Thread: Engineering

Engineering

Does it make gold? Is it expensive to level up and maintain? Cause im poor as but this profession looks nice though.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's mid-cost to level up. Suggest you have a miner if you don't have 5000-8000g to boost it.

It's entertaining, but only the engineering pets will really provide much of an income. Some people swear by it, but it certainly doesn't come near JC in the gold-garnering; I'd say that engineering is near the back of the pack for making gold.

Not really a money making profession. In the middle in terms of expensiveness. But it's fun with rocket boots, world enlargers, teleportation and parachutes.

10+ Year Old Account
    My DK is an engineer. I make a lot of money selling the extra volatile airs I get from mining because of my electrostatic condenser, but that's it really.

Are ores the main ingredient of engineering? If i pair it up with mining am i out of the weeds?

Engineering is useless for making money. Every other profession can make gold easier. If you want money get JC

I never really found a good way to make gold with my engineer. But I totally agree with the fun factor. Nets, turning people into chickens, teleporting places, bombs... so many toys to play with.

Deleted
    Nope, Engineering does not work as gold maker.
    I sell tranquil mechanical yetis for like 1k - 1.5k gold, but not more than one per day. That's it.

I have all professions at 525, below you can see what makes money for me and what not. The statistics are for patch 4.3 only, all sales were made in 4.3.
    Engineerin doesn't even have a single entry there...

Deleted
    most interesting proff ever, and for now, when JCers didnt get new gems compared to new +50 epic ones i think engi is more benefical
    bs + engi ftw.

Deleted
    Bleh, selling the pets isn`t too bad as is the volatile air thing (forgot the name of it xD)
    Go JC for gold imo.

Engineering doesnt make money. You can make a little with Flintlocks woodchuckers but not a lot.

Most of the fun has been nerfed out of it, and the majority of the "items of convenience" have a semi easily available alternative that non-engineers can use or have been rendered quite useless as the games been made more convenient anyway (A 50/50 chance at ressing was cool, apart from now that everyone whos in a decent guild can res the whole group anyway).

I can't believe how much Engineering has been neglacted in Cata, I think we were all waiting for great items to make it in a patch but it never happened.

If you accidently dismount a lot while flying and so a parachute would be helpful I'd really reccomend going for it though, otherwise don't bother.

It does not make gold.

It is a competitive dps boost.

It has some convenience items (teleporters all over the place).

It has some fun but nerfed-into-uselessness items (rocket boots. *sigh*).

Deleted
    Doesn't make gold at all. But it's a fun profession and the glove tinker is nice.
    I have it on my hunter and i miss the small things it has when im on my paladin.

It's the worst possible profession if you intend to make gold. No robots to scrap for mats and the condenser doesn't proc that often really. Only decent income would be pets and possibly scopes and scamming lvling engineers on low lvl mats.

Deleted
    Best profesion in terms of fun, a lot of gadgets(teleport to outlad,northrend,winterspring,tanaris), use "trinkets" that are applyed on gloves with 1 min cd
    and some bombs. In terms of money making dont expect too much from it.

If your intention is to make gold: No. You'll probably never make as much as you spend levelling it. I might have done, but that's because I've been engineer since Vanilla when it was shit. I also picked up the Mechanical Toad recipe from somewhere (probably for about 4g) and that sells nicely since they added achievements for pets. You may get lucky with the more common pets as the prices can spike for no reason.

If your intention is to have fun: Yes. The boots may be no use in a raid, but "useful" is not the point of engineering. It's about being cool and then blowing yourself up in a spectacularly stupid manner. ^_^