Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Massive FPS drops in the Old Republic.

Alright, so this is really annoying me. I have a pretty high-end computer and I still drop down to 30-20 FPS etc in PvP and whatnot on Star Wars. All drivers are updated, i've tried every single fix. I also freeze for 2-3 seconds when opening the inventory tab and map etc, and it's really annoying.

My system speccs:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 3.3 Ghz
    RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1600mhz
    GPU: XFX Radeon HD 6950 2GB Vram

I've heard there are serious optimalization issues, but come on.

I appreciate every answer

If you havent already turning off shadows helps immensly

im in same boat u are, same amount of ram and same processor.. except im using 2 gtx 460's and i stay around 20-30 fps.. this engine is freaking horrable

you're cpu is going to hold you back. Overclock that shit.

Greatest gains I saw were by turning off Bloom and Shadow Quality and by reducing Grass and Tree quality. Just keep fiddling with settings until you find something that works.

$0.02.

I got the same problems as you 20-30fps in pvp and i clocked my CPU and gained 5-10 fps... This game engine dislike Amd cpus and seems to love ATI. Wich is horrible..
    And i just bought a new MB so i don't feel like buying a new one so i can get an i5/i7. So my only solution for this problem now is to wait until Bioware fix this horrible performence problem if they now ever will.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 3.8 Ghz
    RAM: 8 GB DDR3 2000mhz
    GPU: GTX 460 Soc SLI

Try turning the sound off ...I know it sucks but it brings up my FPS a bit .I turn it back on during cut scenes though

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by karrad View Post
    untrue:

i have a phenom X4 overclocked to 3.3 and a very overclocked 6850 and i never go under 40 FPS in pvp; over 70 FPS everywhere else. everything maxed (including 8x AA in CCC) and texture quality set to high in the ini file.

oh also i have an SSD for my hard drive so i have none of the 'open UI element' bogdowns.

there's been a massive series of threads on this in the official forums, hope this helps you OP

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=99905

I doubt that I will have to overclock my 6 core CPU to get steady FPS.

I run Battlefield 3 on Ultra with 90+ FPS (stable). 'Nuff said.

---------- Post added 2012-01-01 at 03:30 AM ----------

And thank all of you for your inputs! This is a really helpfull and caring community indeed

- Michael.

could be if you're running the game in windowed mode maximized, which is bugged and chops your fps
    maybe you're not, probably not, but worth checking out

Quote Originally Posted by mrwarburton View Post
    I doubt that I will have to overclock my 6 core CPU to get steady FPS.

I run Battlefield 3 on Ultra with 90+ FPS (stable). 'Nuff said.

---------- Post added 2012-01-01 at 03:30 AM ----------

And thank all of you for your inputs! This is a really helpfull and caring community indeed

- Michael.
    Couple things. First, you have a much better video card than you do CPU. Reason I say this is that Battlefield 3 id more reliant on your video card than your cpu, where as SWTOR uses much more cpu. Nuff said.

Secondly, you have a 6 core cpu, but if you do some research you will realize that those 2 extra cores are doing nothing for you in SWTOR. So karrad's reccomendation to overclock your cpu is 100% Accurate.

Also, turn off shadows.

and that's BS tbh, the cpu is relatively new
    I am running the game on c2d e8400at3.6ghz, 2GB ddr2 pc-8500sdram with gtx570 and the game runs smooth on max settings except for shadows set to low

To validate my previous post since I know someone is probably going to ask, here are my computer specs:

i7-920 overclocked to 4ghz
    HD 6870 at about a 20% overclock
    12gb ram at 1600
    SSD HD

Quote Originally Posted by Booomy View Post
    Couple things. First, you have a much better video card than you do CPU. Reason I say this is that Battlefield 3 id more reliant on your video card than your cpu, where as SWTOR uses much more cpu. Nuff said.

Secondly, you have a 6 core cpu, but if you do some research you will realize that those 2 extra cores are doing nothing for you in SWTOR. So karrad's reccomendation to overclock your cpu is 100% Accurate.

Also, turn off shadows.
    I know that those 2 extra cores does shit all in SWTOR, but I don't think I will have to overclock my CPU for this game. It's not THAT resource craving, or atleast shouldn't be.

But considering as this is a relatively new CPU, I do not think that my CPU is the problem, it has to be something else and I am 100% sure my rig is not the problem.

Thank you for the input, though

Oh, and shadows are already turned off. First thing I tried.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwarburton View Post
    I know that those 2 extra cores does shit all in SWTOR, but I don't think I will have to overclock my CPU for this game. It's not THAT resource craving, or atleast shouldn't be.

But considering as this is a relatively new CPU, I do not think that my CPU is the problem, it has to be something else and I am 100% sure my rig is not the problem.

Thank you for the input, though

Oh, and shadows are already turned off. First thing I tried.

what type of hard drive do you have? how old is it?

what video drivers are you using? are they from the card manufacturer or directly from AMD?

what other programs are running? Do you have a browser open with multiple tabs/streaming, etc? Count them up for us down in the bottom right corner.

take a screenshot of your AMD Catalyst 3D/game settings. copy and paste your settings from your client_settings.ini file in:

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings

Quote Originally Posted by shewkoi View Post
    what type of hard drive do you have? how old is it?

what video drivers are you using? are they from the card manufacturer or directly from AMD?

what other programs are running? Do you have a browser open with multiple tabs/streaming, etc? Count them up for us down in the bottom right corner.

take a screenshot of your AMD Catalyst 3D/game settings. copy and paste your settings from your client_settings.ini file in:

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings
    My harddrive is a year or two, it's a 1 TB 7200 Rpm SATA harddrive from HP (Hewlett Packard) and here's my client_settings.

[Renderer]
    D3DFullScreen = true
    Height = 1080
    NativeHeight = 1080
    NativeWidth = 1920
    TextureAnisotropy = 16
    Width = 1920
    WindowX = 0
    WindowY = 0
    MeshLODQuality = 1
    SpeedTreeDistanceScale = 1.25
    PlantDensity = 100
    doShadows = false
    doBlobShadows = false
    FarClipScale = 1.

On my 3D settings for Catalyst I have enabled Antistropic Filtering and Anti-Alising (maxed). Turning this off has proven ineffective in terms of my FPS.

By the way, my problem is not that I drop down to 40 FPS in some zones, I can live with that, but the fact that it keeps chaning is really disturbing my gameplay experience

Thanks for the reply

Hmm. Well. There may be something else going on with drivers and what not. I still say you should overclock simply for the fun of it

I turned off shadows and now my fps is always 35+ on a decent/non-gaming laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Angrybathtub View Post
    I turned off shadows and now my fps is always 35+ on a decent/non-gaming laptop.
    Shadows are off, and I usually have 110+ FPS when outdoors, it can suddenly drop down to 40-30 for 2-3 seconds and go straight up to 100 again. it's annoying.