Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

How many SWTOR players left WoW for the same reason?

I was already planning to quit WoW for SWTOR. What surprised me was that half of my guild followed me for the following reasons:

1. Dragon Soul was not an enjoyable raid. Firelands was fun, DS isn't.

2. LFR trivializes content that previously took months to do.

3. Bliz has just stopped caring.

I'm loving the hell out of SWTOR and I'm glad so many guildies came with me from WoW.

I was just wondering if any former WoW players left for the same reasons and their thoughts on what SWTOR is offering us that WoW doesn't.

I left because of general disappointment in the company and in the game. Blizzard went from a company that made tons of money making great games, to a company that makes money at the expense of making quality games.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I left in the spring. I had enough of my guild drama. I was going to probably quit when TOR came out, but with most of my friends I enjoyed playing WoW had left or moved servers I had little reason to continue to play. Mostly WoW failed me in that they stopped trying. Karazhan imo is still the best raid in the game, Ulduar being a close 2nd, which is unfortunate considering they didn't do jack in WLK.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

I left because I can use two lightsabers.

Deleted
    I still play WoW, I plan on doing so untill Hc Madness is done. I have said since T11 I'd be quiting when Deathwing Dies on Hc, although at that time I didn't realise Deathwing was going to be here so fast.
    I'v started playing Star Wars now, and although originaly didn't like it, have now started to really enjoy it. I know 2 guild members in WoW plan on quiting when Dw dies on Hc also.
    I'll probably keep my WoW sub up but won't be playing a 10th of the time I did.
    I don't hate anything specifically in WoW, I like a lot of things in it, I have just lost interest in it to be honest.

Mostly 3 for me, i have a feeling blizzard just spends all their resources on their new games, and WoW is run by a skeleton crew. Lots of stupid decisions have been made since Kaplan went to work on titan.

That being said, i can't say anything about 1 (i quit long before 4.3, and stopped actively raiding back in TOC), and fully disagree with 2 (it makes stuff accessible, without hurting those that want to do the harder versions, that's a good thing).

TBH if bioware doesn't add something like LFD/LFR down the road, it's probably will be my reason for quitting SWTOR 6-12 months from now, once i run out of solo content and progression means.

Nothing to do with raiding. I don't enjoy the things I used to enjoy, and all the upcoming stuff mostly feels like more of the same rather than sparking the excitement it used to. That and the next expansion felt more like a giant april fools joke than something to take seriously. Pandaland, really!?

Don't want to see WoW die though, loved it whilst it lasted.

I have an active sub for both games because I enjoy both.

Leave WoW for SWTOR? Not likely.

Everyone is caught up in the leveling process, and in awe of the storytelling and cinematics. Once the novelty wears off and you reach Lv50, we'll see the endgame and judge which one is worth the subscription cost. There are many flaws with TOR's endgame currently, and unless they fix it, people will go back to WoW.

1. Can't really debate one's definition of fun, I'll leave this one alone.

2. Yeah, it trivializes content and really asks you to pick a side in the casual v hardcore war. Unfortunately, I believe most players are satisfied with being casuals and saying that they "beat the game" in LFR mode. I however, am a heroic mode raider. I do not consider LFR mode as any type of completion. (Same would apply to TOR: but from what I have heard, even the heroic flashpoints are buggy as hell right now.

3. Blizzard is catering to such a large playerbase that it does feel like some people's issues are being ignored, but I don't see how TOR is any different here. Developers simply don't read forums and grant everybody's wishes.

Take a step back, look away from the shiny gloss of novelty, and judge the game's endgames, because that is what is going to keep you subbed.

TOR: 3 BGs, a lot of buggy flashpoints, and I have not done or seen any Ops yet...

WoW: More PvP options, More PvE options, all catered to your particular playstyle.

Honestly the #1 thing right now that keeps me interested in TOR is the space battle daily missions. GUMMI SHIP is back with a vengeance!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Udderpowered View Post
    That and the next expansion felt more like a giant april fools joke than something to take seriously. Pandaland, really!?.
    To be fair, they were always a part of Lore, and like Metzen said at Blizzcon, they planned to use them, it was just all about waiting for the right time.
    They might even pull out an amazing Expac, we will just have to wait and see.

Deleted
    Two major MMO's = more competition

More competition = Better content from both games

Blizzard / Activision probably did get lazy over the last few years, WoW seemingly bullet proof from _ every _ other _ supposed _ WoW _ Killer

However they now have major competition and could end up being second place very soon.

Star Wars has the draw because of the title, people who have never played an MMO in their life are picking SWTOR up just because its Star Wars, you wouldnt get that so much with WoW.

The real test for SWTOR is end game content and how many subs they have after 9 months on the 3rd quarterly report

I haven't left WoW, but I have been generally dissatisfied w/ Cataclysm as a whole. Not at first, though...at release, I thought it was awesome. As time went on, though, the patches just felt empty/flat and rushed to me. It may have had to do with content being released that I had little/no use for, it may just be from me playing the game too much. When I played the other xpacs, the story felt rich to me and I felt like I played a big part in the story; Cataclysm, in my opinion, didn't make me feel that.

SWTOR is fucking awesome in that aspect; everything I do, every choice I make...makes me feel like I'm an important part of the big picture of the game. Other than that...it feels like from Burning Crusade in space. I'm not saying that is a bad thing at all for either game; I love them both equally and will continue to play both for a long time.

EDIT: I'm excited as all fuck for Mists of Pandaria. I just hope that it gives me the feeling of being part of the story, like Classic/BC/WotLK/Cata (at release) did.

I actually left to get away from people like you.

I'm leaving wow because the community is terrible. I know many of SWTOR players are ex-wow players but I'm hoping the lack of crossrealm services will make people be at least slightly respectful to one another.

Deleted
    WoW is just so boring, there's nothing to do. Kill Deathwing in LFR for the Nth time, do faceroll dungeon or do unbalanced unfun battleground or horribly unbalanced arena. Everything in WoW is rehashed from years of boring childish routines.

Everything about SWTOR is better, more fun and more immersive. There's more to do at endgame, and the levelling experience is so good, levelling alts is not a chore but a pleasure.

The community on my server is great and people recognise each other and make groups on the server for dungeons and PVP, no cross-realm LFD/LFR where everyone acts like rude children as in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Udderpowered View Post
    Nothing to do with raiding. I don't enjoy the things I used to enjoy, and all the upcoming stuff mostly feels like more of the same rather than sparking the excitement it used to. That and the next expansion felt more like a giant april fools joke than something to take seriously. Pandaland, really!?

Don't want to see WoW die though, loved it whilst it lasted.
    I'm sorry just because you don't know anything about warcraft doesn't mean your ignorant comments are ok.

Why WoW lost me:

* Uninteresting content - the story is told in freaking YouTube videos. Why do I need a game again?
    * Nothing to explore - not just the world, but includes side stories, professions, etc
    * No complexity - the elimination of talent trees in MoP, major buzz kill. Homogenization of gear
    * LFD and LFR - a social game that has no advantage to being socially acceptable, yeah..... as I've said in threads to Blizz, LFD killed the social soul of WoW. Great convenience feature with a HUGE downside that affects enjoyment negatively for me enormously. The good person to jerk ratio is like 1:10 nowdays.
    * No character attachment - the only thing that keeps me on a single toon is my mount catalog and achievement points. And I got burned out on either of those 2 years ago.

That's not to say Blizz has screwed up. Actually I think they are building a tiering of games:

Accessible Tier
    --------------
    WoW - accessible, starter game, get you hooked on Blizz game design
    SC2 - fanbase game, very accessible, requires no monthly fee

Challenging Tier
    ---------------
    Diablo 3
    "Titan"

There is one major flaw in it for me though. WoW has become SO ACCESSIBLE that the ratio of good to jerk players is growing wider at an alarming rate. As a result I fear WoW is on the path to becoming Runescape. Yes, said it here first.

Quote Originally Posted by Destian View Post
    I was already planning to quit WoW for SWTOR. What surprised me was that half of my guild followed me for the following reasons:

1. Dragon Soul was not an enjoyable raid. Firelands was fun, DS isn't.

3. Bliz has just stopped caring.

I'm loving the hell out of SWTOR and I'm glad so many guildies came with me from WoW.

I was just wondering if any former WoW players left for the same reasons and their thoughts on what SWTOR is offering us that WoW doesn't.
    I just can not help but laugh at the reasons you say you quit a game. Firelands was fun? Ooooh, OK.

Blizzard just suddenly stopped caring? Stopped caring about what? They're still working on and producing new content. They're releasing bug fixes and patches. How exactly did they stop caring? Give us some details beyond some stupid 5 worded sentence.

How EXACTLY does LFR trivialize content when it doesn't affect 'normal' mode or 'hard' mode? LFR gear is less in value than normal and hard mode. LFR is NOT required to enter into either of those raids to complete them. Lastly, LFR does not have any impact on your guilds raiding. So basically your just using another crappy excuse to explain your inability to clear what is actually HARD content.

I left WoW because I've played the game for 2 years off and on and just got bored. Time for something new to sink my free time into and enjoy the computer gaming hobby.

I left because the grind was getting unbearable. Firelands dailies...ugh. As someone who likes to complete everything there was no way I was going to keep running those same dailies for months and months hoping that the damn pet would finally drop. And all the nerfs to try to control people from soloing old content...that was one of the things I enjoyed most in WoW, and Blizzard kept chipping away at it.

Also, the gear resets EVERY FREAKING TIER and the difficulty of the raid content meant that it didn't feel worthwhile to keep banging your head against the wall, especially in a raiding group filled with ICC-level (skillwise) raiders not really capable of handling Cata raid content. Blizzard making a LFR easy mode is completely the WRONG solution too. The correct solution is more avenues to slowly outgear the content, allowing you to progress eventually the timing of which depends on your skill level and dedication. But with 25's giving the same gear as 10's, that avenue was pretty much blown out of the water.

IMO, WotLK was pretty much the best expansion overall, but Blizzard (as usual) didn't fully understand their own playerbase and the potential problems of things introduced in Wrath pretty much killed the game for millions of players. Heroics needed to be left casual and easy. Gear resets needed to be limited to late in the game only so that the early progression didn't feel like a waste of time. The first raid tier needed to be kept fairly easy to transition people properly from the mega-nerfed ICC to new content. Blizzard totally blew it because they simply did not understand theitr own players.

Those are the reasons I left WoW. I was looking ahead to ToR, but I would have left WoW regardless. I left in August, and was playing Rift in the meantime and much happier with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post

I'm leaving wow because the community is terrible. I know many of SWTOR players are ex-wow players but I'm hoping the lack of crossrealm services will make people be at least slightly respectful to one another.
    While I *mostly* agree with this...and personally hate LFR/RDF (because nobody travels anymore)...once an anonymous internet asshole, always an anonymous internet asshole. Until you can send a bitchslap via TCP/IP, it will always be like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post

The SWTOR community is just as bad as WoW. it has NOTHING to do with the game and everything to do with internet anonymity letting people act like the worthless douchebags they want to be in real life but cant due to not wanting to get the shit kicked out of them by others.