Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Can we get this stickied for reference later?

I could stick it with the sticky index, but stickied by itself? No.

EDIT: Added.

You should add websites where to buy the keyboards, because alot of them are not available on regular computer websites.. for exemple I bought my Filco majestouch off elite keyboards

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortalis71 View Post
    You should add websites where to buy the keyboards, because alot of them are not available on regular computer websites.. for exemple I bought my Filco majestouch off elite keyboards
    Will keep this in mind. Finals week this week, so I'm sure I'm going to get nothing done.

15+ Year Old Account
    Because i treated myself to a mechanical keyboard recently, i just wanted to give you some impressions.

Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent

Build quality: 10/10
    Feels like you could hit somebody over the head with it and it would still work perfectly afterwards. The rubber feet are good, but the little jack-up-legs could use a bit more grip on shiny desktop surfaces.
    They keys are all uniform in their actuation. Even larger keys like Space or Enter work perfect when only pressed on a corner.
    Key printing is laser-etched with sink-in ink, so they should not wear off ever. The font used for lettering is (at least on my german layout) a bit different from most other keyboards (more "edgy") but not difficult to decipher... but you should not have to look at it anyway.

Features: 9/10
    This is not a gaming keyboard, and as such you can't expect macro keys and other stuff. Slight down-vote for the placing of the build-in usb hub (it's on the right side, where you normally have your mouse. So it could lead to some space issues). And even if it isn't a gaming keyboard, back lighting would have been nice (like on the Deck Legend).
    The cord is long enough for most users (roughly 2m), and you get a USB -> PS/2 adapter for full NKRO (not that really need more than the 6KRO, that usb can provide)

Now for the actual used mechanical switches: Cherry MX Brown
    Although they are labeled as "silent", they still a good deal louder and "clickier" than most rubber dome keyboards. But the noise does not come from the switches itself, but from releasing the keys, mainly because the used plastic is sturdier and more rigid than other keyboards -> sharper sound when plastic hits plastic.
    They actuation force needed is comparable to a solid rubber dome, but not as hard as e.g. Cherry G83. The difference to a rubber dome is, that you feel the key press before you bottom out. And the "bump" before the key registers is fairly light, so that you don't actually bottom out anyway, but can "hover" around that point and release the key earlier. Even after only like 2 days of using it, i can already feel my typing to become a lot smoother.

Like in the first post already stated, the MX Brown are the compromise between typing and gaming.

P.S. @Fuzzy
    Do you have a mechanical or are you still using the Sidewinder X4?
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

any1 knows if there are any Flat gaming keyboards?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by agracul View Post
    any1 knows if there are any Flat gaming keyboards?
    I think it's better to make a seperate thread for that, this thread is about mechanical keyboards, not about flat keyboards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biernot View Post
    P.S. @Fuzzy
    Do you have a mechanical or are you still using the Sidewinder X4?
    I use a Microsoft Sidewinder X4, because I don't enjoy the price of mechanicals. I have a perfectly good Razer Blackwidow in my closet though.

Reading Overclock.net's keyboard guide made me want to get one immediately... One is on the way actually =).

Deleted
    As Biernot gave his impressions on his Das, I might as well give some on my K90.

Having a frame of aluminum, the Corsair K90 is incredibly durable. That being said, it is a bit of a gimmick. I've never really heard anyone complain about a high-quality plastic keyboard breaking before, which unless you bang it on your desk most likely won't happen. Together with the blue LEDs though, the keyboard is simply stunning. A big drawback however is that not all keys are lit; only the mechanical keys actually have blue LEDs (the macro keys have a white glow).

As you may or may not know, this keyboard is not fully mechanical. Only the main typing keys, the numpad and the arrow keys are mechanical, the macro keys, F-keys as well as insert, delete, etc are regular rubber-dome. This is both good and bad, good because it reduces the price and distinguishes the keys (pressing a macro key as opposed to a regular key will feel different which can be a good thing) and bad because, well, not all keys are mechanical (while it is nice to have them distinguishable, you want the macro keys and F-keys to act and feel similar to the other keys).

I have cleaned the keyboard once, and it is incredibly easy. Basically just take canned air or a vacuum cleaner and go at it as the raised up, frame-less design makes the K90 incredibly easy to clean from dust and particles. Another great feature is the media keys, and the absolutely amazing sound-wheel. The LED-control work well, as does the windows-lock function.

The macro system is also superb, and offers all the functionality and ease of use as you would expect. Using it together with the macro functionality of my Naos 5000 makes it absolutely incredible and nothing I will ever be able to game without - at least not without some serious swearing.

The wrist-rest is good enough, and definitely above average. It has a nice rubber coating and feels very sturdy. Also a plus is the built-in full USB-port as well as the thick braided cable.

Positive:
    - MX Red Switches
    - Macro-functions are superb
    - Looks amazing
    - Durable
    - Volume-wheel

Negative:
    - The price is a bit steep
    - Not fully mechanical
    - The aluminum frame does not extend to the macro keys, making the macro-keys look like an add-on

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Another great feature is the media keys, and the absolutely amazing sound-wheel. The LED-control work well, as does the windows-lock function.
    Are these any better than the Logitech ones (wheel, LED-control and windows-lock)? Because I have a hard time seeing that to be possible ;o

Corsair K90
    Can you take a few action shots? I've been interested in a new keyboard, and I saw a few pics of the K90. They made me want it.

Mostly interested in the visuals of the LEDs in a room with the lights on/off and their ambient effect.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Are these any better than the Logitech ones (wheel, LED-control and windows-lock)?
    The wheel is, but not the other media keys (more in Logitech's favor than anything), at least compared to the G110. The scroll-wheel, being aluminum with a mesh, is of higher quality and feels a lot better than the one on the G110.

Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessSoul View Post
    Can you take a few action shots?
    No problemo. Took these quickly before going to work this morning (5.6 Aperture, 1/50 Shutter). The camera give it a slight purple hint oddly enough.

Lights on: big lamp being behind, up and to the right and two screens from front and right:

Lights off, only monitors are on:

And lastly, lights off with no monitors on:

Here's also a small audio-sample with some typing. Microphone is on the braided cable in this case to emphasize the sound.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-02-22 at 06:59 AM.

I bought a DAS Ultimate a little over a year ago and will never go back to a membrane keyboard again. I love the response when you push a button, you actually push it. If you are thinking about getting a keyboard for an office/shared living space definitely go with one that is silent, or you will end up getting a second keyboard within 3 weeks that is a bit quieter. When I don't have my headphones on it can become annoying.

But, my question is, for anyone that knows, what is the actual Cherry part # for MX Blue switches? I want to get replacements to replace a couple keys that don't have the same feel/sound anymore but I can't figure out what the actual part is... Does it have the face plate mount or not? I have yet to see a definitive answer. If someone does have the answer, here is the website you can order them from: http://www.mouser.com/Electromechani...rry+mx&FS=True

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice guide/information list, Fuzzy

Srsly it's soooo hard to remove all this stuff when quoting, no wonder people sometimes quote huge posts and leave it all in.
    Cheers, Marest. I really like the look of it, and it's no louder than either of my current keyboards (I have a backlit unbranded keyboard with scissor keys, and a Dell which is pants). Thanks extra muchly for that sample
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

15+ Year Old Account
    Does anyone have any experience with Zowie Celeritas (pro)? Can't find any other decent mechanicals from Finland:/ Only downside at the moment seems to be a lack of laser inked keys.. And maybe the relatively high price. Opinions?

Deleted
    We need the Logitech G710+ added, I believe they're brown switches?

Amazingly useful thread, been thinking about getting a new keyboard (still using the Logitech G15 from like 7 years ago) and this had a lot of good information in it. Appreciate the list of keyboards that come with the different keys, looking at red switches probably, they seem like the best option for gaming.

Perhaps a tall order here.

Can anyone suggest a keyboard with:

Cherry browns
    A shorter than average width but with the numpad (so one of those where the enter/shift key are sacrificed a bit and the cursors squashed into the bottom right corner of the main section)
    Backlighting
    Macro keys

I know I have practically zero chances on that one but I'd be curious to know. If anyone can do it minus the cherry browns I can source the switches no issue so might just replace them myself... then cry lots if the keyboard ever breaks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.