Thread: America

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post
    Precisely. And if they are worried about the government being bogged down by too many small fringe parties, they should just instigate a rule saying that a party needs a certain percentage of the votes to get representation (say 5% or so).

Have to say though...Democrats and Republicans are pretty similar in many ways.
    they have that already i think, i think its quite high though its irrelevant as it requires a whole state to vote for it instead of enough people all over the country to comprimise a whole state population

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ishootblanks View Post
    the USA party system is different than the rest of the world's party system.. the two parties can be looked at like this.. on a scale of 1 to 200.. 100 being truly independent.. and 1-99 is republican and 101 -200 is democrat..

in the USA you do not elect a "party" into power.. you elect and individual.. the only purpose of the party system in the USA is to give voters a basic idea of the style in which that individual will legislate..
    Eh, sure...you can look at it like that. But in the end, you still have a choice between only two people (and even then, a candidate can get more votes, and still lose the election). More if you include the nomination elections, but even there, all those running will be some stripe of "Republican" or "Democrat", which means anyone who doesn't fit those categores is excluded. The system is, quite simply, undemocratic.

Quote Originally Posted by ishootblanks View Post
    the USA party system is different than the rest of the world's party system.. the two parties can be looked at like this.. on a scale of 1 to 200.. 100 being truly independent.. and 1-99 is republican and 101 -200 is democrat..

in the USA you do not elect a "party" into power.. you elect and individual.. the only purpose of the party system in the USA is to give voters a basic idea of the style in which that individual will legislate..
    neither do you do that in most other western countries... In my country if you want to vote for party you can... but you can also vote for an individual which most people do but that means that his party gets this vote too

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    they have that already i think, i think its quite high though its irrelevant as it requires a whole state to vote for it instead of enough people all over the country to comprimise a whole state population
    Additional stumbling block just in case someone actually manages to break into the cozy little two-block system? *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post
    Eh, sure...you can look at it like that. But in the end, you still have a choice between only two people (and even then, a candidate can get more votes, and still lose the election). More if you include the nomination elections, but even there, all those running will be some stripe of "Republican" or "Democrat", which means anyone who doesn't fit those categores is excluded. The system is, quite simply, undemocratic.
    inb4 the US is not a democracy but a constitutional republic yada yada yada... Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Netherlands and Britain are all constitutional monarchies but they are still democracies dang it