10+ Year Old Account

SWTOR: A few gripes for an otherwise promising game

Greetings. I'm playing my 4th toon so far on SWTOR and this time I've chosen the Commando. I enjoy the gameplay, but I'm sitting at level 14 and I've already got FOUR AoEs and and 5-6 direct damage abilities that all perform very similar results. What's the deal here? Do I really need four 2-Ammo damage abilities that do roughly the same amount of damage? I have something like 10 very similar damage abilities at 14. Too cluttered, especially with a priority system.

Secondly, what's the deal with the WoW-Vanilla-era talent trees? "Improve the damage of X damage spell by 1/2/3%?" Come on BioWare!

I hope they do something soon with the UI as well. The unit frames are awful. Health bars colored red at 100%? No bueno. And they are very thin and hard to read at glance.

Finally, no information is relayed about procs -- this is unacceptable in a game where every GCD is filled with an action and there are ZERO visible queues that a proc-based ability is usable without pausing casting to see if the button is lit up. I shouldn't have to stop casting for this.

I hope these things get fixed because the game is smooth and can be an absolute blast to play. Looking forward to seeing what they come up with!
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

My main gripe with game play is that I feel like a hunter. I hate looking after pets. I hate for pets to be integral for my survival/success. I don't like pets... and yet this game revolves around them.

There are visual ques for proc based attacks, like for instance the marauder glows red to let you know your force scream has 100% crit rate. The problem is they are subtle and it took me till the 30s before I could spot it with any regularity. Not sure if all proc based attacks have a visual but if they don't then that's stupid and needs to be addressed once they get all the mundane technical issues worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeryana View Post
    My main gripe with game play is that I feel like a hunter. I hate looking after pets. I hate for pets to be integral for my survival/success. I don't like pets... and yet this game revolves around them.
    \

I agree with you, but in this game I don't feel like pets are a burden. They're executed really well in my opinion.

As for the OP, I don't find any of that an issue. The procs were difficult until I learned what icon meant what, but after that it was simple. Try being less tunnel visioned and it will not be an issue.

And about #1, read the tool tips for your abilities. Some will replace other abilities (such as Strike -> Mortal Strike for WoW), and others will have associated procs or talents that make them useful. I felt the same way until I took a second and actually worked out a proper rotation for myself.

To contribute to this thread, my biggest gripe with the game is that leveling more than one character is a pain because I need to go through the exact same quests. I can't simply level through class quests, or else after one planet everything is red. And even if I do complete all the quests on a planet, sometimes I'm still under leveled for the class quests or quests for the new planet. I've been doing red/orange quests on my SI since the 3rd planet. It's just not fun ending every fight, with more than normal mobs, at less than 50% health, or killing an elite with my companion dead and myself barely alive.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-01-01 at 12:00 PM.