Due to popular demand, I went ahead and formatted my original guide which can be found here http://guard-this.com/2011/12/24/pvp-gear-guide/ for use on these forums. Hopefully this can get stickied as it seems to be in very high demand.
I'm currently in nearly full PvP gear epics, with the exception of a few pieces and I should finish them all up by next week. I'd say that I geared up pretty fast, and since I get a lot of questions asking how, I thought I would share with all of you.
So first, a few quick facts regarding the sets:
- They do have set bonuses. You can't see them in-game unless you attain a piece. You can see the set bonuses at http://knotor.com.
- There is a 2piece and a 4piece set bonus for each set.
- You can use two 2piece bonuses from two different sets.
- All of the different tiers of the PvP gear share the same set. For example, you can have a Centurion Vindicator's Chestguard and a Champion Vindicator's Headgear and you will still get the 2piece bonus.
The vendors to buy the items are located at your faction's respective hub (Republic Fleet/Imperial Fleet). They should be across from the class trainers.
Now, some quick facts about the tier items and commendations:
- For each epic PvP tier besides the first tier (Centurion), you have the choice of buying the items with commendations such as Champion Commendations, or with tokens such as Unassembled Champion Frontline Force Mainhand Weapon
- The reason why you cannot get Unassembled pieces for Centurion are because the boxes for that tier do not exist. In order to get the Centurion Commendations you have to purchase Champion Gear Bags and get them from there.
- The unassembled pieces you get are completely random and you can get duplicates. With the unassembled pieces you get to pick what item to buy that corresponds to the piece you get (such as a DPS weapon or a tank weapon depending on your preference)
- The gear bags are unique, meaning you can only have one in your inventory at a time.
- You can buy the Champion Gear Bags before level 50, but you cannot open them until you are level 50. They are also unique so you can only hold onto one at a time.
- You must be level 50 and Valor rank 60 to open the Battlemaster Gear Bags
- The bags either give you 3 commendations from the previous tier, or 1 commendation from the previous tier and an unassembled item equal to the tier of the bag. For example, if you attain a Champion Gear Bag, you will either get 3 Centurion Commendations or an Unassembled Champion piece that can be used to turn in for an actual Champion tier item, such as Champion Vindicator's Headgear
- It costs 200 Warzone Commendations and 200 Mercenary Commendations to buy a Champion Gear Bag from the PvP vendor (located in the fleet hub, next to the PvP terminals)
- You also get the boxes from Warzone Dailies/Weeklies and Ilum Dailies/Weeklies
You can only get Battlemaster Gear Bags from the Warzone and Ilum Dailies/Weeklies. You can't use them unless you are valor 60. You cannot buy these like you can the Champion Gear Bags.
I understand this is probably getting confusing, so I will try to simplify it. This is the strategy I use to acquire the gear. I went right for the bags and didn't bother buying any blue pieces.
Assuming you are level 50:
Now that you have your first box. Open it up! You'll either get 3 Centurion Commendations or 1 Centurion Commendation and an Unassembled Champion Piece.
- Save up 800 Warzone Commendations. You can get these from completing Warzones.
- Go to the PvP vendor, either in a Warzone or on the Fleet. Use 600 of your Warzone Commendations to purchase 200 Mercenary Commendations
(Note: You can also roam around Outlaw's Den on Tatooine to get Mercenary Commendations from chests in the zone)
- After you have 200 Warzone Commendations and 200 Mercenary Commendations you can buy a Champion Gear Bag
Now you can start gearing up. Use the Centurion Commendations to buy pieces you need or want as soon as possible, and hope you get lucky and get some Champion pieces.
I personally used my Centurion Commendations to replace poor pieces of gear I had such as low level greens first, and relied on luck to replace the gear I had that wasn't terrible (Such as orange modifiable items with epic mods)
You also get either Champion Gear Bags or Battlemaster Gear Bags from Warzone and Ilum weeklies/dailies.
After you get to valor rank 60, you can start picking the Battlemaster Gear Bags from the Warzone and Ilum PvP dailies/weeklies and repeat the above process except with Champion Commendations and Battlemaster Unassembled pieces.
I hope this helps, and good luck gearing up for PvP!