / Fighting
    Metagross - Steel / Psychic
    Hydreigon - Dark / Dragon
    Gigalith - Rock

I'm aware that Jolteon is no longer the sweeper he used to be, but I've never gone a generation without him and don't plan on changing that. I'm thinking I need some sort of Grass type? I enjoy the idea of drains and Leech Seed. Perhaps a Ghost type?

I know it's not easy to guess what Pokémon I'd like, but even a type suggestion would have me looking in the right place. Also, are any of these Pokémon banned from tournaments? I can never keep up on whether Blaziken is counted as Uber/ banned or not.

Cheers.
    There is one pokemon that needs to be on your team. This pokemon is extremely annoying with a devastating special attack:

http://serebii.net/pokedex-bw/547.shtml

This annoying little bugger will be the bain of anyone's existence, even other grass types! The move sets you want are leech seed, stun spore, giga drain and the last one is optional (I would go with substitute or protect) with the prankster ability.

The way this pokemon works is slowly eating away at your foe. It does require ramp up time but afterwords you won't see him die. Leech seed+ giga drain heals it up quite nicely while also inflicting devastating power and stun spore although a bit random, helps in a great pinch. It has great speed (very few pokemon can outmatch it) and decent special attack. This pokemon is my trump card and always on my team.

---------- Post added 2011-12-23 at 04:49 PM ----------

Next pokemon I wan't to introduce to you is a simple starmie:

This pokemon has great coverage in terms of types, it can learn water/physic/ice/electric and other moves which make it great. Its speed is great, its special attack is just as great (try and avoid moves like rapid) but there are 2 things that set starmie apart : Reflect type and recover.

Reflect type does exactly what you think, it reflects its type. This make starmie deadly and almost impervious to super effective unless your foe has an odd ball move (you reflect a grass type and it can use flamethrower at the same time), while recover heals you for any damage you recieve. Starmie is deadly don't under estimate it.

To get reflect type however you have to level staryu to level 46 then evolve it.
    Last edited by zito; 2011-12-23 at 04:39 PM.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

15+ Year Old Account
    What sets Whimsciot apart from the other Grass types? Surely other Grass can get that move set? Is it an ability or stat splitting?

Starmie was one of my back up team from Soul Silver. Their move set is awesome and it was quite fast. I'd have to get a new one for Reflect though!

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    Some of them are still quite useable, some of them became usefull again in Gen5 thanks to the Dreamworld.
    To list some Gen1 OU: Cloyster, Dragonite, Gengar, Gyarados, Ninetales, Starmie, Tentacruel, Vaporeon and Venusaur.
    Mewtwo is in Uber as it allways was. With Psystrike it can rape Chansey/Blissey now, too.
    Venusaur? Really? I thought Blaziken was the only "good" starter. What's good about him? I'd love to use him!

What has Dream World done to allow earlier Gen Pokémon remain viable?