Poll: Would you still play this if it didn't have the Star Wars brand attached to it?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Seeing as the reason for me playing this game is not the star wars brand, sure I would. I feel like playing Mass Effect Online with Star wars characters attached.
    Give me Turians and Salarians, I'd still be a happy camper.
    I draw the lines at My little Poney.

Considering the lore, art style, technology, etc would all have to be different as it's all Lucas's IP, it wouldn't be even close to the same game. Not a good question to be honest.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I voted no, because there is no way I would have found out about it otherwise.
    Not to mention the fact that the question allows for so much random interpretation it's not even worth answering.
    I'm not entirely sure why I posted at this point.

I don't normally like Star Wars, I'm actively avoiding the Jedi and Sith stuff.

The Agent and Bounty Hunter narratives are where it's at for me. Love, love, love the aesthetics and style of the agent and it's hardly anything I'd ever associate with Star wars. Feels like an amazing spy MMO.
    Last edited by Vanaline; 2012-01-02 at 11:59 AM.

I voted Yes.

Would it be as popular right off the bat without the Star Wars branding? Probably not. But, it is a very solid MMO and more importantly RPG.

Also, from my perspective, the story isn't overly saturated with the standard Star Wars vibe. And that is because I play a Commando Trooper FTW! At times, I feel more like I'm playing Starship Troopers minus the big bugs. But with that said, I am looking forward to rolling my force-wielding Jedi Alt in due time.

I love this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. I would try out any game created by BioWare.

Deleted
    I didn't join SWTOR becouse of star wars brand, but becouse i saw beta footage and found it interesting to try. I alrdy like it more than WoW tbh.

Deleted
    Mm. This is a new one.

OT: I wouldn't have started playing TOR if it wasn't Star Wars. I do like the game a lot though, which is not due to the brand.

I like how....well there are actual stories for each class, and the stories are fairly nuanced, plenty of good/light side options. I'm already dark 2 and only level 16, that's about 70- 80 difference light/dark . But yeah to me i don't care alot about the SW universe. I'm not really a fanboi. I like games with interesting plot. I thought dragon age was hard to get into for some reason, but NWN and Balders gate were well done

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by micmacmo View Post
    (Be Honest)

Taken from the official forums.

Would you still play this MMO if it had nothing to do with Star Wars?

I voted no. Star Wars is great, this MMO is not great. I think it does the Star Wars name an injustice in all honesty. Looking at it as a pure MMO, i think Rift was a much more complete and enjyable game.

This just has too many bugs and incomplete features for it to be enjoyable for me. From a pure MMO perspective, it lacks attention to detail.

I disagree on everyone of your points, sorry. If this wasn't a Star Wars MMO, it'd be Mass Effect MMO. Therefore i'd still play it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Riavan View Post
    Like if it was mass effect instead? Yes.
    Uh no I think OP means would you play it just for the gameplay etc. without story.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah, huttball is awesome and the questing is really enjoyable

Deleted
    Definitely, I would prefer quite a few other settings over Star Wars in fact.
    There's quite a number of science-fiction themes I could think of that I would rather play over Star Wars. Like say, Mass Effect.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    A Bioware MMO? Of course I would play it no matter what.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I voted yes. Maybe would have been more correct though. The game has a lot going for it because of the name and lore attached to it. Otherwise this would be another nameless mmo that a lot less people would be drawn to. It's like saying, Hey, would you play WoW if it wasn't WoW? Plus, I think if it wasn't Star Wars, EA or Bioware would not venture an attempt at the MMO market.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

10+ Year Old Account
    Its a new game, Its not going to be perfected the day it releases you know.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by micmacmo View Post
    (Be Honest)
    I voted no. Star Wars is great, this MMO is not great. I think it does the Star Wars name an injustice in all honesty. Looking at it as a pure MMO, i think Rift was a much more complete and enjyable game.
    This just has too many bugs and incomplete features for it to be enjoyable for me. From a pure MMO perspective, it lacks attention to detail.
    I voted Yes. I currently play it for story and leveling and it's great (except for several bugs that sometime plague the experience). And I would probably have enjoyed a non-Starwars story too.
    On the other hand, when I'll have two levels 50, I'll probably stop playing because, as you said, the mmo part is really bad.