10+ Year Old Account

How can i dedicate more of my ram memory to my graphics card?

How can i dedicate more of my ram memory to my graphics card? i have 8GB ram, only 3 of them are being shared

Motherboard: GIGABYTE S-series P45T-ES3G

RAM: 8GB

Windows 7 64bit

CPU: Core 2 Quad Intel

Graphics card: MSI N560 GTX

tried Google but i kept getting the wrong problem fixes

Deleted
    Look in the bios for sharing ram but your gfx card will have its own ram you can't share with a card only on board.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanthos View Post
    Look in the bios for sharing ram but your gfx card will have its own ram you can't share with a card only on board.
    already have checked the bios cant find suck option, or anything about memory actually, what do you mean i cant share? im already sharing 3gb, i just want to share more :L

Deleted
    Uh, its not going to do anything.

The Video RAM is Video RAM because the bandwidth requirement for the GPU to access it is extremely high. Regular RAM is simply far too slow both in terms of latency and bandwidth - so whatever it is you're trying to do is not going to help.

How exactly are you sharing system memory with your graphics card?

Could you elaborate?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Uh, its not going to do anything.

The Video RAM is Video RAM because the bandwidth requirement for the GPU to access it is extremely high. Regular RAM is simply far too slow both in terms of latency and bandwidth - so whatever it is you're trying to do is not going to help.
    makes sense but if so, why has 3gb been shared if what you say is true?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Meezo View Post
    makes sense but if so, why has 3gb been shared if what you say is true?
    Because it serves as a backup. The GPU doesn't actually use it for any direct rendering, its basically for when the GPU's own memory limit is overloaded. But that'll produce very noticeable performance drops, and tends to occur only at more extreme resolutions or in a very limited gamelist.

Even then however - the amounts used are insignificant, increasing it will do nothing.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-12-26 at 02:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Because it serves as a backup. The GPU doesn't actually use it for any direct rendering, its basically for when the GPU's own memory limit is overloaded. But that'll produce very noticeable performance drops, and tends to occur only at more extreme resolutions or in a very limited gamelist.

Even then however - the amounts used are insignificant, increasing it will do nothing.
    i see, ty, but DAMN, i could have bought my 560 graphics card with 2gb instead of 1 but i got cheap and thought i would just buy more rams, it will be cheaper, i did not know then what you just told me, so this is why a 2gb graphics card is allot more expensive than the 1gb one -.- ah well, what has been done can not be undone :P, thanks again

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    i see, ty, but DAMN, i could have bought my 560 graphics card with 2gb instead of 1 but i got cheap and thought i would just buy more rams, it will be cheaper, i did not know then what you just told me, so this is why a 2gb graphics card is allot more expensive than the 1gb one -.- ah well, what has been done can not be undone :P, thanks again
    Depending on what game and resolution you're running at you may not notice much of a difference between the 1 and 2 gig models.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Don't look so closely on the amount of VRAM unless you run at resolutions, well, above 1920x1200 or multi-monitor gaming (which falls under the resolution-category) or use millions of AA in very new and extreme games at high settings with high-res textures.
    Other than that, VRAM-amount has little benefit in throughput; All you need is enough.
    So unless you're running BF3 or Crysis 2 in 2560x1440 or similiar in high settings, you are unlikely held back by your VRAM amount. Likely, the GPU isn't up to par before you're running out of VRAM anyway, so you'd get back a bit of lost performance, but it wouldn't magically be twice as good.