Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Anyone Else Unmotivated To Play SWTOR Due To the Slow/Unresponsive Combat?

So I got in on Day 1 of Early Access, played SWTOR a lot, hit 50 (on a Sith Inquisitor Sorcerer), and then stopped playing for a week. I stopped playing, because of the combat — it feels very slow to me, and lacks the fluidity of World of Warcraft's; also, I may just be retarded, but I could swear to God that the Ability Delay is still there. I kind of just powered through this feeling, to get to 50, cause I was like "well, it's just leveling content", but the unresponsiveness, the long animations, and the overall non-fluid feeling just makes me not want to play the game at 50, at all.

I tried to work around this, by making a new Class (a Bounty Hunter Mercenary); but over the past few days, I've just come to the same point. I don't want to play SWTOR at all, because the combat just feels slow and unresponsive. I also tried making a Sith Warrior, but it seems like you have to wait for the animation to connect, before any of your spells actually do damage; this makes me reluctant to play a Tank or MDPS in TOR at all. There are even worse problems with cast time spells, and channeled spells sometimes, though. For example, sometimes the channeling bar will show up, and tick down to zero, but the spell stays off Cooldown, and nothing happens

SWTOR has some other problems as well; but it also has some really cool stuff, outside of combat. Ultimately, though, I'm not sure I can keep paying for it with this combat. I can deal with the combat feeling slower than WoW's combat, I prefer fast-paced, but I can deal nontheless. This is not the case with unresponsive combat, though, it just feels broken

Does anyone else feel the same way?
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yup. I'm still not level cap yet but I experience the same problems with low latency and my ability delay set to 0. When I first started playing I chalked it up to button mashing from WoW to get the most out of my GCDs but I have since ceased the behavior and still run into problems from time to time on my Jedi Knight using both of my channeled abilities. Even outside of that the combat feels slow/unresponsive overall, which I can sort of live with. What I can't live with is the problem where my channeled ability animates, does zero damage and doesn't go on CD.

Get used to it, thats all it takes really. i know where your coming form since wow doesnt have a delay like swtor but meh the story and everything else is amazing

Deleted
    I agree. The warzones are really lagging / unresponsive. However. The game has hardly been out for two weeks. Server issues should be the least of its concerns lol. I'm quitte positive they will boost the servers soon enough. After all. Bioware stated they didnt anticipate the ammount of people buying the game at launch so they are working on boosting ze servers.

Just wait out a little farm gear and stuff. The combat will be amazing once they fix all these issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, among other deficiencies. SWTOR has a LOT of good points and I still enjoy playing it. But the really weird combat animations, annoying delays and fact that you can't mash cast-time spells like you can on WoW is a definite turn off.

Once again, I will play another game along with WoW, but still no game has the mechanical polish that WoW does, so I'm not going anywhere.
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

Deleted
    Since when has WoW's combat been 'smooth'? Whenever I indulge in either PvP or PvE most of the time I see players jumping about like demented rabbits, or directly running through opposing players. That's hardly fluid and smooth. At least ToR looks realistic in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Taldred View Post
    Since when has WoW's combat been 'smooth'? Whenever I indulge in either PvP or PvE most of the time I see players jumping about like demented rabbits, or directly running through opposing players. That's hardly fluid and smooth. At least ToR looks realistic in that regard.
    I think you're confusing fluidity, with player collision
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while

I just got SWTOR and I completely agree. I could never put my finger on why it felt "slower" but you've nailed it. The combat is unresponsive and the animations take time, giving an unrealistic game experience. It doesn't have the polish that WoW does for sure, but seeing as how I just bought the game a couple days ago, I'll keep playing it for at least the first month. However, aside from the unresponsive combat and overdone animations, everything else is pretty good

I enjoy swtor very much, but I've been experiencing this too. I really hope in the coming weeks Bioware adresses the slow and unresponsive combat (which I'm assuming is due to server lag) in warzones and just in general.

I'm west coast and playing on a west coast server with 15 latency, and the spell delay is just ridiculous, even when I'm just out questing. It lacks fluidity and is very frustrating. If it get's ironed out though, which I'm sure it will, the game overall would be even more enjoyable than it already is.

there is an option to check for that.. if it seems too unresponsive:

esc
    preferences
    controlls
    scroll down to bottom
    combat
    abilty action Queue window
    dropdown to .25

now it will feel a bit more responsive and more like other mmo's.

Quote Originally Posted by Arteous View Post
    there is an option to check for that.. if it seems too unresponsive:

esc
    preferences
    controlls
    scroll down to bottom
    combat
    abilty action Queue window
    dropdown to .25

now it will feel a bit more responsive and more like other mmo's.
    I've had that set to zero, since Beta

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't have a problem with this at all. It was an issue in open beta but I've not noticed anything like it during release. I've not done PvP yet though, and this is the area where people seem to have the most issues.

Waiting for the animation to finish before you do damage is by the way not true at all. You do damage when you press the ability regardless of the animation. Try it with Jedi Consular's Project. You see the damage pop up before the spell is actually finished casting, and it works the same for all other damage abilities I've seen.
    Last edited by Cairhiin; 2012-01-02 at 02:31 PM.

I stopped playing on Christmas day and haven't started again. Everything is just so rough/unpolished it makes me miss Rift let alone WoW

Yeah, it does. Thanks for putting this up, since it explains a lot about what's been happening to my toons.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    @OP: The battle system has been getting tweaked a good bit since right before launch in regards to "slow" and sometimes unresponsive combat. I can speak honestly, that within the last 2 weeks, the system (while still not 100%) has improved pretty well, granted some input takes a while sometimes. I attribute this to the likelihood that Bioware has some kind of an input limitation/delay to prevent mass input/etc. I really think that in due time, things will improve.

Ultimately, you have to remember that this game is still very early in production, having been out less than a month. There are thousands of bugs, some of which we see on a daily basis, and we just need to be a bit patient before the programming/coding team for Bioware gets to swatting them. The GCD bug (the one fixed on either the 18th or 19th) was really bad for me, and I have <100ms latency at all times, and was having issues doing stuns/etc on my Juggernaut.

Since the fix, the only thing that occasionally bugs out for me is stuns (maybe once every 2-3 hours?) and the occasional interrupt just failing to go off, yet the UI indicates I casted it, but failed to go through (wtf lol). Ultimately, it just takes a little bit of patience imho. I have faith in bioware to fix their issues soon enough.

Haven't noticed it and honestly can't see why so many people have a problem with it. I've played mostly casters in other mmo's though and they've all had the same thing.

It's just other mmo's have hundreds of mods showing you the 'queue' everyone is complaining about, in sw, they still have to do the thinking. People don't like thinking.
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

10+ Year Old Account
    The difficult thing with this problem is that some players have it, while others don't. They need to find a fix that will sort this problem out for the troubled players, while not creating it for the others ( or screwing up anything else). I myself had this problem, although i have yet to set the delay timer to 0 ( I haven'y played since EA because my game hasn't arrived yet) so that might fix it for me. I have no doubt that they can and will fix this problem as soon as possible. The way i see it is play the free month to get a char or to to 50 and if its not fixed by then w8 for them to fix it and subscribe then, if that is the only thing bothering you.
    It's coming in 1.2!!!

Actually, I am pretty confused as to this ability delay problem people have been having. My friends and I do not appear to have this problem (at least I do not) and I have the ability queue timing set at 0.5. Abilities go off when I press a button, and I am playing from Melbourne, Australia, with latency at 250 ms. I've read a previous post on this site explaining how players press a button but it does not go off until 0.5 s later. 1 press for me and it comes out right away, sometimes too quickly because of keyboard sensitivity. It may be because the keyboard my brother bought for me seems to be a digital keyboard (flat surface, fingertip reading software) that even hovering my finger over the keys immediately triggers an ability, causing unintended stuff to occur.

The lag is annoying me in the ground , together with stupid class quests where you have to solo a elite , without you having a propper heal ability , that stuns you for 4 sec when you need 2-3 more hits on him

10+ Year Old Account
    together with stupid class quests where you have to solo a elite , without you having a propper heal ability , that stuns you for 4 sec when you need 2-3 more hits on him
    You have the option to*.

Afterall, it is still a social game.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.