Computer specs and graphics for old republic

Hey I have a pc running windows 7 have an AMD 2.0 dual core (think its 2.0 but know its no less than that) 3gb of ram and and AMD HD 4850 graphics card. Get ok fps in the world and stuff but warzone is much worse. Was wondering if I updated my graphics card do you think I would get better fps. Sounds like a noob question I know but I just want to make sure before spending money on a good card that it will improve my performance. Know the PCI express slot in my pc is a 1.0 and PCI is backwards compatable with the slots, just want to make sure that wont bottleneck me too much. Would like to be able to run near to or full graphics settings with as few issues as I can. Thank you in advance for your help and hope everyone had a great Christmas

Brandon

I also had a 4850. I recently bought a Radeon 6750, new Mobo, 8gb of Vengeance RAM, and a 6 core AMD processor. Runs alot better now.

K just got more infor I have the AMD 4800+ 2.8 dual core cpu for a fact just ran dxdiag. Do you think I would notice a good performance increase if I just added another stick of ram and upgraded the graphics card?

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    i have a geforce 560 ti but only a intel quad core q9450 4 gb ram, was running warzones slow and had everything on low. upgraded to a i5-2500k, 8gb ram and it works hella smooth now.

Deleted
    your cpu is bottleneck for gfx you have now, upgrading to anything stronger is pointless, i'd suggest to save money and buy cpu+mbo+ram+gfx card combo when u can and what will your budget allow you.

I'm running an i7 950 with 12 Gb 1600 Ram, a snazzy SSD and a (factory) overclocked GTX 480 and am still being frustrated with SWTOR performance.
    I can run along at 110 fps and then chug down to 70 when there's action on screen - here's the thing - it's a really noticeable drop, it chugs along and it doesn't even feel like 70 fps. When I put vsync on (I prefer a constant 60fps to higher frame rates skipping up and down depending on the action on screen) yes it reports 60 fps but when I mouse-look about (ie, all the time) the graphics feel laggy and sluggish - it's not the 60 fps with vsync I remember in Skyrim or WOW. (no I'm not talking about mouse precision/speed). I even try windowed (maximised) which while technically it switches off vsync it runs at desktop refresh rate (60 fps) anyway. That's a lot smoother than fullscreen vsync.

All being said, my fps still gets caned out the front of the senate in coruscant or in the Black Sun area. I cannot imaging the slideshow I would get in a battleground or raid with so many people and special effects flying around.

Could I put a new mobo in the case I have now? Its a dell E 521 case I know my processer it the strongest that will fit in the stock board because I upgraded to the 5800 from a single core processer more than 5 years ago

4850 should be fine, my gf has a phenom I x3 and a get 260 and plays it easily, and unless I'm getting my generations confused 4850 is roughly equal to a 260

edit: Misread OP, yeah the best upgrade for gaming will be GPU, your processor and ram will not be bottlenecking I shouldn;t think

Deleted
    I've got a Phenom X 3 @ 2.4Ghz, and a 4850, running it at high settings on 60fps+ with shadows off at 1600x1050.

What resolution and settings are you trying to play at and getting low fps? Bioware also know about this issue and are looking into fixing it before you shed out loads of money on upgrades.

nah crookers you're not confusing stuff, indeed 4000 series was a competitor to nvidia 200 series, except that 260 is aimed against rad4870, not 50, but that's small issue;
    Boogdieb you should be able to install a new mb in your case, if you like how it looks or for whatever reason. But you'll probably need to upgrade your power supply aswell, afaik dell used to put shitty 300-sh watt PS' in their rigs at the time, and you'll need more like 600+ one.
    regarding performance: I upgraded to gtx570 some days ago, from 9800gt, and the performance boost was noticeable, given that I am running the game on c2d e8400 at 3.60ghz with 2gb ddr2 pc-8500 sdram, which is pretty old by any standards. But it's able to run the game at High settings on everything except for shadows. I am planning to upgrade to something midrange like i5 2500k soonish, but I really doubt the game's performance will be seamless then, because from what I can see it's coded very lamely, and optimized as such
    so I suggest you just pucker up, scrub some pounds and upgrade, your rig is some generations old by now, anyway

Ok so resolution is 1366x768 that's what my max is for my tv so gpu and game settings are both set to that. My power supply is an 800 or 900 watt I think (upgraded it back when I got the card I got) would only keep case I currentlly got to save money as the look don't bug me at all. Notice that I drop gps the most in warzones and in the space ports prob getting an average between 12 and 25 fps. Just want to be able to run at near 60 average if I can and not dump too much money.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you'd like, this thread MAY net you some better results in the computer sub forum. I happened to catch this due to the timeline on the main page.

Your best upgrade solution is a P67/Z68 chipset motherboard with an intel i5 2500/2500k (k is unlocked and allows overclocking)

Knowing your PSU is a huge help - you may well need a better one with the upgrade. - exact make and model - just because it says "650W" doesn't mean it's pushing 650W on the rails that need the power the most.

You will also need to upgrade your RAM to DDR3 1600mhz ram - 8gb kits are quite cheap now.

THIS is going to be your single best decision and purchase for upgrading your performance in an MMO. That CPU is unfortunately quite old.

---------- Post added 2011-12-28 at 12:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Korzh View Post
    <snip>I am planning to upgrade to something midrange like i5 2500k soonish, <snip>
    Just wanted to throw this out there - the 2500k is the current single best gaming CPU on the market, and is no way midrange. The i3-2100 or -2120 is your "midrange" gaming chip.
    Last edited by Uggorthaholy; 2011-12-28 at 05:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    Just wanted to throw this out there - the 2500k is the current single best gaming CPU on the market, and is no way midrange. The i3-2100 or -2120 is your "midrange" gaming chip.
    i7 3930k would be the new high range option, I'm wondering how SWTOR runs on X79 systems as I'm thinking about building one
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

It is a well established issue that warzones, particularly Alderaan, run terribly on most peoples' computers, regardless of specs. I have a Phenom II X4 965, 8GB RAM, and GeForce FX 560ti and my FPS in Alderaan warzone is usually <20. I also have up to a 1 second delay on abilities, even though my ping with fiber optic cable is only about 20ms.

tl;dr: though upgrading your computer might help, the problem is really the game, not you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    i7 3930k would be the new high range option, I'm wondering how SWTOR runs on X79 systems as I'm thinking about building one
    The enthusiast platforms are typically geared more towards workstations than gaming. I highly doubt an X79 system would really be poised, especially cost wised, to outdo a 2500k.

---------- Post added 2011-12-28 at 12:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbleem View Post
    It is a well established issue that warzones, particularly Alderaan, run terribly on most peoples' computers, regardless of specs. I have a Phenom II X4 965, 8GB RAM, and GeForce FX 560ti and my FPS in Alderaan warzone is usually <20. I also have up to a 1 second delay on abilities, even though my ping with fiber optic cable is only about 20ms.

tl;dr: though upgrading your computer might help, the problem is really the game, not you.
    Again, your CPU is your bottleneck. While one of the best AMD gaming chips out before BD, still doesn't hold a candle to the performance of a 2500k, especially an OC'd 2500k.

Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    The enthusiast platforms are typically geared more towards workstations than gaming. I highly doubt an X79 system would really be poised, especially cost wised, to outdo a 2500k.

---------- Post added 2011-12-28 at 12:43 AM ----------

Again, your CPU is your bottleneck. While one of the best AMD gaming chips out before BD, still doesn't hold a candle to the performance of a 2500k, especially an OC'd 2500k.
    I don't know what BD is, but that's beside the point. The problem generally isn't peoples' computers. The reason Alderaan doesn't run well isn't because my processor sucks. I can get around 80 FPS almost anywhere outside of warzones. There's some issue with the warzones.

I know my power supply is a Rocketfish and I want to say its an 800w I cant remember and I am not currently home to check. I upgraded it when I got the computer because the Dell PSU wouldnt even run the 4850 I currentlly have. I want to be able to run the game great with mid to high settings, but I want to make sure I don't dump money at something that is not going to give me the performance boost I want. I do not recall the warzone I have the most issues with but I do remember how it plays lol. Its the one where you have to take the turrets to attack the republic (As I am Sith Bounty hunter) Huttball seems decent but the one discribed it pretty bad. Lots of choppy gameplay and graphics lag. Also you mentioned DDR3 ram I know I currently have DDR2 is it not fast enough or something for this game? Also if I went with a new motherboard and ram would I need a better processer too. I know some basics about computer builds but alot of the newer hardware I don't know as much about.

---------- Post added 2011-12-28 at 03:56 AM ----------

Would something like this be a good start? Also could I just use the hard drive, disk drive and power supply from my old computer? Because I do not think that the aftermarket mobos will line up in my case correctlly I may have to prety much do a new build. Sounds like work but it will be worth it if I can get the performance I want in the end. Wont let me post the link but theres a memory mobo combo on newegg MSI 880GM-E41 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard and 8gb of ram.
    Last edited by Boogdieb; 2011-12-28 at 09:00 AM.