Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    I don't actually watch lots of Anime/Manga, mostly because I have no time... I've watched Naruto so far and I've heard One Piece and Full Metal Alchemist are also great.
    Also if anyone is intrested in watching Naruto this website has them in both Japanes with English subs and English dubbed ( I'm just putting it up here cause I loved watching it with the Japanese voices) ==> http://www.narutoget.com/

Ps: Nice to see all these different Animes, saving them for when I do have some time

10+ Year Old Account
    Darker than Black wasn't really "dark" imo, its basically X-men meets James Bond with a little Japanese world ending apocalypse thrown in there. I wish my wife watched anime with me =(

Try watching FLCL. I love the show, personally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caninese View Post
    Try watching FLCL. I love the show, personally.
    I wish it was longer, but at the same time I don't. I like it when an anime has its story actually resolved within the course of production.

@OP - I am actually in a similar boat as yourself but I can recommend some animes that we both enjoyed. I would recommend the following:

Claymore - Good action and slightly gory. Not alot of fanservice despite the main protagonists being all girls.
    Mushi-Shi - Decent stories to be had here. It can be a bit slow but if you are looking for something more cerebral this is a good one.
    Macross-Plus - Decent stand alone story. I only saw this subtitled as I couldn't stand the dub but if you are ok with that you might want to check this one out.
    Chobits - Its little girly but my wife liked this one. As a guy it might be stretching things a bit but you could do worse.
    Samurai Champoo - This one is not bad. Decent random action. I wasn't much of a fan of the hiphop vibe but that could work for you.
    Trigun - An older series but still decent.

As for myself I will probably be checking out some of the ones mentioned here.

Deleted
    I would go with Samurai Champloo(sorry in advance I really like this series)

Storyline is fairly decent, a lot of it revolves around the relationships between the 3 main characters more than anything. Visually it is reasonable, not as well drawn as some anime but far better than a lot I have seen(especially the action scenes)

Although it is quite subtle the music is really exceptional, it was written by one of the best producers who unfortunately died in a car accident. Probably the only slight detractor is the unusual styling of Japanese Hip Hop culture in a few parts of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Revik View Post
    Claymore - Good action and slightly gory. Not alot of fanservice despite the main protagonists being all girls.
    Trigun - An older series but still decent.
    Oh Trigun is always good, I'll completely second that one, I forgot to mention it.

Claymore as well.

Code geass had a lot of fan service death note is very good thou. Trigun or samurai champloo both were really good animes. Cowboy bebop case closed are good ones to. Gundam, Yu Yu Hakusho, Scryed, claymore is good but i would stop around episode 23 and just read the manga gets way drawn on and wierd. The manga keeps it interesting when it reaches that point in the story.
    Last edited by worsthitmanNa; 2012-01-07 at 02:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    1) Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    2) Monster
    3) Death Note
    4) Code Geass
    5) Detroit Metal City

Well I'm not sure what netflix is sorry but generally some of the animes I would recommend are (in no particular order):

1) Code Geass - Personally best anime to-date, the story was amazing and very engaging. So many twists and turns throughout the series.

2) Death Note - At times a little dark but it's part of what makes this amazing, the story is very thrilling.

3) Kuroshitsuji - The first season was great but it's an anime were you either love it or hate it. Not much actions which is a shame but the characters are very intriguing and they make the series great.

4) Claymore - Surprisingly people don't have a lot of love for this anime but I found it to be great, it can be a little gory at times but the action in it is very interesting and the series spans out for a decent length.

5) Ao no Exorcist - I found this to be amazing, interesting take on the heaven vs hell concept. A very light-hearted anime will plenty of action throughout.

6) Nurarihyon no Mago - Personally not the best, the first series was great. The introduction to all the main characters genuinely is one the main things that made this anime interesting, however very slow on action front which is what made you appreciate it more when something did finally happen. The second season (and manga)kind of devolved into your typical supernatural-action anime, coming across an enemy, he loses, he obtains new powers/trains, beats the new enemy. Rinse and repeat, which is a great shame. I still recommend watching it though.

7) Fate / Stay Night - Very interesting concept as the 'servants' are based on famous historical figures, the action is great as well as the story. The main protagonist wasn't very interesting though in my opinion he just seemed too generic and wasn't very convincing in certain parts in the story. Also the story becomes a little weird towards the end and it left me confused at some parts. But still highly recommend watching.

8) Gai-Rei Zero - Not a very long or popular anime however, I found it to be great. Again, the action in it is great and the story behind the characters is very interesting. One of the main things I liked about the anime is the story's progression. I certainly do not recommend reading the manga though.

9) Darker Than Black - Great anime, story is great and I love the characters development they felt "real".

10) Full Metal Alchemist - One of the most popular animes of all time, I personally would recommend watching Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood as opposed to the orginal series as it sticks more to the manga and overall felt like a better anime. My only criticism of this anime is that I wished it had been more 'realist' just that in certain situation characters acted unnaturally to certain events (which is typical is a lot of animes).

11) Samurai Champloo - A little old now but great nonetheless, action scenes are amazing and are a thrill to watch but not much for story.

I personally loved every one of these animes as well as many many more, I'm not sure if you all of these can be found on your netflix but if you can you should check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by XeBIKr View Post
    Ok. Thanks for all the ideas. A bit of a recap:
    Code Geass: I love this show. My wife liked until season 2 and then she lost interest.
    Death Note: Great show. Too dark for my wife's tastes.
    Eureka Seven: DVD only (doh!). I'll keep a look out.
    Vampire Hunter D's: Not available.
    Ouran High School Host Club: Added to q. Looks like goofy fun.
    One Piece: DVD only
    Clannad & After Story: added to q.
    Elfen Lied: Ouch. Very powerful show. Nudity was never less sexy. Too dark for the Mrs.
    Eden of the East: Added to q.
    Blood+: Added to q
    Ghost in the Shell: I've tried this one before. She just didn't get into it.
    Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne: Looks interesting, but from a review "TV-MA rating isn't enough warning, this anime contains graphic violence, torture and nudity" Maybe not this one.
    Steins;Gate: Not available
    Angel Beats: Added to q
    Utena: Not available
    Serial Experiments Lain: DVD only. I like the premess, though. I'll keep an eye out.
    Baccano!: Immortal alchemists and mobsters. Awesome. Added to q.
    Hayao Miyazaki: Loved all of his. Good stuff.
    Samurai 7: Ooo.. sneak in a Seven Samurai story and hope she likes it. Added to q.
    Soul Eater: Might be too weird. Added anyway. I like weird.
    Black Butler: Demon butler. Sure! added.
    School Rumble: Um.. Ok. Added.
    Darker Than Black: Might be too dark. Added.
    The Twelve Kingdoms: DVD only.

Again, thanks for all the great ideas. Should keep us busy for a while. At random (right after my first post) we started watching Full Metal Panic. Surprisingly we've both gotten into that one. I like the mecha's, she likes the romance. We'll start in on the others when we finish
    Yeah Full Metal Panic is a great show, make sure to watch Fumoffu and TSR after first season, also I love Trigun which is on netflix and Samurai Champloo is a great show, and I would add Vandread to the list.

Deleted
    Berserk. If your wife doesnt like it, divorce her and watch it anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would suggest Gankutsuro if either of you like The Count of Monte Cristo, it is a futuristic retelling of the story in anime mode. I rather enjoyed it.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

10+ Year Old Account
    Not on netflix as far as i know but it IS streaming for free at funimation.com Fairy tail a great series about a magic guild. Next to no fanservice fun story and good comedy as well.

A lot of my most favorite animes have been posted here.
    Some good stuff of the meiji era japan:
    - Rurouni Kenshin: A story about a former assassin who was employed by revolutionist during the meiji revolution seeks to atone for his sins and enjoy an easy going life.

- Samurai Champloo: 2 diametrically opposed samurais travel with a damsel-in-distress young woman. Compared to Kenshin, it is more light-hearted, but still has loads of character development

Btw: Darker than Black is not actually dark, it is a kind of a post-apocalyptic espionage thriller about so called Contractors, who have achieved extraordinary powers after a worldwide event and are employed by numerous agencies throughout the world. I thought it was highly exciting
    True, but the difference is that in GTA3 you're only shooting (and robbing, murdering, having sex with, etc) pixels. In WOW you get the pleasure of dealing with some of the most despicable human behaviour you'll ever witness.

Not sure if it is on netflix, but I found the Princess Lover! series fairly good. No English dub, but if it were to be on netflix, I would assume it would be subtitled.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    How can there be no mention of the greatest anime of all time?!

Cowboy Bebop will always be a breath of fresh air. Great music, great action sequences, good story and good characters. A absolute must!

Though sadly, I have no idea if it is on Netflix.
    You opinion that it;s the greatest of all time. And most likely not Bandai is closing their doors and they were never that big on digital routes.

10+ Year Old Account
    ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̡͌l
    People listed some of the ones I would've recommended already. My top pick for you two to watch together would easily have been Ouran High School Host Club. My other recommendations are..

Spice and Wolf
    Here's the opening song for the first season. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN_WgwEmRaw
    http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Sp...?trkid=4375231

Kaze No Stigma
    http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Ka...?trkid=4375231