Need help with FPS issues

Hey, I've recently bought SWTOR and have noticed despite meeting the recommended system requirements, I've been getting very low fps(10-25fps) and steep lag spikes when mounting/force charging into combat. I'm wondering if anyone knows a solution/reason to why my computer is running the game so poorly. Here's my PC specs:

Radeon HD 4870 512mb (running on 1600x900 resolution)
    AMD Phenom X3 8750 BE CPU 2.4GHz
    ASUS M4A785-M motherboard
    4GB DDR2 RAM
    Windows 64Bit

I've downloaded the latest graphic drivers and everything, but am at a loss for finding a fix for my poor pc performance on swtor.

You need to upgrade! You lucky that you are getting 25 fps with your specs.

1. Video Card to DDR5 1gig atleast
    2. Ram to DDR3 8GIG atleast
    3. Cpu can be upgraded as well
    WoW, Season 2 Gladiator Rogue (Djprada). #1 3v3 RPM, Vindication BG, Old School Arena rating 2450 and 2v2 R/L 2400, Server Laughing Skull
    Swtor, Battle Master, Sith Assassin Dice, 690 Experise, Server Dearth Wind Corridor

Lvl50 - Assassin PvP Video http://youtu.be/To-k7ZaZGmA

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I run at a solid 45-60 fps most of the time in swtor, but that was after i turned off the shadows. Someone had mentioned having framerates ubsurdly low and someone suggested that abou the shadows and it has been a savior for me. Also i know what lagg you are talking about with force charge, but it only does it if i force charge while still mounted. If i am running on foot and charge, no lag, but if mounted my comp goes Rtard mode for about 3 secs.

Quote Originally Posted by loljames View Post
    Hey, I've recently bought SWTOR and have noticed despite meeting the recommended system requirements, I've been getting very low fps(10-25fps) and steep lag spikes when mounting/force charging into combat. I'm wondering if anyone knows a solution/reason to why my computer is running the game so poorly. Here's my PC specs:

Radeon HD 4870 512mb (running on 1600x900 resolution)
    AMD Phenom X3 8750 BE CPU 2.4GHz
    ASUS M4A785-M motherboard
    4GB DDR2 RAM
    Windows 64Bit

I've downloaded the latest graphic drivers and everything, but am at a loss for finding a fix for my poor pc performance on swtor.
    Reduce shadows to "Off".
    Fixed my problems, and I have the mobility version of 4870.
    Currently running on usual 60 fps almost everywhere on high textures.
    Also that lag charging from a mount is a known issue I think. I'm getting it as well and it seems to happen only if you have an active companion when you dismount. (There's a small lag when opening the bags as well).

Deleted
    ye Shadows is a huge FPS killer as the 2 above have mentioned, i was on 9-13 fps then turned off shadows and it went to 33-40 fps lol

you could try some OC even tho its not recommended long term, a 10 - 15% cpu boost could work considering its black edition you should have no problems getting that. if u dont wanna risk doing it there are some tips on youtube that could work for you, search for How To: Increase Your FPS in SWTOR. hope this helps

Sorry, not a computer expert, so I can't give you any super reliable information, but I do have two possible solutions, that worked for me

Turn Shadows to Low, or Off, in your Video Settings

When you experience an FPS Drop, reload the UI (Ctrl+U, U)
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

Hijacking this thread for a more general question.

SWTOR runs OK-ish on my machine. Since I'm a poor student, the only upgrade I could afford atm would be going to 8GB RAM (from 4GB DDR3). Would this result in a noticeably better performance?

CPU is a PhenomII X4 955BE
    GPU is a Radeon 4890 1GB
    MB is a Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
    64bit OS, of course.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have all my settings turned down as low as possible (with shadows off too) and am still getting poor fps.

Can you guys recommend any good price/performance parts that I can consider upgrading to?