Deleted

How do I overclock my CPU

I currently have an Intel i7 2600k CPU @ 3.4ghz
    8GB Ram
    Matrix GTX 580 Graphics card

The Problem is I still seem to drop to around 20-30 FPS when in 25 man raids with partical density usually at ultra/high but everything else low. It was my thought that I pretty much have one of the best systems available, or at least I did a few months ago, not sure if multiple upgrades are now out.

I was told when I first got the CPU that I should overclock it, but the fact remains It wasnt even me that built this PC. I have no knowledge what so ever about these things and he didnt know how to overclock it either. If you need my motherboard its Gigabyte Z68AP-D3. Hopefully this all means more to you guys than myself. If you know of any other reason my I have FPS issues, please tell me. Ive heard I should be updating my graphics card every week or so with the latest drivers, but again no idea whether this is happening passively or I need to manually do this which again I dont really know how to do.

Sorry for my ignorance on this whole subject but Id love a bit of advice from you guys.

Ive also got 2 hardrives. One internal HD with 500gb space. The other is an SSD which was only 60GB and my friend told me to install windows and WoW on my SSD so it will load up faster. My SSD is now at breaking point however with constant messages telling me its full and I need to clean it up. Do you think I should just install wow on my internal HD as this could be causing my issues?
    Last edited by mmocfa5c6e7ca4; 2011-12-27 at 02:48 PM.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, for one, I don't think either AMD or Nvidia has a driver update every week, usually a month or so between updates. Also, especially for WoW you likely won't see any performance difference between updates, the only possibility there would be if you added another card then some updates may impact it. However, a 580 is well above what you need for WoW.

I have a hard time believing your computer is actually making use of the 580 however, if that setup is only netting you 25-30 fps in a raid with settings on low. Is your monitor actually hooked up into the port on the card, and not the motherboard?

You could try running WoW just off the internal, you'll obviously see a difference in loading times, fps probably won't have much of an impact though. Also, a 60 gig should be a fine amount for windows and wow, unless you have a zillion addons (in which case you should remove)
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

I'd say that it is likely due to the hard drive running out of space.

And 60GB isn't much, WoW alone is 25GB, Windows is around 20GB (64bit, 32bit is 16GB), page file is around 10GB (I've seen conflicting reports saying that it's either 1.5x the physical memory and some say it's 1x the physical memory. This is assuming that you didn't touch the pagefile). That leaves about 5GB left, not much at all.

I have a worse PC than that and I get 50-60 fps in 25 man raids and I have SWTOR open too... Try checking the temperature of your CPU and GPU. Also make sure you check your nvidia graphic settings with the desktop tools and make sure stuff like high quality AA isn't on or some other crap like that. Vertical sync too.

Oh this is with 8x AA and 16x AF btw eveerything on ultra just like you
    Last edited by alemaite; 2011-12-27 at 03:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    OP go to gigiabytes website listed here:

http://www.gigabyte.us/support-downl...ad-center.aspx

Choose your motherboard and go to the utilities section and download the overclocking software. There are many others available but that should get you overclocked safely.

Deleted
    Thanks guys, ill look into these things

Deleted
    Uninstall WoW from your SSD and put it on your HD.

You were told to overclock your processor because the "K" in the "I7 2600 K" means the processor is unlocked and it's designed to handle stress and load.

An overclocked i5 will beat a stock i7 and costs £100 less. Not overclocking your I7 means you are wasting £100.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodNewsEveryone View Post
    An overclocked i5 will beat a stock i7 and costs £100 less. Not overclocking your I7 means you are wasting £100.
    For gaming sure...

But not for video conversion or any other multi-threaded process.

Quote Originally Posted by alemaite View Post
    I have a worse PC than that and I get 50-60 fps in 25 man raids and I have SWTOR open too... Try checking the temperature of your CPU and GPU. Also make sure you check your nvidia graphic settings with the desktop tools and make sure stuff like high quality AA isn't on or some other crap like that. Vertical sync too.

Oh this is with 8x AA and 16x AF btw eveerything on ultra just like you
    Simply put, you're lying. No hardware available in the current generation can push 60FPS during 25m raid encounters with all settings maxed, let alone with running another MMO in the background.

Please refrain from posting dramatically incorrect information as that will only confuse other users looking for genuine advice.

@OP 20-30 FPS is normal in some of the current DS encounters, especially if you have multisampling and shadows pumped up, even on that hardware.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    An overclocked chip beating a stock chip from the same generation? What sorcery is this?!

Yes, an overclocked chip from the same generation will obviously beat a stock clocked i7. A stock i5 and stock i7 are neck and neck in gaming in 99.9% of cases, and the difference between them is within the margin of error. Disable hyperthreading on the i7 and you've got an i5 with a different name. Overclock an i7 with or without HT enabled, and you've got an i5 with 4 more cores (logically)..

Also, K doesn't mean the chip is built to handle overclocking. It simply implies it's unlocked and doesn't give any guarantee of any clock speed above stock. Of course, all of them can clock somewhat, but not all of them are great at it. HT does affect voltage required for clocking, as well as temperatures, but it doesn't affect how well the chip itself will clock.

Also, the point you made is somewhat void, since it's only ~£15 difference between a 2500 and a 2500K, and likewise with the 2600 and 2600K. So, to correct you, "Not overclocking your K series chip means you are wasting £15".
    I think you misunderstood me as I was comparing the price between the 2500k and the 2600k as overclocked the i5 will rival the i7. As such it's a £80-100 difference.

Games cannot utilize hyperthreading but it doesn't hide the fact the i7 is the superior processor and is superior technology.

A processor with unlocked cores is designed for overclocking. Guarantees and recommendations are irelevant. A gun is designed to kill people but every manufacturer out there will clearly say "we don't recommend it".

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    No one answered his question.

If its running on stock cooling, then I wouldn't go abouve 4Ghz.

To overlclock, go into your BIOS and then, depending on BIOS, you can up the multiplyer. set it to 40 and run a stress test to see how hot it gets... once you hit 70 degrees celcius, thats your limit... Yes, it is rated higher, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post

If its running on stock cooling, then I wouldn't go abouve 4Ghz.

To overlclock, go into your BIOS and then, depending on BIOS, you can up the multiplyer. set it to 40 and run a stress test to see how hot it gets... once you hit 70 degrees celcius, thats your limit... Yes, it is rated higher, but I wouldn't recommend it.
    NEVER overclock on stock cooling. Are you crazy? Pump a 2600k up to 4Ghz and you'll see temps around 75-80c under full load.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    NEVER overclock on stock cooling. Are you crazy? Pump a 2600k up to 4Ghz and you'll see temps around 75-80c under full load.
    Under a full stress test, yes. Under normal uses in gaming etc?? Not really.

The stock cooler is actually good. When the P4 came out, it was very hot, and so Intel had to create a good cooler for it. They created the copper based coolers we still have today as stock. I ran my I5 2500K on stock @ 4GHZ fine for a few months, temps hit 60c max playing WoW, which while high, isn't too bad.

Most of us aren't giving him the answer because of this:

Quote Originally Posted by Lekiki View Post
    I was told when I first got the CPU that I should overclock it, but the fact remains It wasnt even me that built this PC. I have no knowledge what so ever about these things and he didnt know how to overclock it either.
    Also:

Quote Originally Posted by Lekiki View Post
    If you know of any other reason my I have FPS issues, please tell me.
    OC'ing the pc *might* give the OP 5-10 more fps, but not much more. Plus, it's an issue with the pc, and even OC'ing to 5ghz wouldn't solve the issue. It is likely due to the HDD running out of space and the pc is becoming bottlenecked and is struggling to keep the pc up. I'm surprised the pc hasn't blue screened yet.

The stock cooler is actually good. When the P4 came out, it was very hot, and so Intel had to create a good cooler for it. They created the copper based coolers we still have today as stock. I ran my I5 2500K on stock @ 4GHZ fine for a few months, temps hit 60c max playing WoW, which while high, isn't too bad.
    There are plenty of situations that a processor will hit full load, and WoW is one of them. I find your apparent evidence of yourself doing it rather fishy, but I digress...

You're giving awful advice, and you should stop it.

build pics

15+ Year Old Account

This is a bad idea. If you want to overclock, get a third-party CPU cooler

Can the CPU survive low overclocks on the stock cooler? Absolutely, it's "rated" for 3.8 on the turbo boost and 4ghz is a small change. Will the CPU be happier with a third-party cooler? Mod definitely.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right